All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
oatmeal vs. oatmeal cookies?
      #365500 - 07/12/11 06:33 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi, I eat oatmeal every morning and don't notice any bloating afterwards. But if I eat oatmeal cookies, I feel quite bloated, more than I'd get if I just ate a flour-based cookie. Is it possible that the oats are not as well-cooked in the cookie as they are in oatmeal, and therefore causing more gas?

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: oatmeal vs. oatmeal cookies? new
      #365506 - 07/13/11 01:13 PM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

I think oatmeal should always be cooked. what are oatmeal cookies btw?

I eat oatmeal with no problems, (although I do get bloated) but I had some oat-flakes the other day, which as it turned out had whole grain oats in it, but apparently still contained equal amounts of SF and IF fibre the packet informed me. it was a dry cereal. Even when I tried eating it with SFS I still had D, which for me indicates that I had too much IF. (get different kind of trouble from too much fat/alcohol) so I think that whole grains are still quite dangerous and they are of course a different kind of IF than in veggies and fruit, so I'd always be careful with eating cookies/biscuits/dry cereal that may have whole grains in it.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

#365507 - 07/13/11 01:57 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Cooking in water forms resistant starches which acts as soluble fiber. It is unlikely that uncooked oatmeal that is baked in cookies will do the same thing and therefore the ratio of insoluble to soluble fiber will be higher in cookies.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#365514 - 07/13/11 05:35 PM
catnut

Reged: 04/08/07
Loc: Kentucky, USA

Howdy,

I've had the same issue with Oatmeal cookies that I've made myself. So there is some issue with the oats not being cooked to soften and release the soluable fiber properties. To me it's like what they say about tomatos and spinach. If you cook them you get more nutrients than when you eat them raw. The oatmeal must be the same way. For us to get the soluable fiber from it we have to cook it. I've toyed with the idea of par cooking the oats then making the cookies with less liquad in the recipe, but I haven't tried it yet.

--------------------
Catnut IBS-C for many years, finally diagnosed in 2005. Wheat and dairy sensative.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3599 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2113

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review