All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: rice milk new
      #364796 - 05/19/11 02:34 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

I see, thanks. When did fructose malabsorption rear its ugly head for you?

As I said, I'm pretty certain that I did not have it pre-IBS, which would indicate that I shouldn't have it as an organic problem now...

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#364800 - 05/19/11 07:17 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Not sure when FM first appeared fro me.

Recall that everyone - even normal individuals - are FMs when the fructose load is high enough. A diagnosis of FM is made when there is a change in the level of hydrogen and/or methane breath gas above 20 parts per million after consuming a 25 gram load of fructose. The test does not tell you if you can or cannot handle smaller loads such as 1, 5, 10 etc gram load. It is possible that you have always been a FM but only after after you got IBS did you consciously recognize that FM was causing bloating, etc due to increased sensitivity to GI stimuli.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#364803 - 05/19/11 03:08 PM
Susie1985

I see. But if I was always FM but had no symptoms, ie no bloating, then how is that different from normal individuals, ie can it wreak havoc without even causing symptoms?

I may experiment with apples, I never used to eat anything else from that column. But fructans are 100% certain to be causing a lot of bloating for me and bread had been a staple all my life.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

#364804 - 05/19/11 05:26 PM
Syl

Bloating is a sensation. Distention a physical change in girth. They don't necessarily go hand-in-hand. It is possible that you had some bloating pre-IBS but you were not sensitive to it.

Reference
Agrawal, A. et al. Bloating and Distention in Irritable Bowel Syndrome: The Role of Visceral Sensation. Gastroenterology 134, 1882-1889 (2008).

Agrawal, A. & Whorwell, P. J. Review article: abdominal bloating and distension in functional gastrointestinal disorders - epidemiology and exploration of possible mechanisms Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics 27, 2-10 (2008).

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#364807 - 05/19/11 11:04 PM
skh

Reged: 08/05/09

why does rice milk cause constipation?

#364809 - 05/20/11 12:08 AM
Susie1985

Wow, thanks, I never drew a distinction... For me it was - have to unbutton my trousers or looking in the mirror I decidedly look pregnant....(Even now btw it's not usually associated with pain either.) So always used bloating and distention and gas interchangeably for this condition..

So it's an acute problem with IBS, but certainly had this problem before IBS, and may have been due to fructans/lactose. I used to have white bread sandwiches and cheese, then had this problem. Then when I had a lot of wholemeal bread/breakfast cereal on a massive scale during the couple of months before IBS started I had no such problems anymore...(but wholemeal bread is a fructan too!)

--------------------

#364811 - 05/20/11 02:38 AM
boron

Reged: 05/11/11

Susie,

you've mentioned earlier that both bread and onions give you gas. Wheat and onions are high in fructans. Onions also contain fructose. Fructans are problematic for individuals with fructose malabsorption (FM). It depends on the severity of fructose malabsorption and the *amount* of wheat or onions eaten, how much gas will be produced. If you can eat two tablespoons of honey (high in fructose) without having obvious gas or diarrhea within 48 hours, you do not likely have fructose malabsorption.

--------------------
I don't have IBS.

Boron - Question new
      #364816 - 05/20/11 06:37 AM
Syl

Do you have IBS, FM, both or neither?

Can you give me a reference source for the fructose content of onions indicating they have excess free fructose? The USDA database lists onions as having about 1.3 grams fructose and 2 grams glucose per 100 grams. Also, Gibson and Sherpherd make no mention of onions have excess free fructose. They definitely have fructans

--------------------

#364817 - 05/20/11 07:33 AM
Susie1985

You can have fructose malabsorption and be not sensitive to fructans and vice versa as far as I know. And no FODMAP table I've seen has ever indicated that onions are high in fructose.

--------------------

#364820 - 05/20/11 10:11 AM
ibsholly

Reged: 11/09/10

can i ask there is winter and summer sqaush in uk i think its callled corggettes and there green but what about the oranges sqaush are they safe for fructouse

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2187 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19409

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review