All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Yeast Overgrowths...Probiotics
      #364620 - 05/04/11 09:02 AM
frodobaggins

Reged: 02/03/08

I am posting this cautiously, because I'm afraid of jinxing myself!
For years, I have suffered with some very weird tummy issues that no doctor could really explain to me. I was always given the jive that I needed lots of fiber. Well, for about a week I've found something that has helped me so tremendously, I almost feel cured. ALMOST. I have started the no-yeast diet and very low sugar intake. I also take a daily probiotic Pearl-IC and in a matter of days, my bloat has gone down over 50%, I have lost an inch off my waist, I have tons of energy and my stomach pain has almost completely disappeared. I am wondering if I had been suffering from a yeast overgrowth all these years. The link below has a Candida test you can take and advice and recipes, etc. If this diet continues to do what it's been doing, I think I may have had yeast issues. My husband is on the diet too and is feeling some very positive effects. I hope this post brings about some positivity and possibility. I am not saying this is my cure, but I haven't felt this energetic and painless since I was a young teenager.
http://www.theyeastdiet.com/yeast-free-diet.html

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Yeast Overgrowths...Probiotics new
      #364622 - 05/04/11 09:17 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

my mother has always tried to prove that I have Candida, I think the symptoms can be identical (I'm kinda convinced I do have bona fide IBS, but she is not well-versed in the sciences/particularly liberal/open-minded). I knew someone with Candida, had to live on a v careful diet but she was then symptom-free!

If you can eat eggs,wholegrains and dark green veggies without problems then I don't think you have IBS btw.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

#364623 - 05/04/11 10:22 AM
frodobaggins

Reged: 02/03/08

That is very interesting. Maybe I never did have IBS. I am just marveling at how quickly my symptoms went away when I started the pearls and then removed yeast and white sugar from my diet. Crazy. I miss my pastries, but there are yeast-free alternatives. Thanks for the response. And God bless on your own journey toward recovery. Call me way too idealistic, but I believe there IS a cure out there. It just takes a lot of time and research to find it.

#364630 - 05/04/11 02:49 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Sounds like you did not have IBS - though the tricky thing to this is that some folks can have IBS alongside other conditions, and once the one thing is addressed, the IBS can linger on. Since you are better, than most likely it was not IBS to begin with...just an unprofessional observation!

Regarding this:

Quote:

If you can eat eggs,wholegrains and dark green veggies without problems then I don't think you have IBS btw.

One thing about IBS that I have observed not only with myself, but those I have talked with, as well as research studies, is that different food items can affect IBS patients in different ways. There are some who can tolerate all the above foods you mention with no problems, but still have IBS, some tolerate some of the foods and not others, and still other folks, have difficulties with all. IBS is not diagnosed by what specific foods you can or cannot eat because we do know that sufferers have different food triggers or diets that work for them. Everyone does have to find their own way, it is just not a one-size fits all - and for many IBS patients, their triggers can even change from day to day! I found that true in my own case, and many others have too. IBS is a hard nut to crack, and yes, you do have to try to find the best solution that works for you - glad you found yours! YAY!

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

#364631 - 05/05/11 01:02 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

I think we had a brief argument regarding this on the board before, concerning diets' efficacy, if not with you then with someone else.

Let me put it briefly, my considered opinion and it's true that I am a child of Syl's as it were, figuratively speaking, but I do believe in the science of it all and I can only roll my eyes when doctors or anyone else for that matter say that you have to experiment for yourself as some people have different food-triggers etc.

I know IBS is a v broad term, I know how it is defined but pls let me tell you this:
I still mainly class IBS as something that responds to the following triggers, primarily alcohol, caffeine, fat and IF, ie the ones Heather lists, in an abnormal way. It is as I said an inorganic problem. You have D or C or A or pain or bloating or some/all of these as a result. The FODMAP thing is a fairly new discovery but the majority of people suffering from IBS also have that. (not necessarily problems with all those 5 columns: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml, but some)
Apparently, only very few IBS-sufferers see no improvement when they address possible FODMAP issues. FODMAP trouble is, however, organic, that is why it cannot be helped by hypnosis. There is a less brain-gut connection there. Whereas, to my mind, that is exactly what IBS is deeply intertwined with, the brain-gut connection and how your body responds not to certain foods, but certain trigger-foods. And that is why saying that some high fat foods are ok, whereas others aren't doesn't bear scrutiny for me. I believe that only very few people would not benefit from a diet based on EFI guidelines combined with the FODMAP approach (see some of my earlier posts for my diet and the debate regarding this) because of this.

As for how some foods affect you differently some day than others, my explanation for that is that - have you ever had an exam to go to? Nervousness takes over. You have D. Going on a hot date? Excitement brimming over. Rush to the loo. I've had these things and pre-IBS, I had D. You're meant to have D then. It's evolutionary. But with IBS and this is where the whole stress/anxiety/IBs controlling your life comes in, if you are constantly in that sort of mindset or when you know you have to drive to work/ have to go on holiday, your body responds the same way, cos it's meant to. But this signals again the power of your mind, that it's actually partly your brain giving these unconscious instructions and in this case, it doesn't matter what you'd eaten, you'll still have symptoms. Just as it didn't matter what I'd eaten years ago when I was on the edge of my seat before my date (no IBS back then) I still had D. And this is where the relaxing/calming part of hypnosis comes in I guess.

Am I being clear here?

IBS is a hard nut to crack, but I for one, am all for the science behind it and hypnosis is by no means dismissed by anyone whose word is valuable in this matter. Look at the article Syl posted. But for those for whom it doesn't work, the basic guidelines of Heather's diet limited with cutting out required FODMAP foods will almost certainly provide relief in the long term. I can only say again, that if anyone does dismiss this approach, as 'I've been on every diet on earth and not made a difference', I used to be like that, but look at again my own diet I posted on here a while ago, take away a large amount of IF for that for Syl's diet, it's as restrictive as it gets but I'd be really really surprised if it didn't work for those that do have the IBS (and not some other underlying condition) that Heather's diet is meant to address in the first place.

oh and I have never NOT advocated trying hypnosis. And neither did Syl. And I am going to try to the hypnosis. (Think Syl already has tried.)

PS the FODMAP thing is very new btw.
PS2 thanks for other reply regarding bloating. hypnosis getting rid of my inorganic bloating will do fine for me! will start on Sat as I said, and getting off the board then!

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

No worries! :) new
      #364638 - 05/05/11 11:56 AM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

No problem with your explanations and your references and what you believe will help those who suffer with IBS.

Not here to debate anything - you and others do what you feel is best for you! You have found your way along with others with this diet and that is great!

But to clarify, it has also been found, that many people who have completed the hypnotherapy program, after finding that the diets, etc. did not help, DID find their way, and they were no longer on any specific diets, and certainly not overly restrictive diets.

So I am approaching this not as a substitute for trying the FODMAP, but as an adjunct, or the 'next thing' to try - most people do hypno as a very last resort.

So by all means, certainly sufferers should consider the FODMAP, or EFI, or other diets - whatever is necessary to help your condition. If that is the thing that helps, then the hypno may not even be needed. Or needed just for the brain-gut connection you mention.

No debate there.

Again, I do say that from past experience, in reading all your many posts, I believe you will need to be realistic regarding the results of the program for your specific situation. We have found that those who do rely on restrictive diets and are very food conscious on a constant monitoring level, sometimes are not as receptive because constantly thinking about your condition in relation to your diet, etc. may possibly play a major role in how you perceive yourself in relation to 'having' IBS.

All the best - and will bow out now.

Hope this helps! Take care.

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

#364681 - 05/11/11 02:16 AM
boron

Reged: 05/11/11

I have done an extensive research about intestinal yeast overgrowth and have found not even one reliable website proving its existence. Yeasts are normally present in practically everyone's intestine in small amount, and many people would be positive on candida, but this doesn't tell much since the test cannot evaluate the *amount* of candida.

The "yeast-free-diet is a low-FODMAP diet at the same time, so it is possible that this has helped you.

--------------------
I don't have IBS.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4973 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4468

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review