All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
???
      #365471 - 07/09/11 04:06 PM
Lee1

Reged: 07/09/11

I have been going crazy. I got the book First Year for IBS. I have been doing what it says to try and make my systems go away. I have only been eating soluble fibers and tea for over two weeks and still feel bad. I feel worst after I drink peppermint tea. (have given it up) My stomach just hurts all the time and worst after I eat. I don't understand why my stomach hurts all the time if soluble fiber is supposed to sooth it? Am I going to feel like this for the rest of my life no matter what I eat? HELP PLEASE!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: ??? new
      #365472 - 07/09/11 07:43 PM
red2442

Reged: 12/22/10
Loc: Rhode Island

Lee, so sorry to hear of your troubles. Its a very frustrating and confusing thing to have to deal with and i totally feel your pain. however, i do find the peppermint tea and peppermint capsules really help me. a heating pad on the stomach or a hot hot bath also always help my pain. when im trying to stabalize my symptoms i eat very plain for few weeks...im talking tuna with very little mayo, white bread, NO salt (salt seems to make me really bad) plain chicken, potatos and baked lays. but there isnt always a rhyme or reason to when i get sick. tonite for dinner i had peking chicken burgers (a receipe i got of this message board), roasted potatos and beets and i had an awful attack about 5 mins after finishing eating. last week i had pizza and i felt great afterwards. its very annoying! i hope you figure out things that help normalize your belly and you can start feeling better.

#365480 - 07/10/11 06:22 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

It would be helpful if you listed the meals and snacks you have eaten for the past 2-3 days.

Are you IBS-C, IBS-D or IBS-A?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#365482 - 07/10/11 07:50 AM
bamalakegirl30

Reged: 10/23/09
Loc: Alabama

I just had a recurrence of my symptoms so I can sympathize with you. I agree with the other post that you should stick to plain foods. Every person is different so you have to find what works for you. When my tummy is feeling bad I eat lightly salted rice cakes, plain white rice, plain mashed potatoes, plain pasta. I add salt as it does not bother me. I also makes a little dessert where I slice half a banana (I eat really small portions) sprinkle it with a little oatmeal and brown sugar and microwave it for about 30 seconds. I also drink only water and tea. I, personally, do not drink the peppermint tea or the capsules because it gives me heartburn and makes me feel worse but I do drink the fennel tea. I also drink chamomile tea. I find the warmth of the tea makes me feel better. I also try to eat frequently and smaller portions. I find that if I eat a little something even once an hour that I feel better. It keeps things moving. I eat plain for several days or even up to a week before I try to add in plain chicken or something like that. I am mostly IBS-C with an occasional IBS-D episode. You will have to adjust according to your type. Also please share with us what you eat and what time you are eating it as Syl suggested. I find if I move around I feel better but if I am sitting I always have a heating pad on my tummy when I am really bad. Hope this helps.

--------------------
When all else fails.....have tea.

#365491 - 07/11/11 09:16 PM
skh

Reged: 08/05/09

the fennel tea does help me with the pain..i just wish i liked the taste better....i can't drink the peppermint b/c it makes me have urgency issues...i do eat alot of altoids..they sorta sooth..and i eat the heck out of gas x tablets cherry flavor..it might be in my mind but they sorta help the pain too i think...

#365515 - 07/13/11 05:47 PM
catnut

Reged: 04/08/07
Loc: Kentucky, USA

The fennel tea is a good one to do and doesn't cause any upset. I'm not fond of the flavor alone so I make a mix of fennel and anise. I buy the anise seed at the health food store. It's a bit pricey but it lasts a long time since I mix it with the fennel. Also, a nice mix is to use fennel with italian seasonings. It's a great drink when eating italian foods.

--------------------
Catnut IBS-C for many years, finally diagnosed in 2005. Wheat and dairy sensative.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 739 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3230

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review