All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
whole walnuts, almonds, cashew nuts
      #364862 - 05/23/11 10:33 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

again, not asking for the science behind this (not this time), but people's experiences, non-ground version, anyone ever eats this (with some sort of other base undoubtedly as the amount of IF and fat really would be intolerable otherwise I reckon)

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: whole walnuts, almonds, cashew nuts new
      #364863 - 05/23/11 12:37 PM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

Personally, i do eat them sometimes, because i am nearly vegan and it is great nutritionally for me. the important thing is soaking them, because this improves digestibility. i realize they are high in fat and probably not suitable based on EFI diet, but I do it all the time and i am more stable than i ever have been. more frequently, though, i soak them and then make it into nutmilks (cashew milk is SOOOOO yummy and a wonderful substitute for dairy milk).
this is a good little article- although i have never tried the soaking and lightly toasting method. may be more tolerable for you though. only way you can find out is to try it! :-) hope this helps!
http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2008/07/soaking-nuts.html

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#364865 - 05/23/11 02:51 PM
Susie1985

that is v helpful, but how do you personally soak them and make them into milk? (the way it's described in the article?)

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

#364870 - 05/24/11 06:18 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I eat whole almonds everyday with no trouble. I don't need a "buffer" food beforehand either.

#364872 - 05/24/11 09:28 AM
Susie1985

you eat them on their own?

are you ibs-c or d?

--------------------

#364874 - 05/24/11 01:41 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I also eat raw nuts/seeds daily, most times in a trail mix I make myself. I love them!

#364875 - 05/24/11 01:44 PM
Gerikat

Thanks for this website. I added it to my favorites!

#364893 - 05/25/11 03:01 PM
Cyndy

Yep, I eat them alone. I am IBS-C but I don't know that that matters. I love my almonds! I eat fruits and veggies without buffers too...like apples, raw salads, yogurt... It's when I stopped obsessing about foods that I finally was free of the symptoms of IBS. I think mine was all based on stress of the diet and not the food itself. It took me a while to figure this out. This is just how I am.

#364896 - 05/25/11 07:29 PM
Gerikat

Me too, Cyndy. I used to pick apart my diet, obsess about every little bit of food...drove myself nuts. It just did not work! Finally, I got smart and once I stopped all that, along with hypnosis, I healed my body. I will never go back to analyzing my diet. I don't know what a buffer is now.

#364904 - 05/26/11 09:32 AM
Cyndy

I'm so happy for you! Isn't it wonderful?! So nice not to have to read ingredients for every morsel we put into our bodies. I love it! I'm so happy it works for you too! Enjoy your food!

#364906 - 05/26/11 12:45 PM
boron

Reged: 05/11/11

@ gerikat and Cindy

Can you say have your previous symptoms had any pattern, for example being triggered by meals or relieved by bowel movements? I mean, did your symptoms agreed with what are now known as IBS symptoms?

--------------------
I don't have IBS.

#364909 - 05/26/11 02:00 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Add me to the list as well - no more diet dissection either. And nuts were one of my past triggers - no more! Also as a result of the hypnotherapy - IBS Audio Program 100. I have talked with many who have found this in their lives too. It is wonderful when a diet works and can be helpful, but it is also good to know there are other ways forward as well!

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

#364912 - 05/26/11 06:49 PM
Gerikat

No, no particular pattern to mine. No rhyme nor reason. I didn't have symptoms, really. I know there are those that say they have immediate cramps and pain...not me. Days later, I might be a bit D or C, but that was it. Some bloating and gas (a bit uncomfortable). But I could live with it. Not the worst thing that could happen to me.

Honestly, I never knew what to expect.

#364913 - 05/26/11 08:01 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

So just wondering, do you still have IBS??

Re: pattern, hypnosis new
      #364914 - 05/27/11 12:35 AM
Susie1985

Before I rigorously adhered to EFI+FODMAP diet it used to be v haphazard and all over the place for me too, with long delayed effects, esp as fat(spasms, needing to strain/go but can't) and IF(D) cause me different symptoms. Now I am quite sure that the science behind this explains all and it is not that one day is randomly worse than the other unless of course I have some sort of deep emotional thing going on, like an exam or just general stressing. But since investigating my vitamin deficiencies, being in a relationship with someone that has considerably calmed me down, living in a country I love as opposed to one that I don't have made all my neurotic/OCD symptoms disappear and now I only have these dietary ones. I used to be what I call emotionally unstable and v neurotic (mainly under the surface(and there's this added guilt that everyone assumes you are so perfect when you have all these things going on eating away at you)). I also never stress about food ever, not on a conscious level anyhow, but I do madly calculate but that's cause I like Maths, I like to be in control and also as I can't afford to be off sick with IBS, as it were, these days as I'm too busy.

I have not really done the hypnosis according to the rules to be honest, as I listen to two sessions per day, sometimes different ones, as I use it to fall asleep too , not just ibs management, so I am doing it on a more intense scale. This cured my insomnia problems (by the time he brings you out of it through 1,2,3...10 I am fast asleep). I'd like to think that the more I do it the better. I think it has eased my symptoms already, but can't be too sure. I've certainly found that after eating too much fat for instance (what with experimenting with all these nuts and almonds) I do have symptoms, but have recovered from them much more quickly. I also felt brave and had kale on its own (v high in IF) to see what happens and I did have D afterwards but I managed to calm my gut down quickly by eating the next IF meal with SFS. Think before it'd be something like a week for me to recover. I think I'll wait till I finish with session 4 to see how the land lies then, my life will be less hectic/more boring then anyhow. I have such a blind faith in it that if it doesn't work for me, I'll be looking for the fault in me rather than the hypnosis (e.g. the fact that my concentration does stray after a while and I don't always fully focus). But I do know that by default I am really susceptible to hypnosis and I do believe that this is possible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgu6vk3_ByE
cos the mind is intriguing and hypnosis in general is unbelievably wonderful. (sorry, bit too slushy but that's how I've always viewed it)

--------------------

#364915 - 05/27/11 01:42 AM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Wow Susie - Interesting read.

That video was amazing! The mind does have a lot of power over the body to be sure. I had to admit I squinted my eyes during some of that tooth pulling!!! LOL The other girl who observed looked like a wreck, while the patient sat up smiling and looking like she had been on vacation! Thanks for sharing...

Well, I must say that I am very glad the hypnotherapy is helping your sleep so far - we have had many reports that the sessions do provide this nice extra bonus!

Ordinarily, the program is not suggested for folks with some of the past issues you mention, but if you are seeing good results so far, who are we to dismiss it!!!

However, you may want to privately contact Michael or myself at some point, if you do hit snags along the way, as the protocol has been developed to be listened to in a certain way for optimum effectiveness. Doing the sessions 'on a more intense scale' may or may not provide you with the final success you are after in the long run.

But of course, everyone is different, but we want you to have the most optimum results! The only reason I mention it is because I have been helping folks since 2000, and after awhile we do see patterns of what works and what doesnt - and I am one of the ones who muffed it by over-listening initally - to boost my results - I was on the message boards constantly, etc. so I am sort of helping others through what Michael taught me when I first did the program!

I am delighted that you are seeing some good things coming from the sessions so far and I sure hope it continues! Dont worry too much about the concentration and the mind straying - Michael mentions this is normal and that the message still gets in! It is sort of like listening to the radio in the background - you know it is on, and perhaps not really paying a lot of attention, but then you hear an ad about a sale for something you have been looking for and your ear perks up - so to speak - and you cue into it. That shows that your subcon is listening to it all along - so dont worry about the mind wandering thing.

I think the bigger concern in your case, with regard to success, would not be the mind wandering, but rather, the fact that you are in need to constantly monitor your diet (over and above any IBS issues) and being on the message boards so often. This tells your subconsious mind over and over again you are on an IBS support group bb - whether or not you are discussing a diet for IBS or otherwise. For you, perhaps it may not be an issue - but I am going by past successes and it may be a factor! It was a huge issue for myself - and I was housebound with IBS since 1983!

I hope you are the exception to the 'rule' so to speak - and so far, it looks like you just may be!!!! YAY!

All the best to you ((HUGS))! And thank you for sharing your good progress so far!

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

#364918 - 05/27/11 04:10 PM
Gerikat

No, I don't.

#364919 - 05/28/11 02:01 AM
Susie1985

Thanks. Yes and yes

Think should find hypnosis specifically for falling asleep. As for stressing over food and its contents, am visiting the board mainly as a source of procrastination and just out of interest, but calculating the fat percentage and all that, I guess that does subconsciously have a negative impact..

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1449 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9487

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review