All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
WHY IS MY IBS GETING WORSE
      #365503 - 07/13/11 11:16 AM
ibsholly

Reged: 11/09/10

just dont get why the more i try worse it gets i folow diet so strong take vitamins probiotics peppermint before food have tons fennel tea and am still so bloated consaption up dont belly bubbleing so down with this ibs

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: WHY IS MY IBS GETING WORSE new
      #365504 - 07/13/11 12:29 PM
Thai

Reged: 10/04/09

This is just venting, right?
Cuz you sure know that this is simply the way things are with IBS.
So many things can cause a flare.
You'll get thru it.
Eat the break the cycle diet for a bit, get enough rest, relax...you know the drill.
Hopefully tomorrow will be better for you.

--------------------
IBS-D

#365505 - 07/13/11 12:33 PM
ibsholly

yes i no i will get there its just i hate it so much when bad i thank you for support

#365508 - 07/13/11 02:50 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Maybe it isn't about the food. Following a diet and focusing on IBS all the time, just reenforces it. Why don't you hit it from another angle? Try the hypnosis cd's if you have the funds. After all, if what you are doing is not working, then you have to try something else.

Well, good luck!

#365509 - 07/13/11 03:25 PM
red2442

Reged: 12/22/10
Loc: Rhode Island

sorry to hear holly! but i def. feel your pain. sometimes i think the very worst part of IBS is how unpredictable it can be and having people understand that. good luck and hope you feel better soon! i just had a very bad attack myself and cried a bit, missed a few days of work but im back to sticking to the diet and just doing the best i can do. hang in there

#365519 - 07/13/11 10:08 PM
skh

Reged: 08/05/09

Quote:

Maybe it isn't about the food. Following a diet and focusing on IBS all the time, just reenforces it. Why don't you hit it from another angle? Try the hypnosis cd's if you have the funds. After all, if what you are doing is not working, then you have to try something else.

You sound alot like Julie, an old poster we used to have here. Well, good luck!

u are so condicending..i spelled that wrong but i hope u get the point...just sayin...

#365523 - 07/14/11 12:28 PM
ibsholly

thank you all for posting makes lots on sense i have hypno cd's i do them all the time

ps skh who is julie

been to see my gi today am haveing test done so hopefully i will get some were i am not going to focus on food just geting well

thank you

#365544 - 07/16/11 05:27 AM
Gerikat

Jeez, I reread my post. I didn't think it sounded condescending, and that certainly wasn't my intention. If I came off that way, then you have my apologies.

#365545 - 07/16/11 06:00 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

For many of us (about 30%) hypnosis does not help at all. For others it only works somewhat and for a small number (apparently including you) it offers (close to) a cure. So please don't keep pushing your solution on us - especially when we are suffering. You sound something like when the doctors say "it's all in your head". Thanks.

Cheers.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

#365546 - 07/16/11 06:31 AM
Gerikat

I am not pushing anything. I am simply trying to help. And, never, never, never, did I mean it's all in your head. I have suffered also. What I was trying to get across to others, obviously did not come across as I meant it.

So,since it seems I will continue to get beat up, (you know how it goes, one starts, and the others jump on the bandwagon), I will refrain from posting on the diet board. Even efter an apology, I can see others will jump on in to beat up Geri, and continue the thread.

I will limit my posts to the hypno and veggie boards, and try to keep you and skh and any others happy. I refuse to remain on the defensive, since I meant no harm.

#365547 - 07/16/11 07:40 AM
capricorn1942

This is not a popularity contest and as far as I can remember, this is the first of your posts I have responded to.

You have responded favorably to some of mine. What I recall is your response to non invasive colonoscopies.

I HAVE liked many of your past posts. But this was before you started offering a "one size fits all" solution to a very complex illness.

We are welcome to post on any board we wish and this applies to you as well.

When someone is complaining about severe suffering, they are seeking commiseration perhaps as much as solutions.

ibsholly (started this thread) says "i have hypno cd's i do them all the time". I think you are preaching to the choir about hypnotherapy. I know I went through them 3 or 4 times myself.

Have a nice day and lets stop this pissing contest. PEACE.

Cheers.

--------------------

#365548 - 07/16/11 07:45 AM
Thai

capricorn....I certainly did not get from Gerikat's post that she was pushing anything on anybody.
She made a simple suggestion to a person who has been coming on here for years with food issues and is getting no where (apparently).
If it isn't working, then move on and try something else....that is what I got from Gerikat's post and IMO it made perfect sense.

And besides....since when do we get to ask people what to post or not post (unless it is personally inflammatory of course, which this was not)?
If you don't like what you are reading, then don't read it!!

--------------------
IBS-D

Thai new
      #365551 - 07/16/11 11:18 AM
Gerikat

Thai, thanks so much for your kind words. You do understand! I really appreciate you coming to my defense. Unfortunately, even after my apology to skh, some just want a fight. I didn't start this "pissing contest" (his words, not mine), but I can certainly finish it.

I am only human, and since I found something that worked so well for me, it is only human nature to want to share it. Shoot...I was feeling so badly, I would shout about hypnosis from the rooftops, if I could. It is strange to me that he would single me out for "pushing" something, when there are many "pushing" something. As with Syl with FODMAPS and fructose, which worked for him, as with Kim, a frequent poster, who avoids yeast due to mycotoxins, because that works for her...so, my question would be, why I am singled out? Hmmm....

Again thank you for understanding and not taking offense.

Gerikat....YW!!...NT new
      #365552 - 07/16/11 01:20 PM
Thai

--------------------
IBS-D

Some Thoughts... :) new
      #365554 - 07/16/11 03:41 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Just thought I would step in here a bit...

Firstly ((((HUGS)))) to all - we are all just humans who are hurting sometimes, and trying to help each other out... everyone has to find their own way - and even within that way, there can be diversions along the way.

IBSholly - you can get support if you need it - go to the healthyaudio contact page, mention you are from this BB and they will help you.

One thing Mike mentions is that for some folks, the symptoms will seem to come back even worse for a bit - this does not happen to everyone, but it is 'common' enough to mention - if you read the FAQ and helpful hints threads on the hypnotherapy forum, some of this is addressed. But it means that the brain-gut connection is trying to find some balance and sometimes things sway back a bit. Do not let this discourage you - it happened to me also - and it was quite frustrating, but eventually you will get there.

IBS is NOT in your head - it is a physical thing, and you can easily read some of the brain-gut information that Heather has on this site showing physical evidence of the difference between brain scans in IBS sufferers and non-sufferers. Hypnotherapy helps to create new neural pathways and weaken old ones. No, it is not a cure, and not for everyone, however, it has the best track record for working for most people, especially when other things have failed.

It takes longer for those who are constantly bringing IBS into their active thoughts even over and above when they are having an attack. I did this, I know. When I wasnt having an attack, I was on another BB constantly writing about the attack, reading what others thought about it, and their attacks, thinking about what I would or would not eat due to the attack and to prevent the next one. None of that worked for ME. Might be different for you. Some do great on diet alone, some supplement the diet with the hypno, and some are able to address their symptoms with the hypno and forego the diet - there are many variations for people, but there always seems to be the common thread of 'more active attention' slower recovery or hindering it.

Gerikat is a dear soul - I have spoken to her over the phone and she is a lovely, kindly dear person, and was just sharing what was helpful to her... I know how it is when you are hurting or frustrated, we sometimes put our own defences onto another person - I have done it here too - we are all just bumblin' along. I am the overly motherly sensitive type - LOL - I cry at commercials! LOL So we bring our strengths and weaknesses here and try to make the best of it - for Gerikat and I, the "best" of it was doing the hypnotherapy - namely - the IBS Audio Program.

Heck, I fought it back in 2000. Thought it was bogus, problem was in my gut, not my mind - but I was spending hours on end in pain, so I went for it. I know every argument because I made it!!! LOL I was a right pain in the keester and then some!!

Hang in there IBSholly - keep in touch with your gastro to make sure all is well in that nothing else besides the IBS is going on - and even if it is, the sessions are helpful to keeping you calmer anyway, sort of peaceful. I have friends who listen to the program (back when that was the only program available) just for the peace and calm!

And think about this - Gerikat and others and myself who have done the program and are now free of the IBS symptoms, come here to support and help those who are in the place we were before.

If Gerikat and others like her, were not here, who would encourage? Who would calm the fears, or tell you where you can get extra help? The booklet offers contact info, and both this site and the booklet have the answers to many of the questions that are asked over and over - even tho it says on the cover - Read the entire booklet before starting -
But I understand this, because I TOO asked over and over, even after reading it!! (Though back then, it was a very small booklet of just a few pages - Mike and I have expanded it to include the stuff others and I used to ask!!!

OK, I am a bit verbose - my apologies - but just know that we are all here to help and support, everyone's intentions are meant well and to be kind and helpful - read posts with a friendly intonation to yourself - and I will try that too!

Peace and be well everyone! xx (((HUGS)))

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

Re: Some Thoughts... :) new
      #365557 - 07/17/11 08:28 AM
ibsholly

i am really so sorry if i have caused trouble i really am i just post what i feel at the time and i might think before i post from now on

all i will say is i do suffer and quite bad i put all my heart in to geting well i think i try to hard want peice in my life from ibs so much i do have other stuff in my life going on for stress but dont we all i feel of all of us with this ibs and we all suffer and all have diffent ibs and ways of copeing

i just feel we should all be alble to post on this board when we need help and advice some people have family friends people to talk to others dont and thats why this board is good
look we all need to stick togther and care or each other and offer adivce becase at end of the day we all have same illness

thank you for all my suppourt

#365558 - 07/17/11 09:08 AM
Gerikat

Awww, ibsholly, you didn't do a thing wrong or cause any trouble. You just ask for some help, and I tried to offer you some...others just didn't like my answer. These boards can get cantankerous at times.

#365559 - 07/17/11 09:10 AM
Gerikat

Marilyn, thanks. You word things so well. I wish I had your grace and poise in writing. My temper gets the best of me at times.

#365560 - 07/17/11 09:35 AM
ibsholly

lets just forget the post and all get in on here were all the same need each other hugs and love all get well

Thanks for the good advice Holly. Peace.-NT new
      #365561 - 07/17/11 10:09 AM
capricorn1942

--------------------

#365562 - 07/17/11 01:22 PM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

what diet are you following? on top of the EFI diet, look into FODMAPs too (see Syl's signature).

I am following a combination of these two diets successfully, for details: http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=diet&Number=365441&page=3&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

but I still have bloating. Cannot be eliminated totally. But if you stick with this diet above and adhere strictly to the rules, chances are that you will have major relief in a couple of weeks time. With the rider that never heard of anyone that was completely symptom-free on any IBS diet. Bloating is far too tricky for that. Definitely worth trying the hypnosis, it has worked for a huge percentage of sufferers, most of those walked away from IBS and had no dietary restrictions or symptoms afterwards.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

#365563 - 07/18/11 10:05 AM
ibsholly

thats great thank you i have doves farm corn flakes can i ask were do you get your white rice cakes from please

Re: rice cakes new
      #365564 - 07/18/11 12:17 PM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

have to be careful as most are wholegrain rice, which I never eat. I usually take them back to Britain from abroad (Hungary)

but here it is:
http://www.sherriffsfoods.co.uk/product.php?id=49&placeValuesBeforeTB_=savedValues&TB_iframe=true&height=630&width=541&modal=true
I bought them in Waitrose one time. they did not have the unsalted variety unfortunately, but it exists:
http://www.sherriffsfoods.co.uk/index.php?id=2&parent_id=1

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3009 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11650

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review