All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
align
      #365028 - 06/06/11 09:21 AM
ibsholly

Reged: 11/09/10

Probiotic strain: Bifantis (Bifidobacterium infantis 35624), 1 x 109 colony-forming units (1 billion) (4 mg), microcrystalline cellulose (for even dispersal of cultures), hypromellose (vegetarian capsule shell), sugar, magnesium stearate (for even dispersal of cultures), milk protein,† titanium dioxide, sodium citrate dihydrate, propyl gallate (antioxidant stabilizer), FD&C blue #1, riboflavin (colorant)
Like many dietary supplements (but unlike some foods sold as probiotics), Align is calorie-free.

how is it safe if has milk protein in and magnesium stearate i thought they were bad for you

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: align new
      #365029 - 06/06/11 10:27 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It has a tiny amount of milk protein that comes from growing the probiotic culture. It does not contain lactose. This probiotic was clinically tested for effectivenss by Prof. Whorwell and others with fairly positive results.

Magnesium stearate is an inert substance frequently used as a filler in medical formulations. It has lubricating properties that prevents ingredients from sticking to equipment during the compression of drugs into capsules and tablets. It is safe.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#365030 - 06/06/11 11:02 AM
ibsholly

thank you am going to chat about them with him do these look any good
http://www.optibacprobiotics.co.uk/shop/item.asp?itemid=3

#365032 - 06/06/11 11:42 AM
ibsholly

green and ivory box is that the right one for me i hope they so work for this trapped wind hard bloated tummy constipation cos it just getting worse i thought a few weeks back i was getting some were i guess not this is my next hope so glad i have good friends on here and a good GI team behind me

#365033 - 06/06/11 12:03 PM
Syl

Here are the ingredients

Maltodextrin, Prebiotic Fructooligosaccharides (FOS 0.3g), Probiotic culture (Lactococcus lactis Rosell-1058, Lactobacillus casei Rosell-215, Lactobacillus acidophilus Rosell-52 and Bifidobacterium bifidum Rosell-71).

If you have trouble with fructose you may want to avoid FOS. This probiotic has not been clinically tested. It contains mostly Lactobacillus strains which are not particularly effective for IBS.

It might be best to stick with the probiotic recommended by your health professionals.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#365034 - 06/06/11 12:13 PM
ibsholly

yes i feel fructose is a big problem for me i will stick with align that have no fructose think its be best choice there is too wish one do i buy the green and cream one

#365041 - 06/07/11 07:27 AM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

hi there, i have the EXACT same ibs symptoms of you...i have been on align for oh, maybe about 5 or 6 months and i feel it has helped me quite a lot. try it out! also...have you ever used charcoal tablets? i find when i have REALLY bad trapped gas it helps me a lot...
http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Way-Activated-Charcoal-Capsules/dp/B0006LCQ4Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307456299&sr=8-1

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#365042 - 06/07/11 09:00 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Hey, how does the charcoal tablets help with the trapped gas? Does it help move it along or just prevent the gas from happening? Lately, that has been my worst symptom and all the peppermint in the world is not working!

Allisonmary new
      #365045 - 06/07/11 09:49 AM
boron

Reged: 05/11/11

If you have a fructose malabsorption, charcoal tablets will not likely help you. Charcoal can bind some methane or other gases, but is probably more effective in reducing odor than gas itself.

http://gicare.com/MEDICATIONS/Medications.aspx?CID=3&ID=32

--------------------
I don't have IBS.

Activated Charcoal new
      #365047 - 06/07/11 10:37 AM
Syl

The results of clinical tests on the effectiveness of activated charcoal on intestinal gas are mixed. The first reference below claims it is effective while the second one claims it isn't. It something you will have to try.

Reference
Hall RG Jr, Thompson H, Strother A., Effects of orally administered activated charcoal on intestinal gas . Am J Gastroenterol. 1981 Mar;75(3):192-6.

Potter T, Ellis C, Levitt M. Activated charcoal: in vivo and in vitro studies of effect on gas formation . Gastroenterology. 1985;88:620-624.

--------------------

Re: Allisonmary new
      #365049 - 06/07/11 03:36 PM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

all i know is that it DEFINITELY cuts down on the pain of the gas, not just the smell. i guess it is absorbing some bad stuff because it seems to work for me. I don't take it all the time- only when things are very bad and it's amazing.

--------------------
stable IBS-A

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 643 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5764

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review