All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Re: Hypno Questions new
      #365346 - 06/30/11 02:45 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Hi Susie,

Very insightful comments!

You are correct in that hypnotherapy will not take care of lactose intolerance, etc. though I do believe there are studies of this modality helping some physical conditions, but it is not the norm.

And while hypnotherapy is very helpful, Michael never ever has called his program a cure. This is not to say that the program has not helped a great number of IBS sufferers to entirely walk away from IBS symptoms, but it is rare to say any one treatment in any medical arena is a cure each and every time for each and every person.

In-person therapy is helpful to those individuals who have co-morbid conditions in addition to IBS that may perhaps interfere with progress. A recorded protocol, as excellent as it is, cannot be expected to deal with a person's medical or emotional issues and life situations across the board. We know that the program has helped individuals deal with other factors, other health concerns, stressors, etc. in addition to the IBS, but it is not developed to do so.

If a person has anger issues, or a life environment that has constant ongoing abuse issues, other medical conditions, etc. a personal therapist can address these things after doing a personal initial consultation. Not necessarily to cure, but to help the person address or deal with the issues at hand in conjunction with other medical or health care professionals if appropriate.

Michael does this with his patients - so in view of taking all things into consideration, we have to be realistic and not set people up for failure. Certainly the positive outcomes are in the majority, and it is good to have positive expectations and be encouraged by this, but we know there has to be realistic balance too.

Of course we have no way of knowing the background of each person who decides to order the program, but with the personal support, we find this out sometimes and advise accordingly.

It is good to share what works for you, and everyone usually adapts to their own best way forward while listening to the program.

The sessions are meant to be listened to without worry of active thought or participation from your thinking mind - it is not a necessity for success, but no worries if this works best for you.

For most folks, just go with it as it comes and dont push the imagery. As a new listener back in 2000, I did this - I would replay the imagery over until I got it 'right' and I delayed my progress doing this! So dont think it through too much. But again, if this works for you, then go for it!

Each listener needs to do what is best for them - This is what works for you to be actively involved as you have seen it work in the past - but everyone has a right to come to the program fresh - so in that regard, it is best not to discuss the particulars of method and the session content! I am speaking from experience here, believe me!! LOL And not just my own, but what Michael has found with hundreds of patients over the years! (Since 1991)

Thank you for your encouraging comments - again - I have to say that the program works the best when sufferers try their best to not read or write or research about IBS while doing the program, though again, from personal experience, I know this is really hard to do! I used to 'live' on another IBS BB back in 2000, 2001 while doing the program, and posting every little bit of progress or not, and thus not only ruined it for myself ( in terms of time needed to get better) as well as coloring perceptions for others earlier in the program.

Self-talk in the positive is great! Super suggestion - and is really helpful when an attack comes on - you can say, I got through this before, in a little while this will be over and I can get on with my day - I will be better soon. Rather than, oh no, here it comes again, why do I have this, how long is this going to be, etc. That used to spiral me down so bad - learning the positive thought pattern got me out of attacks a lot quicker, and once I did the program, the positive thoughts would come automatically, removing the attack entirely!

One other point to re-affirm that Heather mentioned, and that is the fact that those on the message boards are those who still need them, so consequently, those with the success stories arent here to encourage and share, and what is shared is all the failures, the problems, the questions, and when read over and over almost every day, this further serves to reinforce the IBS condition, and is very counter-productive to what the hypnotherapy protocol is doing. Not that it won't still do its thing - but it takes much longer with more attacks than if you were not reading, etc. One of those catch-22's because I know how it is to come here for support... and even in looking at various threads and the number of views - there sometimes seems to be more views on topics where people are suffering or micromanaging than those posts with neutral or even encouraging topics. Just a little observation, though I could be wrong! LOL

thank you for your introspective thoughts...

All the best in your journey to feeling better!

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#365349 - 07/01/11 12:28 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

Yes, agreed with all of those.

I think a lot of people have problems with dairy products without being lactose intolerant. So hypno may well work for that!

I thought that Michael's recorded audio programme is designed for people that have IBS, not tailored to specific individuals/any other life issues. I for instance have no real other issues anymore, I never wake up thinking that how am I going to get through the day, esp as I have experimented with and know how to eat to have no symptoms apart from bloating. I never really had attacks in the traditional sense anyhow cos I have always been lucky enough to have a job being called a student which meant that my hours are flexible, and this is the ideal work for someone with IBS.

I also know that hypno is no cure btw, but I say cure as a vast number of people eat like normal people afterwards without problems. When you are living an almost symptom-free life with dieting, it's not like living like normal people cos you are on a diet. Compare this to someone who have diabetes. They have a diet to adhere to too and don't live like others. But post-hypno you do eat like others. Not complaining at all, merely stating this. So even if it does return, don't think that any other method is comparable to hypno in terms of the quality of life afterwards. From what I've read Marilyn you eat like a normal person without symptoms, have done so for the past ten years, pretty much a cure so far

Incidentally, in the booklet I just read that you are welcome to listen to sessions twice per day, but you should leave 6 hours in between and of course don't listen on some days as indicated.

And just by trying to take a more active role now doesn't mean that I am somehow tensing up, trying to overdo it. Again, think it's helpful to set out with the initial presumption that any kind of hypnosis is the exact opposite of tensing up/effort/straining etc, it is all about relaxing and letting go. Only in that mindset do we become more persuade-able to have normal BMs and digestion. (As far as I know.)

And sorry, of course not trying to influence anyone on how they should do it and didn't want to reveal too much detail.

And if hypno ever fully worked for me like for so many others, I would find it grossly irresponsible and a bit heartless not to return to this board and answer queries and help with things I can help with, exactly because most of us have suffered a lot overall and even if you get on with your life, the past in a way, for better or worse, always stays with us. (Very philosophical!)

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

#365350 - 07/01/11 12:36 AM
mavera

Reged: 12/28/10
Loc: The Netherlands

Quote:

Guess you are aware that FODMAPs are inorganic problems, with which the hypno can't help. I for instance am lactose intolerant, hypnosis won't cure me of that.

Is this true? I thought FODMAP problems are pretty common (1 in 3 of all people), but people with IBS are just so gut-sensitive they'll have much múch more discomfort of it.
Hypnotherapy can also be used in labor or other sorts of extreme pain, it can be more effective than morfine.

So perhaps hypnotherapy won't cure the condition, it can make the symptoms much more bearable, so you'll be able to eat more... I guess??

--------------------
PI-IBS-C/A nausea & very bad gastric pain
meds: lansoprazol+macrogol
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

#365351 - 07/01/11 01:17 AM
Susie1985

Syl will hopefully come in with the figures regarding the prevalence of the FODMAP-afflicted within the normal population. Think it's found in about 50% of IBS and non-IBS population.

I know that this is not the correct definition but for me IBS means that you have no organic problems but digestive stimulants such as fat, IF, alcohol and caffeine cause you D or C or bloating or symptoms. (Y)our bowels are too sensitive, a normal person's bowels don't respond to these stimulants, (y)ours do. Hypno is meant to teach you that your bowels should not respond in such an unnatural way either.

Can imagine that someone is an alcoholic that drinks 4 cups of coffee every day, has two chunks of beef for lunch and also 2 cups of raspberries for dinner, but has no digestive woes. But they may still have a problem with fructose and if they eat apples or pears, not all is well. This person does not have IBS, but has fructose malabsorption, probably.

I went for a lactose intolerance test, which came back positive. Besides I remember that even pre-IBS I had trouble with lactose (which for me is immediate D afterwards). This has nothing to do with IBS, ie don't think it possible for hypno to ever eliminate this. It's something more akin to a nut allergy, although obviously lactose intolerance is a lot less dangerous and it's much more easy to live with.

PS most people have only mild lactose intolerance and can even eat ice cream/ all sorts of hard cheeses/ yoghurt. (not me though) all these FODMAP sensitivities are on a scale, you may be able to tolerate a small amount, others can't.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

#365352 - 07/01/11 01:21 AM
Susie1985

Gosh, apologies! Sorry, just saw my original post, I meant that yes, FODMAP problems are organic. NOT INORGANIC. Sorry again.

--------------------

#365353 - 07/01/11 04:45 AM
mavera

Quote:

I know that this is not the correct definition but for me IBS means that you have no organic problems but digestive stimulants such as fat, IF, alcohol and caffeine cause you D or C or bloating or symptoms. (Y)our bowels are too sensitive, a normal person's bowels don't respond to these stimulants, (y)ours do. Hypno is meant to teach you that your bowels should not respond in such an unnatural way either.

Yes, true.
But people with oversensitive bowels PLUS other 'organic-bowel issues' also respond extremely upon e.g. FODMAPs and lactose.
Hypnotherapy will not cure the organic condition, but can reduce those (extreme) symptoms too I guess.

--------------------
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

#365358 - 07/01/11 12:44 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

As a person who has completed the hypnosis by Michael Mahoney, not once but three times, all I can tell you is it works! I see an on-going conversation between Cell Salts, Marilyn, and you, and I just wanted to share my experience, that I have shared with Marilyn many times.

I was one of those people that never knew which food would set me off and when. One time I could eat it, the next time I couldn't. There was no rhyme nor reason to any of it. I could rip my diet apart, control every morsel I put into my mouth, stress my a** off every day of my life about my diet, and again, it did not work. I felt like I was putting all this time and energy into my diet, denying myself good food and fun times, stressing so much,and for what?...I was still at square one.

The day I decided ENOUGH, was the day I got well. I bought the hypnosis tapes, and completed them three times over about a year and a half, started meditation, did some soul-searching, journaled, and took a real good look at my life. I stopped worrying about how every little thing would affect my IBS, I started going and doing what I wanted, I started enjoying a full and complete vegetarian diet, I stopped dwelling on IBS, I stopped labeling myself, "Hey look here, I am an IBS person", I stopped researching it, looking at the science behind it, I stopped trying all these different approaches, FODMAP/fructose and all the other approaches floating around on here, and guess what? I am totally well! I don't think much about it anymore. I only come here to offer a bit of help if I can, and to read the Veggie board.

What I have come to know for a fact, is the more you focus and wrap your life around something, the more it expands in your life. IBS is no different. Redirect, redirect, redirect is all I can say. Michael Mahoney's voice is in my mind and it helps me to focus on what I want in my life, not what I don't want in my life.

Now, you can slice it, dice it, dissect it any way you want, but the hypnosis tapes have allowed me to eat anything I choose, no exceptions. You will never know if they will or won't help an organic problem, unless you try. Don't go in from the beginning, thinking it won't work, because you might get a big surprise.

I don't think anyone will every grasp the full depth of the mind, or the gut, for that matter. So, give hynosis a try, and I mean a real, good try, and see where it leads you.

#365362 - 07/01/11 02:24 PM
mavera

That's a great story Gerikat!

My 'problem' is, I did find out a diet which really really works for me. I really really hate it, but now I know how I should eat to be able to function normally again, I cannot go back and eat just whatever I like..!

--------------------

#365363 - 07/01/11 03:00 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Yes Mavera, I understand. That was just one story, mine. Everyone must find their own way. My frustration comes when many just poo-poo hypno, without giving it a chance to work. I think they expect miracles, to be cured after one listen. Or, they pick and choose what it will work for and will not work for, without ever having even tried it. Or they cite all the research that says it may work but in limited ways. And again, they have not even taken a listen. So many experts who don't even know what it is about.

I am glad you found a way that works for you!

#365364 - 07/01/11 03:58 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

THANK YOU, dear Gerikat ((((HUGS))))) to you - you said all I wanted to say - but couldnt!!!

And very well said too! I am going to share your post with Mike - he loves the encouragement too, to know he is making a difference!
So thank you, thank you!!! xx

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3250 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 36349

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review