All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
fructose malabsorption and sweet potatoes
      #364961 - 06/02/11 04:03 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I notice if I make bunch of sweet potatoes and have 1/2-1 sweet potoato per day- The first day I do that Im usually ok, the second ok and if I do it three days in a row, I get sick. I can never figure it out but Im starting to think it's the sweet potatoes and fructose malabsorption. I found this website that says they have fructans like wheat? IS this true?
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:PZqxdUfJ5QYJ:www.thefartingpear.com/index.php/fminfo+cndy+safe+for+fructose+malabsorption&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com
I know fructose malabsorbers should limit wheat to like 2 pieces of bread a day. So how much pasta do you think is this equivelent to? Say you eat pasta with sweet potatoes, do you think that may be too much?

ALso, does fruit that is more ripe have less fructose or more? I found two different articles that said two different things.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: fructose malabsorption and sweet potatoes new
      #364962 - 06/02/11 05:05 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

According to the reference below sweet potatoes do not contain fructans or excess fructose. Also, check "Sweet potato, cooked, baked in skin, with salt" in the USDA Food Database. It contains 0.66 grams fructose and 0.74 grams glucose per 100 grams for a ratio of fructose to glucose of 0.89 which means it contains more glucose than fructose or sweet potatoes contain no excess fructose. It is safe from a FM point of view. Yams have even less than sweet potatoes.

Which fruits are you wondering about? The amount of fructose in some fruits can change as they ripen. However, it isn't the amount of fructose that is so much of a problem as how much more fructose a fruit contains compared to glucose. Only the amount in excess of glucose is important. The amount of glucose can also change as a fruit ripens so it is quite possible that the safeness of a fruit might not change as it ripens.

Reference
Muir, J. G. et al. Fructan and Free Fructose Content of Common Australian Vegetables and Fruit . J. Agric. Food Chem. 55, 6619-6627 (2007)

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: fructose malabsorption and sweet potatoes new
      #364964 - 06/02/11 05:27 AM
boron

Reged: 05/11/11

There is more fructose in ripe grapes (and more fructose than glucose) than in unripe ones.
http://www.extension.iastate.edu/NR/rdonlyres/A647BBD4-08D5-494B-A55B-680667E6C342/56373/compositionofgrapes.pdf

Fructose content (and fructose:glucose ratio) increases with tomatoes ripening:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jsfa.2740260808/abstract?systemMessage=Wiley+Online+Library+will+be+disrupted+4+June+from+10-12+BST+for+monthly+maintenance

But fructose/glucose ratio may not necessary increase with ripening of other fruits.

I haven't found any reliable source that would mention sweet potatoes as high in fructans.

Sweet potatoes contain both soluble and insoluble fiber.
http://huhs.harvard.edu/assets/File/OurServices/Service_Nutrition_Fiber.pdf

In cooked and cooled potatoes some starch is converted into resistant starch that may not be digested in the small intestine so it reaches the large intestine, where bacteria break it down and produce gases that may cause bloating and substances that may trigger diarrhea.

--------------------
I don't have IBS.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 726 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6910

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review