All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
pure blueberry juice
      #365097 - 06/10/11 10:18 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Is this safe? Its pure blueberry juice from concentrate.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: pure blueberry juice new
      #365099 - 06/10/11 10:26 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

If it does not contain any apple or pear juice then it should be fine although as mentioned before it contains some xylitol which is a sugar alcohol.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#365102 - 06/10/11 11:12 AM
Allisonmary

blueberries have xylitol naturally?

#365103 - 06/10/11 11:16 AM
Allisonmary

SYl, do you know of any good candies or cough drops to suck on? HOw do you do with altoids?

yes - nt - new
      #365104 - 06/10/11 11:44 AM
Syl

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#365105 - 06/10/11 11:47 AM
Syl

I buy scotch mints that contain sugar, glucose syrup, natural peppermint flavour, gelatin, color and tragaganth gum. I buy them at the $1.00 store for a $1.00 for 128 grams (8 oz).

--------------------

#365110 - 06/12/11 05:36 AM
mavera

Reged: 12/28/10
Loc: The Netherlands

I sometimes eat laurel-drops, made of pure liquorice root. It seems to be ok for me.
It should not be eaten in large quantities, because of high blood pressure (but mine is always low).

Pure berry juice (black&blueberries) is not ok for me.
Are there other berries that should be fine (w/o xylitol I guess?)

--------------------
PI-IBS-C/A nausea & very bad gastric pain
meds: lansoprazol+macrogol
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

#365111 - 06/12/11 06:56 AM
Syl

Xylitol is found in very small amounts in berries. For example, raspberries contain aboput 2.6 mg/100 grams or 0.3% and it is unlikely to present any problems. Apples, pears and peaches contain considerably more xylitol which may present problems for some.

--------------------

#365114 - 06/12/11 12:49 PM
mavera

Ok, so it probably wasn't the xylitol. I made some 'yam'/jelly from the juice, and I got very bad stomach pain. Like I get when I eat fructose. But I thought the fructose:glucose ratio is less than 1 in berries?

Last week I tried peaches (pureed) and that seemed to go pretty well. I did not have much more stomach pain than usual, perhaps a tiny bit nausea...

Pff, I really don't understand much of my IBS! I guess it's just trial and error with most food..

--------------------
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

#365115 - 06/12/11 02:03 PM
Syl

Interesting! I make jelly from a mixture of frozen berries composed of raspberries, blueberries and blackberries. Also, I make a juice concentrate from it to use on oatmeal and in sauces. I have never had problems. However, I do have to be careful to make sure all of the pulp is removed. Berries pulp and seeds are a big problem for me.

You are fortunate that peaches are okay for you. While it does not have excess fructose like most stone fruits it contains sorbitol and some other sugar alcohols which can be a problem for some.

Yea - while there are some good guidelines but there is also a lot of trial and error involved too.

--------------------

#365116 - 06/12/11 02:36 PM
mavera

It was just a bottle of juice I bought in the grocery shop. W/o any pulp and absolutely no additives. Just pure (concentrated?) blue+blackberry-juice. It would have been perfectly..
They also sell it from red currant (?), but I haven't tried that one yet. I guess that'll be too sour for my stomach...?

The peaches I'm not totally sure about yet, since I did get a bit nauseous after a few days of eating it. But perhaps one serving of yam per day or every other day will be fine...?
I don't really like peaches, but till now it's the only fruit next to bananas that seemes the be pretty ok. (I'm getting pretty fed up with bananas )

--------------------

#365117 - 06/13/11 06:04 AM
Allisonmary

Maybe it could be a combination of what you are eating throuhout the day and having the berries may just set it over the edge? I think if Im very strict with everything else then I can have a little juice but some days I can't. I think it has to do with what else Im eating, how much sugar, fructans, fructose..Like some days OJ doesnt bother me other times it really does.

Is the OJ pulp-free OJ? -nt- new
      #365118 - 06/13/11 06:50 AM
Syl

--------------------

#365123 - 06/13/11 10:05 AM
Islandsguy123

Reged: 03/02/11
Loc: Savannah,GA

Funny coincidence, I'm trying smoothies with peaches and bananas w/ sugar free vanilla almond milk. It's pretty good! I got a Ninja blender and it rocks.

I want to use blueberries but I'm with SYL, don't like the pulp. I may have to try some of the juice instead.

Re: yes - nt - new
      #365179 - 06/17/11 09:58 AM
Islandsguy123

Reged: 03/02/11
Loc: Savannah,GA

I'm not worrying about the fructose right now. But I was wondering if blueberry preserves or jam would still have antioxidants? I'm going to do less on the whole fruits and try it on crackers sometimes.

Thx!

Re: yes - nt - new
      #365180 - 06/17/11 10:41 AM
Syl

All colored veggies and fruits contain antioxidants Cooking veggies and fruits can actually increase the amount of antioxidants that are available. For example, cooking tomatoes releases lycopene. Cooking carrots and zucchini releases carotenoid.

--------------------

cooking good except for vitamin C? new
      #365182 - 06/18/11 09:29 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

just to reiterate, in general, even if we didn't have IBS, I am right in thinking that cooking makes nutrients more accessible, ie cooked fruit is better than raw fruit (calls into question the real nutritional value of paleo diets?), with only one exception: vitamin C?!

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Re: cooking good except for vitamin C? new
      #365184 - 06/18/11 10:15 AM
Syl

Not sure you can generalize to all nutrients. Cooking does destroys vitamin C but it does make some antioxidants more accessible. Also B vitamins and C are water soluble so they can dissolved and washed away during food preparation.

--------------------

Re: cooking good except for vitamin C? new
      #365185 - 06/18/11 02:19 PM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

thanks. oops, I forgot about B vitamins.

probably not wise to boil fish or chicken then. tastes awful that way anyhow.

well anyway, I eat no vegetable raw except for the occasional cucumber and even fruits, not many. apart from peaches/(dried) apricots/cherries. the red berries I often eat with oats I actually cook into the oats!

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 682 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7624

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review