All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Hypno Questions
      #365202 - 06/21/11 02:15 PM
hudlander

Reged: 09/26/10

1) Are there any "used" but still good "discount" tapes available for those of us with a tight budget?

2) I do not have a CD player, can I simply transfer the data from the cds to my itunes, download on my ipod, and listen to each session on my ipod?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hypno Questions new
      #365205 - 06/21/11 10:57 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

In reply to your questions~

1) Are there any "used" but still good "discount" tapes available for those of us with a tight budget?

Tapes are no longer offered, though I assume you mean CDs. Heather is an affiliate for Michael and she does not carry discounted stock to my knowledge; you would have to contact her directly to see if she would offer something like that.

I work directly with Michael and his own website. Generally, because the program comes with free support, we have found that it is not cost-effective to do this, given the personal time spent with patients. Where else would you ever get on-going personal care (within reason) for under $100?

2) I do not have a CD player, can I simply transfer the data from the cds to my itunes, download on my ipod, and listen to each session on my ipod?

Yes, you could do that. Michael's website also offers MP3 direct download option as well.

Not sure if a recorded hypnotherapy protocol would be a good fit for you, given your past posts, disbelief, etc. But will address that in your other post. The recorded program only addresses IBS and related symptoms, and usually is not as helpful for those with many other issues, including food issues that are not resolved, needing to be on the message boards, and constantly bringing IBS into conscious thought via diet, research, etc. While the program is very helpful to the majority who try it, it is not the way forward for everyone, just as with any treatment modality.

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

#365273 - 06/26/11 09:24 PM
hudlander

So what are you saying, I shouldn't try hypno?

Listen I am considering hypno because I feel I have exhausted all other options.
I have dieted VERY VERY hard, and still the problems remain.
I post here as I do because I am not getting relief and have been trying to get answers.

After following FODMAP, and still suffering, I have come to think it may be worth it to keep dieting, but instead of micromanaging and trying to find the one trigger food, to chill out and try hypno as it now looks like stabilization relief for me is beyond the scope of diet and all other methods.

It seems to be though that you are trying to "steer" me away from hypno, almost like you feel I would give your program a bad rep.

#365274 - 06/26/11 09:29 PM
hudlander

Quote:

But will address that in your other post

What other post????? Huh?

#365280 - 06/27/11 08:50 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Presumably, the notion that recorded hypno is not suitable for hudlander is your personal opinion. There is little, if anything in the clinical studies to suggest that individuals with unresolved food issues may not responded well to recorded sessions. Most studies, including those by Prof. Whorwell, show gut-directed hypnotherapy can be beneficial for those that have little success with other treatment modalities. It is recommended that hypnotherapy be used as part of an integrated care package including dietary management rather than being used as a stand-alone form of treatment. There is evidence that suggests recorded hypno may not be as effective as working face-to-face with a professional hypnotherapist.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#365284 - 06/27/11 12:09 PM
Marilyn

Regarding answering to your 'other' post, Hudlander - my mistake - I was thinking you had made another post and I was confusing you with another board - so sorry about that -my error.

And yes, Syl is absolutely correct with the comments he made. Totally correct...

It's not 'my' program - anything negative said about it, or those few bad reviews or results given over the 13 years it has been around, does not take away from the program's overwhelming success with the vast majority of IBS patients, (since 1998 with the public, and since 1992 in private practice use of the protocol) so no, you can't really give it a bad 'rep' if you were to do the program and not see the results you seek.

But you see, after 11 years of working with IBS patients as Mike's patient support associate, I sort of get to 'know' if there will be success to the level desired - and given the combination of your posts, I would say your best bet would be to see a private clinical hypnotherapist who is qualified in delivering a gut-directed proven protocol and with whom you could discuss all of your issues.

That being said, I know that is an expensive route, and even given my comments, I believe that you most likely would see some success with the IBS Audio Program - even with all the issues - but we have found that it may be a longer route - you may need to do the program over a few times, you will have to try to refrain from reading about IBS, researching and posting about it, while doing the program for the best results, and since dietary changes have not been helpful, attention to micromanaging diet can be a factor as well - I was almost down to crackers and water by the time I found out about the program.

So, yeah, Syl is right, I guess my cautionary hesitation to 'encourage' you to try the program is my own opinion - but on a very encouraging note, I have spoken with many individuals such as yourself, with issues and anger at their condition, and they were indeed helped - I was swore at before, and later profusely thanked, for the support along the way of a difficult journey.

My own story attests to the fact that the program can be helpful when there are other issues involved, and many past IBS treatment failures.

It took me a long time to see results - I was almost housebound and very ill, and like you, did the program as a very last resort when everything I tried over the course of many years had failed (IBS since 1983) and it was a long journey for me too.

So yeah, I was sort of trying to steer you away, because I know the journey - but I should apologize for that, I just know that most likely, your improvement might not be a straight line for you - and I would not want you to get further discouraged...

So, by way of reparation on my part, if you would like to discuss, call 877-898-2539 and leave a message as to when to call you, or to email me, go to the contact page on healthyaudio and they will fw it to me - mention you are 'hudlander' from the helpforibs boards, as we get many calls/emails.

I am sorry if my previous post seemed a bit discouraging - but I am human too, so, again, I am happy to help if I am able.

You deserve the chance to feel better, and as with my own story, perhaps this will be the final answer - most of Mike's patients were those with stories such as yours - the last resort after all else had failed...

Again, my apologies - all the best to you no matter what you decide.

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

Marilyn new
      #365291 - 06/27/11 04:48 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Well said, Marilyn! I can understand your comments in your first post. I know when you have other "stuff" going on, it may take a bit longer. He seems to have enormous anger in his posts, but who knows. It took me three rounds, and I was dealing with abuse issues, so maybe that was anger also.

You are human, however very knowledgable about the program, and your input here is not only needed, but especially welcomed. Maybe not by some, but most do appreciate your best intentions to help, so may I say, Thanks!

Re: Marilyn new
      #365292 - 06/27/11 05:03 PM
Marilyn

Aww, thanks muchly, Gerikat! You dont know how much your kind words mean to me... you are the BEST! Many many thanks, you are a dear~

--------------------

Thank you for the clarification - nt - new
      #365295 - 06/28/11 05:11 AM
Syl

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#365345 - 06/30/11 01:53 PM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

Guess you are aware that FODMAPs are inorganic problems, with which the hypno can't help. I for instance am lactose intolerant, hypnosis won't cure me of that.

And dietary management is never going to be perfect. If I eat according to my guidelines (which take experimentation btw as there's a lot of individual variance on top of the general rules) I still get bloating esp if there's a more emotionally straining day or something. Some people still have spasms even with the right diet.

As for hypno working better face-to-face, think that comes down to how wild you let your imagination run. I can absolutely imagine that I am with a real person and these tapes are surely better in that they are perfect quality, no background noise, no slurring of speech etc. But I do believe that the more you put it the more you get out. (ie it never even occurred to me that this is somehow artificial cos there's so many advantages to this over a real session). Another example of how you can be a participant here: although Michael says that even if you fall asleep/you just listen it is still effective, for me it has worked a lot better when I set out to take a more active role. I mean to say that I used to just listen, then found my attention straying and increasingly difficult to bring it back. Now I try to take a more active role through repeating some of the things he says. (Obviously when he says 'you're surrounded by this calmness' I repeat 'I am surrounded by this calmness'). I think this makes a difference for me, but it's also something to do with my own experience. Before I bought this 100 day Audio programme, whose role is to 'cure' you (you are not meant to listen to it every day of your life ), in the past I used self-hypnosis all the time for immediate pain relief and for bloating (ie you are telling yourself all these things, not listening to a recording) and it worked wonders. Some people are more hypnotisable than others but my considered opinion is that it is even at variance in individuals, sometimes you being more open to it/ more easily entering that relaxing state where your subconscious may be influences, other times being stiff, anxious, not being able to relax, etc. Just my two-pence.

If you were interested there is a pdf file on hypnosis with a sub-chapter on IBS I am happy to send you, email safo1611@gmail.com

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

#365346 - 06/30/11 02:45 PM
Marilyn

Hi Susie,

Very insightful comments!

You are correct in that hypnotherapy will not take care of lactose intolerance, etc. though I do believe there are studies of this modality helping some physical conditions, but it is not the norm.

And while hypnotherapy is very helpful, Michael never ever has called his program a cure. This is not to say that the program has not helped a great number of IBS sufferers to entirely walk away from IBS symptoms, but it is rare to say any one treatment in any medical arena is a cure each and every time for each and every person.

In-person therapy is helpful to those individuals who have co-morbid conditions in addition to IBS that may perhaps interfere with progress. A recorded protocol, as excellent as it is, cannot be expected to deal with a person's medical or emotional issues and life situations across the board. We know that the program has helped individuals deal with other factors, other health concerns, stressors, etc. in addition to the IBS, but it is not developed to do so.

If a person has anger issues, or a life environment that has constant ongoing abuse issues, other medical conditions, etc. a personal therapist can address these things after doing a personal initial consultation. Not necessarily to cure, but to help the person address or deal with the issues at hand in conjunction with other medical or health care professionals if appropriate.

Michael does this with his patients - so in view of taking all things into consideration, we have to be realistic and not set people up for failure. Certainly the positive outcomes are in the majority, and it is good to have positive expectations and be encouraged by this, but we know there has to be realistic balance too.

Of course we have no way of knowing the background of each person who decides to order the program, but with the personal support, we find this out sometimes and advise accordingly.

It is good to share what works for you, and everyone usually adapts to their own best way forward while listening to the program.

The sessions are meant to be listened to without worry of active thought or participation from your thinking mind - it is not a necessity for success, but no worries if this works best for you.

For most folks, just go with it as it comes and dont push the imagery. As a new listener back in 2000, I did this - I would replay the imagery over until I got it 'right' and I delayed my progress doing this! So dont think it through too much. But again, if this works for you, then go for it!

Each listener needs to do what is best for them - This is what works for you to be actively involved as you have seen it work in the past - but everyone has a right to come to the program fresh - so in that regard, it is best not to discuss the particulars of method and the session content! I am speaking from experience here, believe me!! LOL And not just my own, but what Michael has found with hundreds of patients over the years! (Since 1991)

Thank you for your encouraging comments - again - I have to say that the program works the best when sufferers try their best to not read or write or research about IBS while doing the program, though again, from personal experience, I know this is really hard to do! I used to 'live' on another IBS BB back in 2000, 2001 while doing the program, and posting every little bit of progress or not, and thus not only ruined it for myself ( in terms of time needed to get better) as well as coloring perceptions for others earlier in the program.

Self-talk in the positive is great! Super suggestion - and is really helpful when an attack comes on - you can say, I got through this before, in a little while this will be over and I can get on with my day - I will be better soon. Rather than, oh no, here it comes again, why do I have this, how long is this going to be, etc. That used to spiral me down so bad - learning the positive thought pattern got me out of attacks a lot quicker, and once I did the program, the positive thoughts would come automatically, removing the attack entirely!

One other point to re-affirm that Heather mentioned, and that is the fact that those on the message boards are those who still need them, so consequently, those with the success stories arent here to encourage and share, and what is shared is all the failures, the problems, the questions, and when read over and over almost every day, this further serves to reinforce the IBS condition, and is very counter-productive to what the hypnotherapy protocol is doing. Not that it won't still do its thing - but it takes much longer with more attacks than if you were not reading, etc. One of those catch-22's because I know how it is to come here for support... and even in looking at various threads and the number of views - there sometimes seems to be more views on topics where people are suffering or micromanaging than those posts with neutral or even encouraging topics. Just a little observation, though I could be wrong! LOL

thank you for your introspective thoughts...

All the best in your journey to feeling better!

--------------------

#365349 - 07/01/11 12:28 AM
Susie1985

Yes, agreed with all of those.

I think a lot of people have problems with dairy products without being lactose intolerant. So hypno may well work for that!

I thought that Michael's recorded audio programme is designed for people that have IBS, not tailored to specific individuals/any other life issues. I for instance have no real other issues anymore, I never wake up thinking that how am I going to get through the day, esp as I have experimented with and know how to eat to have no symptoms apart from bloating. I never really had attacks in the traditional sense anyhow cos I have always been lucky enough to have a job being called a student which meant that my hours are flexible, and this is the ideal work for someone with IBS.

I also know that hypno is no cure btw, but I say cure as a vast number of people eat like normal people afterwards without problems. When you are living an almost symptom-free life with dieting, it's not like living like normal people cos you are on a diet. Compare this to someone who have diabetes. They have a diet to adhere to too and don't live like others. But post-hypno you do eat like others. Not complaining at all, merely stating this. So even if it does return, don't think that any other method is comparable to hypno in terms of the quality of life afterwards. From what I've read Marilyn you eat like a normal person without symptoms, have done so for the past ten years, pretty much a cure so far

Incidentally, in the booklet I just read that you are welcome to listen to sessions twice per day, but you should leave 6 hours in between and of course don't listen on some days as indicated.

And just by trying to take a more active role now doesn't mean that I am somehow tensing up, trying to overdo it. Again, think it's helpful to set out with the initial presumption that any kind of hypnosis is the exact opposite of tensing up/effort/straining etc, it is all about relaxing and letting go. Only in that mindset do we become more persuade-able to have normal BMs and digestion. (As far as I know.)

And sorry, of course not trying to influence anyone on how they should do it and didn't want to reveal too much detail.

And if hypno ever fully worked for me like for so many others, I would find it grossly irresponsible and a bit heartless not to return to this board and answer queries and help with things I can help with, exactly because most of us have suffered a lot overall and even if you get on with your life, the past in a way, for better or worse, always stays with us. (Very philosophical!)

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

#365350 - 07/01/11 12:36 AM
mavera

Reged: 12/28/10
Loc: The Netherlands

Quote:

Guess you are aware that FODMAPs are inorganic problems, with which the hypno can't help. I for instance am lactose intolerant, hypnosis won't cure me of that.

Is this true? I thought FODMAP problems are pretty common (1 in 3 of all people), but people with IBS are just so gut-sensitive they'll have much múch more discomfort of it.
Hypnotherapy can also be used in labor or other sorts of extreme pain, it can be more effective than morfine.

So perhaps hypnotherapy won't cure the condition, it can make the symptoms much more bearable, so you'll be able to eat more... I guess??

--------------------
PI-IBS-C/A nausea & very bad gastric pain
meds: lansoprazol+macrogol
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

#365351 - 07/01/11 01:17 AM
Susie1985

Syl will hopefully come in with the figures regarding the prevalence of the FODMAP-afflicted within the normal population. Think it's found in about 50% of IBS and non-IBS population.

I know that this is not the correct definition but for me IBS means that you have no organic problems but digestive stimulants such as fat, IF, alcohol and caffeine cause you D or C or bloating or symptoms. (Y)our bowels are too sensitive, a normal person's bowels don't respond to these stimulants, (y)ours do. Hypno is meant to teach you that your bowels should not respond in such an unnatural way either.

Can imagine that someone is an alcoholic that drinks 4 cups of coffee every day, has two chunks of beef for lunch and also 2 cups of raspberries for dinner, but has no digestive woes. But they may still have a problem with fructose and if they eat apples or pears, not all is well. This person does not have IBS, but has fructose malabsorption, probably.

I went for a lactose intolerance test, which came back positive. Besides I remember that even pre-IBS I had trouble with lactose (which for me is immediate D afterwards). This has nothing to do with IBS, ie don't think it possible for hypno to ever eliminate this. It's something more akin to a nut allergy, although obviously lactose intolerance is a lot less dangerous and it's much more easy to live with.

PS most people have only mild lactose intolerance and can even eat ice cream/ all sorts of hard cheeses/ yoghurt. (not me though) all these FODMAP sensitivities are on a scale, you may be able to tolerate a small amount, others can't.

--------------------

#365352 - 07/01/11 01:21 AM
Susie1985

Gosh, apologies! Sorry, just saw my original post, I meant that yes, FODMAP problems are organic. NOT INORGANIC. Sorry again.

--------------------

#365353 - 07/01/11 04:45 AM
mavera

Quote:

I know that this is not the correct definition but for me IBS means that you have no organic problems but digestive stimulants such as fat, IF, alcohol and caffeine cause you D or C or bloating or symptoms. (Y)our bowels are too sensitive, a normal person's bowels don't respond to these stimulants, (y)ours do. Hypno is meant to teach you that your bowels should not respond in such an unnatural way either.

Yes, true.
But people with oversensitive bowels PLUS other 'organic-bowel issues' also respond extremely upon e.g. FODMAPs and lactose.
Hypnotherapy will not cure the organic condition, but can reduce those (extreme) symptoms too I guess.

--------------------
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

#365358 - 07/01/11 12:44 PM
Gerikat

As a person who has completed the hypnosis by Michael Mahoney, not once but three times, all I can tell you is it works! I see an on-going conversation between Cell Salts, Marilyn, and you, and I just wanted to share my experience, that I have shared with Marilyn many times.

I was one of those people that never knew which food would set me off and when. One time I could eat it, the next time I couldn't. There was no rhyme nor reason to any of it. I could rip my diet apart, control every morsel I put into my mouth, stress my a** off every day of my life about my diet, and again, it did not work. I felt like I was putting all this time and energy into my diet, denying myself good food and fun times, stressing so much,and for what?...I was still at square one.

The day I decided ENOUGH, was the day I got well. I bought the hypnosis tapes, and completed them three times over about a year and a half, started meditation, did some soul-searching, journaled, and took a real good look at my life. I stopped worrying about how every little thing would affect my IBS, I started going and doing what I wanted, I started enjoying a full and complete vegetarian diet, I stopped dwelling on IBS, I stopped labeling myself, "Hey look here, I am an IBS person", I stopped researching it, looking at the science behind it, I stopped trying all these different approaches, FODMAP/fructose and all the other approaches floating around on here, and guess what? I am totally well! I don't think much about it anymore. I only come here to offer a bit of help if I can, and to read the Veggie board.

What I have come to know for a fact, is the more you focus and wrap your life around something, the more it expands in your life. IBS is no different. Redirect, redirect, redirect is all I can say. Michael Mahoney's voice is in my mind and it helps me to focus on what I want in my life, not what I don't want in my life.

Now, you can slice it, dice it, dissect it any way you want, but the hypnosis tapes have allowed me to eat anything I choose, no exceptions. You will never know if they will or won't help an organic problem, unless you try. Don't go in from the beginning, thinking it won't work, because you might get a big surprise.

I don't think anyone will every grasp the full depth of the mind, or the gut, for that matter. So, give hynosis a try, and I mean a real, good try, and see where it leads you.

#365362 - 07/01/11 02:24 PM
mavera

That's a great story Gerikat!

My 'problem' is, I did find out a diet which really really works for me. I really really hate it, but now I know how I should eat to be able to function normally again, I cannot go back and eat just whatever I like..!

--------------------

#365363 - 07/01/11 03:00 PM
Gerikat

Yes Mavera, I understand. That was just one story, mine. Everyone must find their own way. My frustration comes when many just poo-poo hypno, without giving it a chance to work. I think they expect miracles, to be cured after one listen. Or, they pick and choose what it will work for and will not work for, without ever having even tried it. Or they cite all the research that says it may work but in limited ways. And again, they have not even taken a listen. So many experts who don't even know what it is about.

I am glad you found a way that works for you!

#365364 - 07/01/11 03:58 PM
Marilyn

THANK YOU, dear Gerikat ((((HUGS))))) to you - you said all I wanted to say - but couldnt!!!

And very well said too! I am going to share your post with Mike - he loves the encouragement too, to know he is making a difference!
So thank you, thank you!!! xx

--------------------

#365366 - 07/01/11 11:57 PM
Susie1985

I'd be v surprised regarding my own lactose intolerance. Looking back I had exactly the same symptoms as before IBS.

The fructose however...

--------------------

#365367 - 07/02/11 12:22 AM
mavera

Well, I am not glad I hate to have this diet.

I do believe hypno can work.
I am doing it for a few months now, with a professional hypnotherapist, besides the diet. Unfortunately there hasn't been any progression in my diet. Perhaps it's not working because I don't have very much symptoms while on the diet. It's harder to imagine the symptoms if you don't have them much.

As I said, I cannot let go of the diet since it works. Also, I want to add food, because it's too restricting. So that's why I returned to the forum. It's not possible to let the diet go, otherwise my symptoms make me sick and in pain every single day.

My hypnotherapist thought I'm making progression, but I don't really see it.. During the time, I found out more about my diet that works, so I guess that's what she is seeing. If you feel better physically, it also works through to your psychical health.

But I continue doing hypno, although my motivation is reducing, because I don't see results from it.

--------------------

#365368 - 07/02/11 12:22 AM
Susie1985

I am in the same boat. I am on day69 in the hypno, but I too cannot just let go of my diet (which I don't actually hate though and once I'm cured I'll only introduce more fat/have IF without taking a SFS so I won't really start eating red meat/drink caffeine or alcohol or have loads of eggs).

Read another post somewhere by Syl, who I seem to recall said that it's recommended that hypnosis is done alongside other methods ie with dieting (I hope). Kem's daughter too did it this way and she started easing the restrictions gradually. Imo if we were to abandon diet, (cos dieting reinforces the negative thought patterns and means that we are apparently obsessing over what we eat... I am dubious about that) and then we'd be in pain and discomfort, I fail to see how I would NOT then associate hypnosis with something more negative and how I would NOT THEN feel that it's not working for me, how could I then relax and have faith in its efficacy if I don't see immediate result and felt that it required me to get rid of my diet which had worked up till then.

I am of course not sure how to do this all though or how I would know if I didn't have to follow my dietary guidelines or how hypno is meant to work this way. I mean, apparently, it comes down to the individual, I accept that. But I think the best we can do is carry on with the diet, if you've done yours long enough, as I have, it's something that's part of your life and not something you have to overly think about, at least for me, I know what I can eat and how much, I cook for myself entirely , it's all automatic. And then do the hypno till the v end and see then with easing the diet. If it didn't work, start again with hypno until it does

I have great faith in the hypno, as I do in dieting. I have often said that those who said that they don't know what foods set them off at one time and what at another were probably 1. before FODMAPs were introduced into the whole IBS malarkey and we have to accept that 2. what you eat may only cause you discomfort in two or three days time and that 3. even a normal person without IBS will have digestive woes if they are worrying/stressing about something, ie it's not unusual for a non-IBS person really nervous before a job interview to have D. Someone with IBS will have this anxiety all the time especially if they have a real job to go to/ holiday/ anywhere like that.

I imagine that Marilyn back in the day and Gerikat and many who claim that no diet ever worked for them had had this three-pronged problem which led to them believing that for them no diet could ever have worked and that there was no pattern in their symptoms. This is of course just my (to my mind plausible) suspicion.

--------------------

#365369 - 07/02/11 12:31 AM
mavera

Oh really! I might be wrong then. I didn't have lactose intolerance before But now I really respond towards dairy.

--------------------

#365370 - 07/02/11 12:53 AM
Susie1985

Hmmm...

well for me it's different in that with my diet, I still get bloating if no other symptoms. Over the course of me doing this hypno bloating was sometimes better so that is when I felt that it does work. Otherwise I am now often eating a bit of my mum's cooking cos I'm living with my family for a couple of months during the summer now. She cooks with a lot more fat than is permissible for me, and I can see how the hypno has not worked for that really in that I experience the fat induced symptoms now that I eat her food.

I have used hypno for pain relief before and I use it for insomnia successfully, that's why my faith in it is still maintained.

Btw I used to observe all FODMAP rules. I now only don't eat lactose and fructose column foods and restrict fructans in that I don't eat onions/leeks/garlic/artichokes/ Brussels sprouts and I only eat a restricted amount of bread/pasta. I eat black beans, broccoli, cauliflower (all well- cooked), peaches, cherries, apricots, plums, which are other warning foods, yet I have no real trouble. Maybe you'd find the same, do you limit all your FODMAP foods?

How else would you ideally tweak your diet? Or in what other ways do you find it really restricted?
IF-wise there is probably a case for too much IF per meal, Syl for instance really restricts his diet this way. Majority of us don't have to. Find the right SFS and make sure you eat more SF than IF, in accordance with: http://huhs.harvard.edu/assets/File/OurServices/Service_Nutrition_Fiber.pdf
Bananas, beans, chickpeas, barley and cooled white rice/pasta/potatoes have more SF-like stuff in that they have resistant starch.

Fat-wise, apart from nuts, healthy eating requires us not to go over the 25 per cent limit per meal anyhow. For cooking with oil, there's these low-kcal sprays that save you calories. (but even for nuts, one banana has say 100kcal, and with it you may eat 3-4 teaspoonfuls of ground almonds/nuts and be OK with the fat, and believe me I know, fat is the bane of my life, suffered enough because of it.)

Anything else I could perhaps try to give tips on?

--------------------

#365371 - 07/02/11 03:32 AM
mavera

Suzie, nice to read your story. I hope you're right!
But I am dubious about how hypno will work if you don't have much discomfort because of the diet.. That's what my hypnotherapist also said, it's hard to imagine the (heavy) discomfort if you don't have it at the moment.

I agree with you about why people think dieting doesn't work for them. For me, it was a very long & difficult (&restricted&unhealthy&frustrating ) way to find out what to eat and not have symptoms. I was really stunned that I would have to restrict so much!! I could hardly believe, but I felt I needed to try and continue.. I also found food that hurts me, which is not in both diets (sugar, corn starch)! But I would've never found it, if I wasn't on both of the diets.
It's almost impossible to stick with that diet for weeks-months, if you're not noticing drastic improvement. But I did, because I did feel slight improvement, although I kept having symptoms.

At home, I am indeed getting used to my diet. I don't have to think much about what I can and cannot eat.
A lot of food don't bother me I cannot eat, like alcohol, red meat, egg yolks. But there's also a lot of food I really miss. Like tomatoes, red fruit/yams, cheese, desserts (I can only eat semolina). I do not have alternatives for the food I would like to eat. My diet is really boring, I eat almost the same every (two) days. I think there's some stretch, but not in the direction I would like it to be . Adding food goes really slowly, most of what I try, gives me very bad symptoms.

Hypno also helps me with imsomnia sometimes. And the relaxation also sometimes helps me with pain. It's more the relaxation that helps me at the moment itself. I don't feal it really works through during the day..(?)

Thanx for your tips!
I'm not restricting all the FODMAPs. I fortunately can eat white bread/pasta, as much as I like. Potatoes&rice are no problem. I'm not sure about corn, but I do get symptoms from cornstarch.
I don't eat lactose (all dairy), fructose-FODMAPs, artificial sweeteners and sugar (although trying small amounts at the moment). I'm not really sure about which groups are not suitable for me, it doesn't seem to be that obvious. E.g. I cannot eat tomatoes or berries, asparagus, mango, apple, maple syrup. But wheat and banana is ok, recently found out peaches& a tiny bit orange juice(but not quite sure yet). I have to find out all for myself, I cannot rhyme those colums with my reactions(?) It's just trial and error and it goes really slowly to find out (max 1-2 foods a month or so..)

I'm allergic to all sort of beans and nuts.
Perhaps there's some stretch in the IF I can eat, but haven't found out yet. Now I'm eating courgette and a bit cooked sweet pepper almost every day for vegetables. Getting sick&tired of it!

I tried metamucil & benefiber for a few months. Tried to add really slowly, but it only gave me more discomfort. I quit trying, because I thought there was more progression to make in the diet. I use forlax (stoolsoftener) for my C, which works great, although I always have to look at my poo and change the amounts every few days..

Fat is absolutely a trigger for me. Although I can eat chicken or fish, just out of the pan, with oil or fluid baking-'butter'. Oven baked fries also go well!

The biggest restrictions for me are the vegetables and fruit (I really miss tomatoes and red fruit), no desserts (just semolina from rice milk), no cheese. I feel like I'm only eating SF, with not much taste to it.

What I eat:
Breakfast&lunch: white bread with chicken, egg white, rice syrup, banana.
Afternoon: banana (now trying some peach or a bit orange juice with the banana). Self baked low fat waffle.
Dinner: rice/potatoes/oven baked fries/pasta/noodles/bread; chicken/white fish/salmon; carrots/courgette+sweet pepper, sometimes a tiny bit broccoli.
Dessert: semolina with rice syrup
Evening: pretzels, sometimes self baked waffle.

I do have some discomfort, especially during ovulation/period; my stomach/bowel feels more sensitive. I cannot try new things during those days.
But normally if I stick to the diet, it's very light, doesn't really bother me doing my normal things, I can function normal. I frequently wake up feeling a tiny bit nauseated, it disappeares after a few minutes. but it's not at all like what it was before. I had to lie down several times a day, in heavy pain and very nauseated, exhausted.
I do get (bad) symptoms if I try something wrong now. But if I get it, I immediately go to my basic diet till I stabilise.

--------------------

Hypno, diet and other approaches new
      #365372 - 07/02/11 05:24 AM
Syl

Quote:

it's recommended that hypnosis is done alongside other methods

In the reference below written by the UK GI physician, Prof. Whorwell, who did the original studies on gut-directed hypnotherapy and functional GI disorders such as IBS and currently heads the South Manchester Functional Bowel Service , one of the largest functional bowel disorder clinics in Europe, he states
Quote:

However, hypnotherapy should be viewed as an adjunctive treatment rather than as a replacement for conventional approaches, such as the appropriate use of antispasmodics, laxatives, antidiarrhoeals, or dietary manipulation. For instance, the consumption of large amounts of insoluble fibre such as bran can significantly exacerbate the symptoms of IBS [33], and consequently, it would be inappropriate to use hypnotherapy before trying an exclusion of insoluble fibre.

In conclusion, we feel that hypnotherapy is best provided as part of an integrated approach to treating IBS rather than being regarded as a 'stand-alone' treatment. It also has to be remembered that it only helps a finite number of individuals (approximately 70%), and those who do not respond to it become very despondent as they often view hypnotherapy as their last chance to gain some improvement in the quality of their lives. Consequently, it is essential to have a system for supporting those who do not respond and this is much easier to provide if the hypnotherapy forms part of a comprehensive service for looking after these patients.

In the second reference he says
Quote:

However, hypnosis should not be regarded as a panacea as up to 25% of patients fail to respond. Even when patients do improve, conventional approaches to treatment should not necessarily be ignored. Therefore it is still important that lifestyle factors such as diet are also taken into account. In addition, some patients may find that an occasional loperamide or laxative, depending on the bowel habit abnormality, maybe required.

It is clear that the grandfather of gut-directed hypnotherapy considers it important to integrate dietary measures along with other approaches in the management of functional bowel disorders.

Reference
Whorwell, P. J. Hypnotherapy for irritable bowel syndrome: The response of colonic and noncolonic symptoms. . Journal of Psychosomatic Research 64, 621-623 (2008)

Whorwell, P. J., Hypnotherapy for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders , Hypnogenesis

--------------------

Re: Hypno, diet and other approaches new
      #365374 - 07/02/11 07:40 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

Thanks Syl. I have tried 3 different hypnotherapists - Steven Trink (live), Mike Mahoney and John Parada (recorded) without success. I was feeling guily about it and this makes me feel less so.

Cheers

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

#365376 - 07/02/11 08:11 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

It seems to me that:

1) IBS is probably a bunch of what will eventually be shown to be different conditions, all lumped together now because we don't know enough to separate them out. So some people will find Heather's approach enough to experience great relief; some people will find the FODMAP approach enough; some will need different food restriction; some will get no relief from either; some will find hypno enough, some will need hypno and dietary changes; some will need drugs, either alone or in conjunction with other changes.

2) There are both food-related and emotion-related components to some IBS. To me this looks like a continuum. Some people's symptoms are 90% the result of emotion (a "nervous" tummy) and 10% the result of specific foods; other people's symptoms are 90% the result of food and 10% the result of emotion; and there's a wide range in between. For me, the EFI approach completely eliminates the food-related aspect of my IBS: if I eat the way EFI prescribes, I have no IBS symptoms so long as I'm not anxious - having a pleasant day at home, for example.

I don't obsess about my eating. I have found a way of eating that works for me so I do it. (Well, most of the time.) To put it as simply as possible, thanks to the EFI approach I'm no longer afraid of food.

The anxiety part, however, is still there. And the really awful thing is that the anxiety of the anxiety part is about my IBS. Put me in an extremely stressful situation with a bathroom nearby and my IBS is quiet. Put me in a mildly stressful situation without access to a bathroom and my IBS flares. And - through what I'm sure is a learned response - simply being in a situation without access to a bathroom has become a stressful situation.

I suspect that if I had found the EFI approach the instant I developed IBS, I would never have learned to be anxious about it, would have adjusted my diet, and gone on about my life without undue worry about where the restrooms are on this planet. But I lived with IBS for a number of years during which panic about restrooms was a reasonable response to an out of control gut. Now that I understand my IBS and know how to eat, my conscious mind knows that it's the fear about not finding a restroom that is causing me to need to find a restroom. So I just have to find a way to explain that to the subconscious that is kicking my gut into overdrive.

This is what I hope hypnosis will help me with. If, as a bonus, it also makes it possible for me to eat differently, hurrah! But I'll settle for being able to be stuck in a traffic jam without freaking out.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

To all new
      #365377 - 07/02/11 08:16 AM
Gerikat

I am sharing my experience not in an attempt to raise suspicion, to make anyone feel guilty, bad or that there is something wrong with you.

I am simply stating that for me, diet did not work. That may not be the case for many others. It is not debatable for me, it is simply the truth.

Marilyn and Michael have been my saving grace. I cannot help but applaud them. My point in my post was to ask all to make sure you give the hypnosis long enough to work, and not give up too quickly. For some, it may not work, and you will have to look at other options.

I don't need to see links to research or studies or anything else, all I need is my body and my trial and error to share my experience. The "experts" have not helped me in the least. I am my own best expert, IMHO.

So, my wish to all is that you find your way, whatever that may be, and that you become well and stay well. There is no right or wrong way, only the way that works for you.

Be well!

Re: Hypno, diet and other approaches new
      #365380 - 07/02/11 11:25 AM
mavera

Thanx Syl, that clarifies a lot!

My hypnotherapist told me that when you don't notice improvement within 8-10 sessions, you're not responding and it's better to quit (spending money&time). I read a lot here about people who go through the programme 3 times before noticing improvement... That's a bit contradictory to me(??) If I'm not noticing any improvement in the next months, I'll probably quit.

I'm not sure if I've improved during hypnotherapy. It brings some rest to me, I can use the relaxation. But I don't think my symptoms have improved from it.
It's difficult to tell for me, because I found out my diet during the time I did the hypnotherapy.
(I don't go to my hypnotherapist anymore, but just listen to the cd's)

But it's good to know, it's a good thing to do the hypnotherapy besides a diet.
My hypnotherapist never said my dieting was bad (not at all, although she'd like to see me going to a dietician for help). But she thought it was a little bit of a 'pity' I didn't really have symptoms at the moments I came to her.

Perhaps my hopes were/are up to high about what hypnotherapy would do for me, or about the speed it should work.
I also have other issues (process my extremely bad pregnancy with resulting issues). I work on that through psychotherapy.

Since I have postinfectious IBS I have much faith in the fact that I will get improvement by time.. But it can take years.
I also think/feel the improvement (recovery) can be faster or the chances recovery will occur are higher when I eat according to my diet and have as little as possible symptoms. I keep my bowel as quiet as possible, so it's the best environment to recover.

--------------------

#365381 - 07/02/11 11:26 AM
Susie1985

Think you could just have a problem with other stuff in dairy, not necessarily the lactose. There is a lactose intolerance test which you may want to go for if you were interested.

--------------------

Re: Gerikat, Sand, Syl new
      #365382 - 07/02/11 11:51 AM
Susie1985

Gerikat, not sure when it was that hypnosis helped you, but for instance for Marilyn if it was 10 years ago, FODMAP is a more recent phenomenon I think, so her saying that diet never worked for her, maybe it would have, had she tried the FODMAP. But how could she, if it was not available/ in widespread use? Maybe the case is the same with you.

Sand, what an insightful post. I think there's a very good chance that hypnosis could help with that. It helps condition the mind I think. Best of luck.

Syl's post, as always, great post there, I thank you too. If you or anyone else can account for the fact that some people did eventually get relief but only after listening to the whole programme three times over (how did they not lose faith?? why did it take so long to work) I'd be really interested. I don't think my IBS has been massively improved through hypno so far, or at least it's certainly not helped with my sensitivity to fat. But other kinds hypnosis has worked in other areas of my life and I think I am v susceptible, so I am trying not to lose faith here but it really should have been that hypno should have worked for me straight away. And it did not. Or at least it did not for fat. Regarding other aspects, I get bloating from fructans, but that is organic again probably, and I myself started incorporating a lot more IF into my diet without trouble whilst I was on the hypno, so I have no way of knowing whether I'd have been fine with it all along if I'd not been so narrow-minded in the past to assume that I was really that sensitive to IF, when I'm apparently not and probably never was to begin with.

--------------------

#365383 - 07/02/11 11:56 AM
mavera

I also think it's not the lactose (just by itself). During my pregnancy, I also had problems with all dairy, not just lactose. Although the symptoms were different then.

Now I also have symptoms after eating veal, within 15 minutes I get nauseous. I thought it perhaps contains the same proteins (dairy-veal)??

I haven't been eating dairy for a few months now, but before I did try lactose free yoghurt. I remember I did have less extreme symptoms than from normal yoghurt.
I already became nauseous at the moment I ate normal yoghurt... With lactose-free yoghurt it was not the case.

But I'm going to try lactose-free yoghurt soon, I'm curious to find out. Now I'm stable, I can see what it really does. I'm pretty sure I will get nauseous

(although I can eat really small amounts, in bread or so)

Don't need testing. If I get sick I know

** What do you eat for dessert?

--------------------

Re: Hypno Questions, Syl pls your thoughts here! new
      #365384 - 07/02/11 12:02 PM
Susie1985

I do have discomfort, I get bloated and I still have trouble with fat when I don't wholly cook for myself. It's inevitable as it's v easy to overdose on the fat because I am now really restricting certain carbs (due to another factor, my blood sugar level woes).

Syl, why would you think sugar and cornstarch and maple syrup are problematic for her?

tomatoes or berries are v high in IF. Tomato puree/paste may work? It is roughly same SF-IF. Berries, Syl makes his own berry juice!
these are high in fructose: mango, apple.

Let's wait for Syl's response (he's the most expert on this board after all)

--------------------

#365385 - 07/02/11 12:04 PM
mavera

Quote:

...and I myself started incorporating a lot more IF into my diet without trouble whilst I was on the hypno, so I have no way of knowing whether I'd have been fine with it all along if I'd not been so narrow-minded in the past to assume that I was really that sensitive to IF, when I'm apparently not and probably never was to begin with.

Interesting!
I have my hopes up I will find some areas in my diet too which are much more stretchable

--------------------

#365387 - 07/02/11 12:23 PM
Syl

It was discussed in this thread

--------------------

#365388 - 07/02/11 12:26 PM
Gerikat

I am not Marilyn so I cannot speak for her. You would need to address your question to Marilyn, not me. For myself, I have already addressed this issue in detail. I don't know how much clearer I can be.

#365389 - 07/02/11 01:08 PM
mavera

Thanx for your thinking along with me!

Unfortunately berry-juice and tomato paste/puree gives me pain. I thought it might be too concentrated in ....something???

I think pain for me is induced by FODMAPs, nausea by 'EFI-IBS-triggers' (dairy/red meat/fat etc).
Although I'm not sure what IF does. carbonated drinks also causes pain I think. Hmm...

I might try whole berries/cherries and tomatoes (cooked/chopped), not just the juice/concentrated stuff...?

It seems I can eat peaches (fresh!) and sweet (bell) peppers (cooked, nót peeled). They also contain quite some IF I guess? Perhaps the IF is not so much my problem (that'll be great )

--------------------

#365390 - 07/02/11 01:38 PM
Susie1985

I have tried eating soy with success, there's soy milk and soy yoghurt. Maybe you could try that.

I am a healthy eating freak and these days I restrict carbs to the point that I never have desserts. I sometimes eat cherries/peaches/ apricots after a meal though.

Can you not have sugar at all?
I am looking to try stevia, otherwise I never use sugar/ eat sweets for a number of reasons. (Commercial food I eat may contain sugar though. For instance there is this which I eat all the time: http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsburys-price-comparison/Cooked_Prepared_Meat_And_Poultry/Sainsburys_Basics_Tikka_Sliced_Cooked_Chicken_Breast_230g.html
only tikka flavoured chicken which has no lactose and only cooked chicken whose taste I like.)

I eat pudding sometimes, not with sugar but with fruit. But pudding has cornstarch in it. Or maybe you could use xantham gum instead of cornstarch to make it, but as for sweetening if you can't have sugar or sweeteners. Hmmm... I am still confounded that sugar gives you problems, just don't get it how and why. Maybe you could try stevia. As far as I know that is not related to sugar.

--------------------

#365391 - 07/02/11 01:42 PM
Marilyn

OK folks - I am going to cut to the chase, and be as kind and yet candid as I can - and my caveat here is that I am tyring to be helpful within my area of remit and my experience of working with IBS patients for over several years, and that I am still here - on a HOLIDAY weekend, as I always check to see if folks need me - thank you Gerikat for your graciousness and help - you are truly a GEM.... xx

So, I am not here to debate anything, just to state what I feel will be helpful to you - I have repeatedly put the FREE support line up - and no one from this BB has called it; because of pre-conceived ideas in helping people to have a 'fresh' view when coming to their hypno program, it isnt advisable to discuss back and forth and give folks undue expectations of what they may or may not experience - sometimes mindsets are developed when reading posts like these, that, had an individual gone into it 'clean' would give them a better and quicker result - not always - but it does color things.

Regarding this:

Quote:

"... (for)Marilyn if it was 10 years ago, FODMAP is a more recent phenomenon I think, so her saying that diet never worked for her, maybe it would have, had she tried the FODMAP. But how could she, if it was not available/ in widespread use? "

Oh dear... are you actually saying, that it would have been better for me to be on the FODMAP diet (had it been available) for the rest of my life, and never ever have even tried the hypnotherapy - which DID help my IBS - and without being on a diet???????

With all due respect, that is ABSURD!!!

At one point, I was in the hospital after being on crackers and water for days - and had NPO - nothing by mouth - except ice chips - and still had symptoms with the barium!!!

I am NOT here to debate hypnotherapy and its benefits vs. diet.

I am here to state what has worked for me, and for many of the folks I speak with all over the nation : never ever have I said that hypno works for 100% - just as the data suggests - however - I 'love' the wording how hypno 'only' works for about 70% - YET - diet, supplements and meds work for only 50% - And no, I am not going to use my time to go look up the reference - and itsnt it interesting to note that in England, the NICE guidelines suggest hypno as ONE of the psychological treatments that are suggested after 12 months of conventional treatments not working - and then this is the treatment that usually works!

So, take meds, do diets, etc. first and put meds into your body first, and after a year of suffering, then do this as a last resort.

Michael has found that the folks he treats upon INITIAL diagnosis - before any other treatment for IBS is given - that these folks improve more quickly. Wonder why?

Because they have not had months or even years of "I have IBS and nothing works" thinking! IBS is not in the mind, but there are differences in the brain - there is a physical way the IBS sufferer perceives pain, visceral hypersensivity, eneteric nerve pathways that 'ingrain' symptoms/motility patterns, etc. so something is 'going on' in the body. It is not woo woo - as we all know that the mind and thinking creates bodily reaction - just think simply of an unexpected very loud noise or bang and how the body responds automatically (heart races, you jump, etc.)

Now I am NOT saying that if diets, etc work for you, then you should abandon the diet, etc - NOT saying that.

But what I AM saying, in just with the nature of the post content, is that it just may be that any hypno program may just not totally be of the benefit you seek ~

This is most likely either:

as mentioned in the stats - there are definitely some folks who do not respond to the 'method' of hypnotherapy - that is, they cannot get into that state in order for it to work properly (this is about 20% of the population in general.)

~ or because the individual is constantly reinforcing that they have IBS by reading about it, actively thinking about it, writing about it, doing the diets, micromanaging every aspect of their diet, and even lives (and yes, I did this too - and believe me, I know where you are now, but without even a diet working!!!)

~ they have other things going on besides IBS. It is my opinion - dont shoot me - (and as mentioned above) that if your symptoms of IBS are abated via diet, etc. you either have another condition such as lactose intolerance or sensitivity, etc. that isnt necessarily IBS in and of itself, but has been labeled so - and many people without IBS have difficulties with fat - we shouldnt be eating some of the things we eat anyway - eating crap and having D later is not IBS, but could develop into it!

You can have IBS in addition to other conditions that also causes IBS symptoms, and so the symptoms linger on even if the condition is addressed.

Michael and I have both met in person, (both in the US and the UK), the good doctor and grandfather of hypnosis for IBS and have listened to his lectures on hynosis. I can only say that all of Mike's very first IBS patients back in 1991 were desparate and had tried everything to help and their Gastros and GPs referred them to Michael at the medical centre he works at - as a very very last resort... Dr. W first published his findings in 1984 - this is where Michael turned for information about his research - but they do not have the same protocol - Michael developed his on his own over the course of a few years with patients he worked with for free. (You can read about this on this site.)

His results are very encouraging - but here is the thing....

Back then, the internet wasnt the same as now, of course, and BBs like this one werent around -

His patients came to him after other stuff was ruled out and nothing else helped.

These patients did not read or write or post about their symptoms (and again, I am here to state that I did... over and over again on another BB, so I am not being a pain here, I am just sharing with you the benefits of my OWN mistakes and findings!!!)

If the diet is working for you, then what are the symptoms you are trying to abate with hypno? While most people are able to 'go off' IBS diets after hypno, this does not mean everyone will, there are a number of folks who are on the EFI or other diet with great success, but used the hypno to take away those last remaining symptoms -especially the anxiety component - but there are those like myself, who no longer need the diet - so yes, as mentioned above - there are combinations and everyone is different.

The bottom line is this -

For MOST people, if you keep discussing, reading, researching, dissecting your diet and trying to figure out what works at the same time you are doing the hypno, and you will either be delaying or sabatoging your progress. Period.

After having IBS since 1983, speaking with others who have IBS since 2000, I have seen these patterns repeat over and over - and I KNOW hypnotherapy works for MOST of those people who, like I was, were at the end of their rope.

These are my experiences with myself and others, my thoughts, my opiniosn, and some facts thrown in - ONLY sharing to help if I can. I am not dissing diets or any other things you may do to help yourself feel better, and if you need to do it and it helps you - then go for it - I am only sharing what I know to be true for those folks I have worked with before, and what I am observing here.

Hypno should be used as a holistic approach alongside other treatments - however - it has been my finding that it is done after all else has failed, and becomes a stand alone treatment because of that fact.

And with 80 - 92% of Michael's patients showing good efficacy, that is pretty good - with close to 100% at least getting the benefit of better sleep, coping and calm at a minimum - and NO bad side effects - free support if needed.

So, unless something really different is asked or needed, I will leave it to your good selves to decide what is best for you - and if you are on the BBs reading and posting while doing the hypno, the process may still work and be helpful to you, but be aware of the other side to this as well.

And yes, most hypnotherapists will say that after a given number of sessions, if you have not seen any improvement, then to give it up. But thank the good Lord above, that I did not follow that - it may be true for some - but we have seen time and again, that NOT giving up can make all the difference. After all, you most likely have had IBS longer than the 100 days it takes - each of the sessions addresses a new thing and are interlinked in a way that progresses you along - if you stop early, you never get that initial benefit. Again, not everyone is helped, some to a small degree, and so forth - but MOST are helped, and MOST are able to walk away from IBS and their other past treatments.

Good wishes to you all in finding YOUR own way forward... I wish you all well! xx (((HUGS)))

--------------------

#365392 - 07/02/11 02:17 PM
mavera

I am allergic to soy too.. :? (I'm very allergic to peanuts and in lighter grade to nuts and beans-also soy beans)

Indeed, I cannot eat pudding, although I think I can have small amounts of cornstarch. I've been trying it lately. But pudding (custard or plain cornstarch) makes me nauseous.
Xanthan gum? I could try that, thanx!! (I already tried potatoe-starch instead of cornstarch, but it tasts like crap for desserts !!)

I'm also not sure about the sugar anymore... I was tested (about a year ago now) by an electro-acupunturist, and sugar&honey came out to be 'intolerances'. So that's when I started avoiding sugar..
During the beginning of the EFI-diet I added sugar back. When I wasn't stable yet, I kept getting nauseous and I thought it was from sugar. If I look back at my food-dairy it might be possible I was confusing sugar with cornstarch. So I'm trying very small amounts of sugar for a few weeks now (as additives), and that seems to go ok.
Although I tried a handfull of baked crisps yesterday, which contains about 6g/100g sugar, and this morning I had quite some stomach pain.
But it could also be the orange juice from wednesday, too much peaches last week or perhaps the combination with my ovulation. I'm trying too much at once again

I think I've read someting about stevia, that it could be a FODMAP too..?? Not sure though.

Actually I use rice syrup for sweetening. I can use it as much as I want!!
So that's my sugar-alternative, although it might be much easier to be able to eat some 'normal/processed' food if sugar was no problem.

Something else: I tried yeast-flakes (as cheese-replacement!) and quorn (as meat replacement) buth both gave me nausea (same IBS-reaction as meat)!! Anyone knows what that might be??

--------------------

#365393 - 07/02/11 02:30 PM
Susie1985

in response to this:
'Oh dear... are you actually saying, that it would have been better for me to be on the FODMAP diet (had it been available) for the rest of my life, and never ever have even tried the hypnotherapy - which DID help my IBS - and without being on a diet???????'

All I said and I am now stating facts, that FODMAP was not really recommended to anyone with IBS 10 years ago, it was not available was it. You said that for you no diet never worked. Maybe it would have. When did I say that I wish dieting worked for you instead of now being symptom-free after hypnosis? On the contrary, if you searched back, I think I stated in one or two past posts that I am actually glad that you turned to hypno which got rid of your IBS and you can now lead a full life without being on a diet and I never referred to myself or anyone else that is on any sort of diet as leading a full life.. Please next time do not misinterpret my words and also, just because I advocate dieting does not mean that I don't fully support hypnosis even if it's not worked for me (yet).

And for your information the trouble I have with fat is certainly indicative of not everything being OK in the fat and subsequent digestion arena. Does not mean that I don't have IBS, cos 'many people without IBS have difficulties with fat'. Don't think any medically qualified doctor would agree with you that if you have no nut allergy yet have digestive problems after a handful of nuts/almonds then you do not have any problems cos 'many people without IBS have difficulties with fat'. If you'd read any of my posts closely on here you'd have realised that I eat extremely healthily and restrict fat to the absolute minimum (so as not to have problems). Hardly think I am just one of those people 'without IBS, who have difficulties with fat'. anyway I am doing what you are doing, reading something into your post which you did not mean probably (read first part).

As for whether you should be on a diet while on the hypno, read Syl's post please.

Anyway, let's not argue, no point, can I please ask how it was for you, when you did start seeing improvement after the hypno, was it all at once, like from one moment/day your symptoms were gone completely? Or how did that happen? Gradually? Did you have relapses afterwards? Did you ever feel your faith wavering? Same questions for Gerikat.

Thanks.

--------------------

#365394 - 07/02/11 02:45 PM
mavera

Thanx Marilyn

I'm sure no one thinks you should've suffered through the FODMAP-diet! But it might be possible FODMAPs could have worked for you back then.
But, ofcourse, getting free of symptoms with hypno is a much better way!! I'm very happy for you that it worked so well for you.

I think other issues can stand in my way for IBS-hypno to really work (yet).
I understand that focussing too much on my diet/reading about IBS etc can undermine the effectiveness of hypnotherapy.

But at the moment, I cannot live without my diet and it's my first concern to make my diet less restricting. Because I think it's very unhealthy now (too little variety).

It's good to read your post, that for some it does take more than a few sessions/rounds to get to the point where hypno starts working.
I do feel/felt benefit from some aspects, mostly relaxation.

I'll first start focussing on my diet, make it less restricting. Keep doing hypnotherapy, but not expecting too much of it yet.
When I get my diet to a point that feels better for me, I am going to try focussing less about the IBS. Just stick to the diet and stop reading about it.

--------------------

Reply new
      #365395 - 07/02/11 03:05 PM
Marilyn

Firstly - written words cannot convey voice tone or intention - if you knew me, you would find me a gradmotherly sort - so sorry if my post seemed otherwise.

Nope, not here to debate. I respect your thoughts and your journey - you have to do what you feel is best for your good self.

In reply - just to say, you can read my journey link below for most of what I went through - and what happened for me may not be what happens for you or others. I am one of the WORST cases in terms of my IBS symptoms and my results - took longer for me than many of the people I speak with!

So in reply to your questions - my experience may not be the same as everyone, of course - but I get why you need to ask!

>> can I please ask how it was for you, when you did start seeing improvement after the hypno, was it all at once, like from one moment/day your symptoms were gone completely? Or how did that happen? Gradually? <<

It took forever for ME to see results. (again, others have been faster - we have some folks who see improvement after one session, some within two weeks, etc.) Why set yourself up to compare - but - for me - it was a slow go. Nothing on the first round, nothing on the second round - but -I was going through other health issues and the sessions helped me through those... but the IBS was just as bad as ever...

On the third round, after completion, I just noticed - yes gradually - that I did not have attacks as often, and when I did, they did not last as long - and - at one point when I felt a horrific attack impending - I had the 'immediate' automatic thought - I do not want this - and it went away within seconds! So yes, the progress was gradual - less severity, less frequency, then tapering off to less and less altogether.

Did you have relapses afterwards?

Yes - Mike explains this as shadow fears and can happen for some people and for various reasons - sometimes your body needs to find balance. And from time to time, I did get attacks again - but - they were not as often and I had a different perception in that 'this wont last and I will be OK in a little while."

Did you ever feel your faith wavering?

Yes, all the time. In fact, I was VERY obnoxious about hypno working for me. I thought it was bogus, unscientific (at the time, and having been trained via Mayo Clinic affiliated college)and would not work for me. I only did it at the urging of another who insisted as it worked well for him. I emailed Michael constantly with every little symptom and turn of event and was a right pain in the posterior every step of the way!!!!

Just for your info, I have not only read Syl's post, but I have, in bulk, duplicated copies of EVERY hypnotherapy study done by all researchers in the field - I have read all of Dr. W's research as well as others and have it listed as some of the scientific research verification we do that backs up Michael's studies for various projects we do.

We know that diet can be helpful. But we also know that continuing on a diet after hypno is sometimes no longer needed. Take a look at the video we recently did, and you will see where two of the patients we interviewed no longer follow diets. So if your diet helps and you want to be on it while doing hypno, there is no problem with that - I never said not to be on a diet - I would be curious to know if all of those who have done another hypno protocol still need to be on diets as well, in order to maintain results. It just isnt a straight line - some do, some dont. If you need to still be one it, then do! I only know that many are not on any diets any more - doesnt mean that all arent.

If the FODMAP is working for you, I say HURRAY!!! That is great - and for anyone who does this diet - go for it if that is your way to feeling better and healing.

But for those of us who are free of needing specific diets, I say hurray for us too! There IS hope either way.

I can almost predict the outcome of this, to be honest, having seeing it over and over - no worries though! All the best to you.

I will now leave it to your good selves - I dont think I can make myself any more clearer, at the end of the day, you will find your way.

For others reading this silently and taking it all in, if you have any questions, please feel free to call for private support if you need it. There IS hope, I have talked to so many folks - some of whom have actually cried once they got their lives back - that's why I continue to do what I do...

Be well - Peace!

--------------------

#365396 - 07/02/11 03:13 PM
mavera

I also don't think it's weird only 50% (or whatever) of IBS sufferers says diet doesn't work for them.

Most IBS sufferers never tried or even heard about a diet like EFI or FODMAP.

My sister also has IBS, since she was little (not as bad as I have, and hers is not post-infectious).
She did try lots of things in her diet, kept food-diaries etc in the past. E.g. no milk for a few weeks, than no chocolate, no wheat etc.
She now says diet doesn't work for her. But she never tried it like we do here.
I think this is how it goes for a lot.

--------------------

#365397 - 07/02/11 03:20 PM
Gerikat

Susie/Cell, you seem to have found your answer in FODMAP and everything Syl preaches, so I say wonderful for you. You have found your way! My answers to your questions, I doubt will matter much.

But here goes: Improvement was subtle, symptoms gradually subsided, no relapses, and my faith wavered quite frequently. So, there you have it.

Now, I am done here, and off to the beach for a happy 4th. And yes, I will eat everything in site, (but the animal products). teehee bye-bye

#365398 - 07/02/11 03:27 PM
Marilyn

Yep, done here too!

And I am now off to dinner at a friend's and will do likewise as Gerikat! Yum!

Happy 4th everyone!!! Get off the computer and go outside!

LOL (I should take my own advice!)

--------------------

#365403 - 07/02/11 05:56 PM
Thai

Reged: 10/04/09

I have been following this thread in it's entirety and have so wanted to stop in and comment but refrained from doing so til now.
I will keep this short, sweet and to the point.

Marilyn.....what a wonderfully written dissertation and long over do I might add. Thank you for all you do for us, the people in need.

Susie...if I understand what I have read, you are currently in hypnosis? If so why in the world are you on here several times a day? The first thing they tell you about this treatment is to "stay away form the boards". You practically live on here. You first came on telling everyone in no uncertain terms that cell salts were the be all and the end all to IBS woes and if everyone would just listen to you we would all be so much better. You have found another cause and as your sig says, you are now not convinced that they (cell salts) were the magic bullet you made them out to be.
Please just state what you believe to be working for you, offer it up for everyone to make their own decision and MOVE ON!!! The more you bombard everyone with your opinion the more you alienate everyone and possibly discourage them from trying something that very well may have been a help to them.

Dang....it is times like this that I really wonder why I come here...but then I think about it and realize that the people like Heather, Marilyn, Gerikat and Syl are the reason that I am as well as I am today compared to 2 years ago.

And now I am off to celebrate my country's birthday.

--------------------
IBS-D

Re: Marylin, Gerikat new
      #365406 - 07/02/11 11:22 PM
Susie1985

Thanks to Gerikat and especially Marylin for that, I was merely interested. If one does the recorded version I fail to see how it would do any harm, so seems a bit strange for anyone to be advised to abandon hypno after a couple of sessions if there's no noticeable improvement. I am certainly sticking with it.

And my goal of course is to be off any diet!! Whilst it's not hugely interfering with my life, things would be wonderful if I too could eat like a normal person.

--------------------

#365407 - 07/02/11 11:27 PM
Susie1985

I never used to be adequately serious about science, now I am. there is no scientific evidence that cell salts work for IBS or any other condition. Quite a few people into alternative medicine report so though, but I am not convinced because of my new-found belief in science and because I had to abandon them due to lactose intolerance. (They contain lactose) didn't wish to advocate something that I was no longer taking, merely.

--------------------

#365511 - 07/13/11 05:24 PM
hudlander

Quote:

Regarding answering to your 'other' post, Hudlander - my mistake - I was thinking you had made another post and I was confusing you with another board - so sorry about that -my error.

And yes, Syl is absolutely correct with the comments he made. Totally correct...

It's not 'my' program - anything negative said about it, or those few bad reviews or results given over the 13 years it has been around, does not take away from the program's overwhelming success with the vast majority of IBS patients, (since 1998 with the public, and since 1992 in private practice use of the protocol) so no, you can't really give it a bad 'rep' if you were to do the program and not see the results you seek.

But you see, after 11 years of working with IBS patients as Mike's patient support associate, I sort of get to 'know' if there will be success to the level desired - and given the combination of your posts, I would say your best bet would be to see a private clinical hypnotherapist who is qualified in delivering a gut-directed proven protocol and with whom you could discuss all of your issues.

That being said, I know that is an expensive route, and even given my comments, I believe that you most likely would see some success with the IBS Audio Program - even with all the issues - but we have found that it may be a longer route - you may need to do the program over a few times, you will have to try to refrain from reading about IBS, researching and posting about it, while doing the program for the best results, and since dietary changes have not been helpful, attention to micromanaging diet can be a factor as well - I was almost down to crackers and water by the time I found out about the program.

So, yeah, Syl is right, I guess my cautionary hesitation to 'encourage' you to try the program is my own opinion - but on a very encouraging note, I have spoken with many individuals such as yourself, with issues and anger at their condition, and they were indeed helped - I was swore at before, and later profusely thanked, for the support along the way of a difficult journey.

My own story attests to the fact that the program can be helpful when there are other issues involved, and many past IBS treatment failures.

It took me a long time to see results - I was almost housebound and very ill, and like you, did the program as a very last resort when everything I tried over the course of many years had failed (IBS since 1983) and it was a long journey for me too.

So yeah, I was sort of trying to steer you away, because I know the journey - but I should apologize for that, I just know that most likely, your improvement might not be a straight line for you - and I would not want you to get further discouraged...

So, by way of reparation on my part, if you would like to discuss, call 877-898-2539 and leave a message as to when to call you, or to email me, go to the contact page on healthyaudio and they will fw it to me - mention you are 'hudlander' from the helpforibs boards, as we get many calls/emails.

I am sorry if my previous post seemed a bit discouraging - but I am human too, so, again, I am happy to help if I am able.

You deserve the chance to feel better, and as with my own story, perhaps this will be the final answer - most of Mike's patients were those with stories such as yours - the last resort after all else had failed...

Again, my apologies - all the best to you no matter what you decide.

SO I don't understand, you didn't want me to do hypno because you think I am too "angry" to be treated effectively?
Or you thought I would yell at you if it didn't work out?

Or you wanted me not to do hypno because it is a long, non-linear path which you wanted to spare me from, even though you claim it was/would be successful?

HUH?
I'm confused.

Also, if I do hypno, I can't do further IBS posting or research?

Huh?
Syl this make sense?

Merylin, I will contact you by email.
-Hud

Re: Marilyn new
      #365513 - 07/13/11 05:28 PM
hudlander

I contacted you on the website Marilyn, please email.
-Hud

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 257 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 36118

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review