All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
whole walnuts, almonds, cashew nuts
      #364862 - 05/23/11 10:33 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

again, not asking for the science behind this (not this time), but people's experiences, non-ground version, anyone ever eats this (with some sort of other base undoubtedly as the amount of IF and fat really would be intolerable otherwise I reckon)

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: whole walnuts, almonds, cashew nuts new
      #364863 - 05/23/11 12:37 PM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

Personally, i do eat them sometimes, because i am nearly vegan and it is great nutritionally for me. the important thing is soaking them, because this improves digestibility. i realize they are high in fat and probably not suitable based on EFI diet, but I do it all the time and i am more stable than i ever have been. more frequently, though, i soak them and then make it into nutmilks (cashew milk is SOOOOO yummy and a wonderful substitute for dairy milk).
this is a good little article- although i have never tried the soaking and lightly toasting method. may be more tolerable for you though. only way you can find out is to try it! :-) hope this helps!
http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2008/07/soaking-nuts.html

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#364865 - 05/23/11 02:51 PM
Susie1985

that is v helpful, but how do you personally soak them and make them into milk? (the way it's described in the article?)

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

#364870 - 05/24/11 06:18 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I eat whole almonds everyday with no trouble. I don't need a "buffer" food beforehand either.

#364872 - 05/24/11 09:28 AM
Susie1985

you eat them on their own?

are you ibs-c or d?

--------------------

#364874 - 05/24/11 01:41 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I also eat raw nuts/seeds daily, most times in a trail mix I make myself. I love them!

#364875 - 05/24/11 01:44 PM
Gerikat

Thanks for this website. I added it to my favorites!

#364893 - 05/25/11 03:01 PM
Cyndy

Yep, I eat them alone. I am IBS-C but I don't know that that matters. I love my almonds! I eat fruits and veggies without buffers too...like apples, raw salads, yogurt... It's when I stopped obsessing about foods that I finally was free of the symptoms of IBS. I think mine was all based on stress of the diet and not the food itself. It took me a while to figure this out. This is just how I am.

#364896 - 05/25/11 07:29 PM
Gerikat

Me too, Cyndy. I used to pick apart my diet, obsess about every little bit of food...drove myself nuts. It just did not work! Finally, I got smart and once I stopped all that, along with hypnosis, I healed my body. I will never go back to analyzing my diet. I don't know what a buffer is now.

#364904 - 05/26/11 09:32 AM
Cyndy

I'm so happy for you! Isn't it wonderful?! So nice not to have to read ingredients for every morsel we put into our bodies. I love it! I'm so happy it works for you too! Enjoy your food!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 136 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9487

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review