All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Teas
      #365082 - 06/09/11 03:39 PM
KareBear

Reged: 05/30/11
Loc: Arizona

I am not a tea drinker. I have always found them bitter, sour or frankly just tea flavored...yuck! But after reading the book it seems that tea is a good way to go for ibs. Can anyone recommend a tea that doesn't taste like tea? Does that make sense. All I drink now is water and to be honest it gets tiresome. I read some where (can't remember if it was in the book or online) that after someone brews a cup of hot tea they pour the remainder of the tea in their water bottle and work on it throughout the day. I am just wondering how that will taste. With all my ibs issues I also have a very sensitive gag reflex to anything that I don't think tastes good. But want to get over the nausea I have at times.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Teas new
      #365083 - 06/09/11 04:18 PM
Islandsguy123

Reged: 03/02/11
Loc: Savannah,GA

I really like the pomegranate red tea from Honest Tea or their lemon tulsi. It's caffeine free and is pretty low in sugar. If you have fructose intolerance, it could be a problem. Otherwise good stuff. They can be pricey though, about $1.50 a bottle.

http://www.honesttea.com/tea/glass/pom_red/

#365084 - 06/09/11 05:37 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

how about the passion tea from starbucks, you can get it iced or hot. You may love it you may hate it, its really sweet tasting.

#365086 - 06/10/11 04:33 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I like Lipton's ginger tea.

#365107 - 06/10/11 12:14 PM
gizmo

Reged: 07/28/10

I really like the Bigelow brand you can get it at Wal-Mart. I like the mint medley flavor and I also like the Tazo brand tea, chamomile flavor.

#365127 - 06/13/11 12:54 PM
CharlotteMiranda

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Berlin, Germany

There are a lot of different non-caffeine teas out there, so I would recommend trying out a few and seeing if you can find something you like. I am not so keen on fruit teas, but I love spice teas with ingredients like cinnamon and ginger, such as those from the Yogi brand (not sure if that is available in the US). I like to browse the tea aisle at the supermarket and see what takes my fancy - the manufacturers like to dream up enticing names for them like "Happiness Tea" or "Oasis of Energy"!

#365161 - 06/16/11 03:53 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

Hot peppermint tea I have found immensely effective for bloating and it tastes of peppermint, not really tea

fennel tea tastes nice too but has not really helped my IBS symptoms.

I drink a lot of Rooibos tea (especially vanilla flavoured), great source of anti-oxidants and I adore the taste.

Also, fruit teas? They really taste nothing like normal tea.

You can also put rice/soy milk in the tea, again, completely changes the way it tastes! (but I don't really do it, as rice milk is not great for me due to its high glycemic index, and soy milk will always have more than 25% fat and fat for me is hugely problematic) (soy can be bloating too) (but you may do fine with either of course!)

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

#365193 - 06/20/11 06:31 AM
PABeachBum

Reged: 06/13/08

blueberry roibos! it's sweet, tastes like blueberries of course, and packed full of beneficial quercetin, which has been a miracle supplement to me since my ibs is greatly influenced by seasonal allergies.

#365194 - 06/20/11 09:19 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I also remember reading that someone makes herself a pot of peppermint tea every morning, has a cup or two hot, then drinks the rest during the day as iced. I've never tried iced peppermint tea.

I like Tazo Passion tea made as iced tea. It's hibiscus based and is the herbal tea that seems closest to soda pop to me. I do add sugar which helps a lot in the illusion as does the gorgeous color. Be cautious, though - iced beverages can be tough on the tummy.

To drink hot, Tazo makes a mint tea I love. It's called Refresh and is mint with a little rosemary.

Also hot, Lipton Lemon is wonderful and their Ginger Twist and Peppermint are pretty good.

Traditional Medicinals makes a tea called "Eater's Digest" which has ginger and fennel and, I think, mint. It's pretty good.

Republic of Tea makes Orange Ginger Mint which I love hot. I only have it when I meet a friend for tea at Panera Bread and then always wonder why I don't have it at home. And along those lines, a place like Panera can be a nice way to try some different herbal teas. You're only buying one bag rather than a whole box of something you might dislike.

There's an old post where people are talking about flavored teas, especially flavored rooibos teas:

Old thread

To me, rooibos tea (also known as "red bush") tastes a lot like real tea (only a little too bitter for me) but some of the flavored rooibos varieties don't taste like tea at all, especially the Rainbow Rooibos mentioned in that thread. A company called Culinary Teas makes the Rainbow Rooibos along with lots of other flavored tea. You can buy little samplers of their teas to try:

Culinary Teas

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#365199 - 06/21/11 11:59 AM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

For non caffeine, I have enjoyed Tulsi, Rooibos, and herbal based teas as many of the other respondants have noted.

I also however drink small amounts of green "real" tea and am IBS-D and have seen no problems. I also have had different types of black teas (have more caffeine than green but still much less than coffee) and it's a dice roll. Sometimes I feel fine, sometimes I don't. The ones with spices (chai, for example) tend to do better as the spices calm the stomach and work against the caffeine.

Regardless, getting into a tea-type beveredge is a great way to add a ton of antioxidants and nutrients into your diet. I find for myself personally that all the many health benefits of green tea outweight it's potential (but not observed by my anyway) negative effect on IBS.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1665 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6708

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review