All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Hypno Questions
      #365202 - 06/21/11 02:15 PM
hudlander

Reged: 09/26/10

1) Are there any "used" but still good "discount" tapes available for those of us with a tight budget?

2) I do not have a CD player, can I simply transfer the data from the cds to my itunes, download on my ipod, and listen to each session on my ipod?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hypno Questions new
      #365205 - 06/21/11 10:57 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

In reply to your questions~

1) Are there any "used" but still good "discount" tapes available for those of us with a tight budget?

Tapes are no longer offered, though I assume you mean CDs. Heather is an affiliate for Michael and she does not carry discounted stock to my knowledge; you would have to contact her directly to see if she would offer something like that.

I work directly with Michael and his own website. Generally, because the program comes with free support, we have found that it is not cost-effective to do this, given the personal time spent with patients. Where else would you ever get on-going personal care (within reason) for under $100?

2) I do not have a CD player, can I simply transfer the data from the cds to my itunes, download on my ipod, and listen to each session on my ipod?

Yes, you could do that. Michael's website also offers MP3 direct download option as well.

Not sure if a recorded hypnotherapy protocol would be a good fit for you, given your past posts, disbelief, etc. But will address that in your other post. The recorded program only addresses IBS and related symptoms, and usually is not as helpful for those with many other issues, including food issues that are not resolved, needing to be on the message boards, and constantly bringing IBS into conscious thought via diet, research, etc. While the program is very helpful to the majority who try it, it is not the way forward for everyone, just as with any treatment modality.

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

#365273 - 06/26/11 09:24 PM
hudlander

So what are you saying, I shouldn't try hypno?

Listen I am considering hypno because I feel I have exhausted all other options.
I have dieted VERY VERY hard, and still the problems remain.
I post here as I do because I am not getting relief and have been trying to get answers.

After following FODMAP, and still suffering, I have come to think it may be worth it to keep dieting, but instead of micromanaging and trying to find the one trigger food, to chill out and try hypno as it now looks like stabilization relief for me is beyond the scope of diet and all other methods.

It seems to be though that you are trying to "steer" me away from hypno, almost like you feel I would give your program a bad rep.

#365274 - 06/26/11 09:29 PM
hudlander

Quote:

But will address that in your other post

What other post????? Huh?

#365280 - 06/27/11 08:50 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Presumably, the notion that recorded hypno is not suitable for hudlander is your personal opinion. There is little, if anything in the clinical studies to suggest that individuals with unresolved food issues may not responded well to recorded sessions. Most studies, including those by Prof. Whorwell, show gut-directed hypnotherapy can be beneficial for those that have little success with other treatment modalities. It is recommended that hypnotherapy be used as part of an integrated care package including dietary management rather than being used as a stand-alone form of treatment. There is evidence that suggests recorded hypno may not be as effective as working face-to-face with a professional hypnotherapist.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#365284 - 06/27/11 12:09 PM
Marilyn

Regarding answering to your 'other' post, Hudlander - my mistake - I was thinking you had made another post and I was confusing you with another board - so sorry about that -my error.

And yes, Syl is absolutely correct with the comments he made. Totally correct...

It's not 'my' program - anything negative said about it, or those few bad reviews or results given over the 13 years it has been around, does not take away from the program's overwhelming success with the vast majority of IBS patients, (since 1998 with the public, and since 1992 in private practice use of the protocol) so no, you can't really give it a bad 'rep' if you were to do the program and not see the results you seek.

But you see, after 11 years of working with IBS patients as Mike's patient support associate, I sort of get to 'know' if there will be success to the level desired - and given the combination of your posts, I would say your best bet would be to see a private clinical hypnotherapist who is qualified in delivering a gut-directed proven protocol and with whom you could discuss all of your issues.

That being said, I know that is an expensive route, and even given my comments, I believe that you most likely would see some success with the IBS Audio Program - even with all the issues - but we have found that it may be a longer route - you may need to do the program over a few times, you will have to try to refrain from reading about IBS, researching and posting about it, while doing the program for the best results, and since dietary changes have not been helpful, attention to micromanaging diet can be a factor as well - I was almost down to crackers and water by the time I found out about the program.

So, yeah, Syl is right, I guess my cautionary hesitation to 'encourage' you to try the program is my own opinion - but on a very encouraging note, I have spoken with many individuals such as yourself, with issues and anger at their condition, and they were indeed helped - I was swore at before, and later profusely thanked, for the support along the way of a difficult journey.

My own story attests to the fact that the program can be helpful when there are other issues involved, and many past IBS treatment failures.

It took me a long time to see results - I was almost housebound and very ill, and like you, did the program as a very last resort when everything I tried over the course of many years had failed (IBS since 1983) and it was a long journey for me too.

So yeah, I was sort of trying to steer you away, because I know the journey - but I should apologize for that, I just know that most likely, your improvement might not be a straight line for you - and I would not want you to get further discouraged...

So, by way of reparation on my part, if you would like to discuss, call 877-898-2539 and leave a message as to when to call you, or to email me, go to the contact page on healthyaudio and they will fw it to me - mention you are 'hudlander' from the helpforibs boards, as we get many calls/emails.

I am sorry if my previous post seemed a bit discouraging - but I am human too, so, again, I am happy to help if I am able.

You deserve the chance to feel better, and as with my own story, perhaps this will be the final answer - most of Mike's patients were those with stories such as yours - the last resort after all else had failed...

Again, my apologies - all the best to you no matter what you decide.

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

Marilyn new
      #365291 - 06/27/11 04:48 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Well said, Marilyn! I can understand your comments in your first post. I know when you have other "stuff" going on, it may take a bit longer. He seems to have enormous anger in his posts, but who knows. It took me three rounds, and I was dealing with abuse issues, so maybe that was anger also.

You are human, however very knowledgable about the program, and your input here is not only needed, but especially welcomed. Maybe not by some, but most do appreciate your best intentions to help, so may I say, Thanks!

Re: Marilyn new
      #365292 - 06/27/11 05:03 PM
Marilyn

Aww, thanks muchly, Gerikat! You dont know how much your kind words mean to me... you are the BEST! Many many thanks, you are a dear~

--------------------

Thank you for the clarification - nt - new
      #365295 - 06/28/11 05:11 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#365345 - 06/30/11 01:53 PM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

Guess you are aware that FODMAPs are inorganic problems, with which the hypno can't help. I for instance am lactose intolerant, hypnosis won't cure me of that.

And dietary management is never going to be perfect. If I eat according to my guidelines (which take experimentation btw as there's a lot of individual variance on top of the general rules) I still get bloating esp if there's a more emotionally straining day or something. Some people still have spasms even with the right diet.

As for hypno working better face-to-face, think that comes down to how wild you let your imagination run. I can absolutely imagine that I am with a real person and these tapes are surely better in that they are perfect quality, no background noise, no slurring of speech etc. But I do believe that the more you put it the more you get out. (ie it never even occurred to me that this is somehow artificial cos there's so many advantages to this over a real session). Another example of how you can be a participant here: although Michael says that even if you fall asleep/you just listen it is still effective, for me it has worked a lot better when I set out to take a more active role. I mean to say that I used to just listen, then found my attention straying and increasingly difficult to bring it back. Now I try to take a more active role through repeating some of the things he says. (Obviously when he says 'you're surrounded by this calmness' I repeat 'I am surrounded by this calmness'). I think this makes a difference for me, but it's also something to do with my own experience. Before I bought this 100 day Audio programme, whose role is to 'cure' you (you are not meant to listen to it every day of your life ), in the past I used self-hypnosis all the time for immediate pain relief and for bloating (ie you are telling yourself all these things, not listening to a recording) and it worked wonders. Some people are more hypnotisable than others but my considered opinion is that it is even at variance in individuals, sometimes you being more open to it/ more easily entering that relaxing state where your subconscious may be influences, other times being stiff, anxious, not being able to relax, etc. Just my two-pence.

If you were interested there is a pdf file on hypnosis with a sub-chapter on IBS I am happy to send you, email safo1611@gmail.com

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 614 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 36123

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review