Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: rice milk new
      #364822 - 05/20/11 10:39 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

Courgettes=zucchini

butternut squash:
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Vegetables/Tesco_Organic_Butternut_Squash_Approx_155Kg.html

never eaten this in Britain: http://www.cookhereandnow.com/cookhereandnow/images/2007/09/30/yellow_zucchini.jpg

let's wait for Syl to confirm but as far as I know these are all ok on both the fructose/SF-IF front

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: @ Susie and Syl new
      #364824 - 05/20/11 11:51 AM
boron

Reged: 05/11/11

Onions contain fructose
Source: Fineli.fi

Onions are on the FODMAP lists, like here:
http://www.mecfs-vic.org.au/sites/www.mecfs-vic.org.au/files/Article-BarrettPractGastro.pdf

I don't find onions especially sweet, and I believe several people with FM can safely eat them.

I have neither FM nor IBS. If I eat few pears at once I have two-day free abdominal orchestra, but no problems with apples, honey, HFCS. If I eat white bread and drink soda I get constipated; wholegrain bread solves this nicely.

--------------------
I don't have IBS.

#364825 - 05/20/11 12:16 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Yes - they contain fructose but they don't contain more fructose than glucose so the fructose is not a problem.

According to the Barrett reference you provided it say "Thus, fructose is well absorbed in the presence of equimolar glucose in the proximal small intestine (25), whereas free fructose is slowly absorbed and such absorption occurs right along the length of the small intestine." They go on to say "since fructose is absorbed efficiently in the presence of an equimolar concentration with glucose, people with fructose malabsorption need to avoid foods high in free fructose, but can manage those with balanced concentrations of fructose and glucose (or a greater concentration of glucose)."

Onions fall into the latter category. It is the fructans that can be a problem for some but not the free fructose.

It would be helpful if you noted in your signature that you don't have IBS. As far as I known almost everyone in this forum has IBS.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#364826 - 05/20/11 01:00 PM
ibsholly

Reged: 11/09/10

so winter squash is safe as well as courgettes i cant have them both the one from tesco and the green courgettes or zucchini

Boron! How dare you be lurking on this forum when you don't even have IBS? new
      #364827 - 05/20/11 01:02 PM
Susie1985

we hate healthy people, you know...

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

overall amount of IF new
      #364828 - 05/20/11 01:10 PM
Susie1985

Pardon, you can't have them both?

I think they are both safe. as for quantity, a lot of people esp those who are particularly sensitive to IF have found that it's not enough for you to have enough SF with IF, the overall amount of IF within a meal must also be kept low. E.g. Syl is v careful with his diet in this regard and does not for instance have spinach, even though it is FODMAP greenlighted. Half a cup of spinach has 0.5g SF and 1.1g IF. If I want to be extra safe I'd eat it with around 0.5g SFS and I have no trouble. (But Syl for instance restricts his IF intake to a lot less than 1.1g IF per meal.) Depends on the individual.

Here is a great pointer, courtesy again of Syl: http://huhs.harvard.edu/assets/File/OurServices/Service_Nutrition_Fiber.pdf

--------------------

Boron new
      #364833 - 05/20/11 08:24 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Boron, you sound very knowlegeable. Good for you that you are not bothered with IBS. I was just wondering, do you just suffer from occasional stomach issues?

Re: All new
      #364834 - 05/21/11 02:45 AM
boron

Reged: 05/11/11

@ Syl. It would help if you say in your signature you have FM and not IBS. As you know, IBS is an exclusion diagnosis. Yes, onions might be more about...onions than fructose.

@Susie. So, you have a pseudo disease. That's beyond my knowledge.

@Gerikat. I got butterflies in my stomach after reading your post. Do I qualify now?

@ibsholly. I'm starting to believe there is no safe food list for IBS. Insoluble fiber > soluble fiber concept seems to have so many exceptions to the point being unreliable. For example, Psyllium husk is SF>IS but many cannot tolerate it.

--------------------
I don't have IBS.

Re: Boron new
      #364835 - 05/21/11 03:40 AM
Susie1985

That is a bit insulting. How is IBS or indeed FODMAP sensitivity a pseudo-disease?

And FYI I don't think you can be constipated if you eat white bread and not wholemeal bread... (Do wonder what your definition of constipation is then... And you seem to think you are an expert yet think that onions are problematic for fructose malabsorption sufferers just because they contain fructose, that's v helpful.. (not) but totally misleading..)

And how many people did you find that said that psyllium didn't work for them? In case you didn't read my post closely enough, for me it does/would work, most things with excess SF as opposed to IF do (but I wouldn't experiment with wholegrains as grains are different from vegetables) but anyhow I'm not going to waste my IF intake on a SFS when I can get that from healthy fruit and veggies that's why I use a 100% SF SFS.

Syl restricts his overall IF intake drastically btw, if you read some of the other posts you'll see that that is the case. And on what grounds you worked it out that he hasn't got IBS is beyond me.

--------------------

Re: All new
      #364836 - 05/21/11 05:14 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Quote:

It would help if you say in your signature you have FM and not IBS. As you know, IBS is an exclusion diagnosis

Fortunately, I like many others on this board have been officially diagnosed with both. I would have thought you might have known from reading the FODMAP literature that FM and IBS can co-exist. Over 50% of individuals diagnosed with IBS have FM too (See the reference below) so you can assume that a high percentage of individuals with IBS have FM too. This is one reason the FODMAP approach is used to manage functional GI disorder symptoms.

As for IBS an exclusion diagnosis you might want to consider this an old notion. The International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders has a web site aboutIBS.org that has an excellent article titled Current Approach to the Diagnosis of Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Quote:

In the past three decades, medical opinion has changed regarding how to diagnose IBS. The older view emphasized that IBS should be regarded primarily as a "diagnosis of exclusion;" that is, diagnosed only after diagnostic testing excludes many disorders that could possibly cause the symptoms. Because many medical disorders can produce the cardinal features of IBS, in particular abdominal discomfort or pain and disturbed bowel habit, this approach often led to extensive diagnostic testing in many patients. But there is no end to the studies that can be done to exclude other diagnoses. The perceived need by both physicians and patients to pursue other diagnoses rests in part with their limited understanding of IBS. It is a real condition with well defined clinical features and specific diagnostic criteria; this recognition can reduce unneeded testing.

This is partially a result of the Rome III diagnostic criteria used to diagnosis functional GI disorders such as IBS. In a naive sense any procedure that involves a differential diagnosis could be consider a diagnosis by exclusion.

Reference
Barrett, J. S., Irving, P. M., Shepherd, S. J., Muir, J. G. & Gibson, P. R. Comparison of the prevalence of fructose and lactose malabsorption across chronic intestinal disorders Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics 30, 165-174 (2009).

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3192 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19410

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review