All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What ingredient in this bread is likely causing me trouble?..
      #364539 - 04/29/11 08:51 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I thought this seemed to be ok but after having it several times and having stomach pain immedietely after I am wondering what ingredient is likely the problem.. flour (wheat flour, malted barley flour), water, sugar, contains less than 2% of each of the following: salt, degerminated yellow corn meal, yeast, guar and xanthan gum blend, inactive dry yeast, soybean oil, ascorbic acid added as a dough conditioner, enzymes.
Could it be the inactive dry yeast? What is this exaclty? I have had other breads with cornmeal and I can tolerate some so I dont think this was the problem becuase I didn't have very much. I seem to notice that often times things with guar gum on the label bother me like certain sorbets that should be safe. I read that it can contain soy protein? Is this true? I cannot tolerate soy milk for sure but soy oil seems ok. COuld I be allergic to soy protein? After eating this bread I feel inflammation and a tingling sensation in my abdomen and legs.

Edited by Allisonmary (04/29/11 08:58 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What ingredient in this bread is likely causing me trouble?.. new
      #364540 - 04/30/11 04:43 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

You and I seem to have many similar symptoms including tingling in the legs. Could it be that as the contents of our intestines "scrape" along, they also stimulate nerves leading into the legs? I have not always had this - only during the last few months. I have a lot of questions but only few answers.

Cheers.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

#364541 - 04/30/11 04:56 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It could be the wheat. Since you are sensitive to excess fructose it quite possible that you have problems with fructans. Wheat contain 1-4% fructans which can cause IBS problems. Read the information in the first two links in my signature on FODMAPs. The rest of the ingredients look good and the corn has most of the IF removed.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#364542 - 04/30/11 05:01 AM
Allisonmary

I dont have the same trouble with other breads though. This is an immediate reaction, dont fructans start trouble when they reach the large intestine? Could it be that this product is higher in gluten than most white breads. Or maybe there is too much yeast (I notice it is listed twice on the label).
There is somethiing more to it then just the wheat because it is just this particular wheat product.

#364543 - 04/30/11 05:06 AM
Syl

The yeast is dead. You would have had problems with other yeast containing foods if that was the problem. What else did you eat with the bread?

The gluten content in that bread is not likely to be much different than any other bread. Have you had a test for celiac disease (i.e. endoscopy or blood test)?

Guar gum and xanthan gum are SF. Guar gum is frequently found in soluble fiber supplements.

Also, if the problems started immediately after eating it might not be food related but simply the act of eating which triggers the gastrocolic reflex .

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#364544 - 04/30/11 06:57 AM
Allisonmary

No, it's definetely that product in particular. Im going to have to research more about the guar gum I think it may be a problem for me.

#364545 - 04/30/11 07:01 AM
capricorn1942

Dr. Theodore Stein of the Cedars Sinai Medical Group (an associate of Dr. Mark Pimentel) described the contents of the intestines as "scraping" for IBS when I was seeing him as my gastro.

Cheers.

--------------------

#364546 - 04/30/11 07:03 AM
capricorn1942

Isn't guar gum the same thing as acacia?

Cheers.

--------------------

#364547 - 04/30/11 07:14 AM
Syl

Acacia is gum arabic.

--------------------

#364548 - 04/30/11 09:00 AM
Allisonmary

Thats an interesting theory. COuld be. I kind of thought that this feeling was a sign of inflammation or more of an allergic reaction to a food causing the release of histamine. Some foods give me stomach pain and then others like this one give me this uncomfortable sensation in my legs and really throughout my entire body. Almost a slight achiness like arthritis- like for a few hours. This was one of my first signs of having IBS and the first food I notices a reaction to was apple cinnamon cheerios and it caused this sensation. I guess it could be the wheat but I can have italian bread or plain white bread and not get this feeling.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 515 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5046

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review