All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Acupuncter/Massage Therapy?
      #365258 - 06/25/11 01:20 PM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

I know a lot of people swear by hypnosis so I'm also wondering if anyone has had success with other "alternative" methods like acupuncture and massage therapy?

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acupuncter/Massage Therapy? new
      #365260 - 06/25/11 03:13 PM
Thai

Reged: 10/04/09

I have total faith in therapeutic massage therapy for many areas of my health just not for the IBS.
Now accupuncture, done by the right person with the correct knowledge, can be a life changer. My therapist has turned me around a full 360 and I am so grateful.
As with everything, it is not for everyone and I believe finding the right therapist that is the right fit for you is essential.

--------------------
IBS-D

#365262 - 06/26/11 04:47 AM
PMartin

Thanks Thai but can I just clarify that when you say your therapist has turned you around a full 360 are you referring specifically to your IBS?

--------------------

#365264 - 06/26/11 05:13 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Over the course of 5 years I had 3 lengthy acupuncture sessions with three different acupuncture physicians trained in China. It had no effect whatsoever on my IBS symptoms. The clinical evidence suggests marginal if any beneficial effects.

Message therapy may make you feel good but it will likely have little effect on IBS symptoms. There is no clinical trials to show its efficacy.

There are many clinical trials that show gut-directed hypnotherapy has beneficial effects on IBS symptoms. Have you tried hypno?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#365265 - 06/26/11 05:45 AM
Thai

PMartin,

Yes I mean specifically IBS...as well as other aspects of my well being.
I had had some minor positive improvements prior to my acupuncture using a variety of different treatments (which I still employ) but the biggest turn around came after 7 acupuncture sessions. That was last summer and the benefits remain today, for the IBS and the other issues as well.

--------------------
IBS-D

#365266 - 06/26/11 08:39 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

PMartin, yes to all three. Alternative therapies sometimes work well when established Western medicine fails, which is quite frequently. After all, if Western medicine had done its job, we all wouldn't be here, right?

#365267 - 06/26/11 11:54 AM
PMartin

I started with hypno completing 2 of the 6 or so sessions that were suggested. At $100 a session and not being completely convinced it was working/would work made it hard for me to continue. I have not ruled out trying it again though.

--------------------

#365268 - 06/26/11 11:56 AM
PMartin

Thanks again Thai. Can I ask if you had tried hypno and if so what affect(s) did it have? Also, what was the cost for the accupuncture?

--------------------

#365270 - 06/26/11 05:23 PM
Thai

PMartin,

Did not try hypno for the IBS...the only time I ever did try it was to quit smoking and it did not work.

Acupuncture was $75.00 per treatment in North Bay, Ont.

--------------------
IBS-D

#369592 - 06/08/13 01:01 AM
RyanRusty

Reged: 06/08/13

Me too believe in the therapeutic massage therapy for many areas of my health just not for the IBS.

Massage Kelowna

#369594 - 06/08/13 12:58 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

I have used hypnotherapy - the IBS Audio Program that has a forum here - you can read my journey below. Hypnotherapy is not a cure and does not work for everyone - but it has shown great efficacy in clinical trials as well as patient feedback for most people who use it - however the protocol has to be gut-specific or gut-directed, it cant be general hypnotherapy to have the best success.

Another aspect of this, is the fact that there is a strong brain-gut component to IBS, and by reading, researching, etc about it, we are reinforcing the condition and that very connection. I found that once I got away from reading and researching, it was helpful - especially during the time you are doing the hypnotherapy sessions. It is helpful to have the session to listen to at home.

There was a study showing that at least 50% of people use a complementary or alternative treatment - which clearly says that the traditional methods do not work and suffering people look elsewhere to feel better. I know after years of suffering, I tried everything, and whatever works, I say go for it! I think therapeutic massage or anything that makes you feel better, is very helpful - we live in such a stressful world sometimes, and many people do not have human touch on a daily basis, and this can certainly contribute to overall health and wellbeing...

If you have specific questions re hypnotherapy, I would be happy to help...

All the best.

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 243 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5620

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review