All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
bacteria and fructose
      #364464 - 04/26/11 09:26 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I was wondering if it is possible for an overgrowth of bad bacteria to cuase fructose malabsorption symptoms but once the bacteria are killed, one can continue to eat fructose.
Also, if one does have bacterial overgrowth, do they need to be careful of all foods containing fructose or does the excess fructose rule still apply? For example someone with fructose malabsorption can eat bananas that arent overly ripe, however could the fructose content in bananas be bad for bacterial overgrowth?
How can you be sure which you have, will both breath tests come out positive no matter what the root cause?
I was given dulcolax for my colonoscopy which had lactose and sorbitan esterase ( I think thats what it was called) Im assuming this is related to sorbitol? THis would not be a good product for fructose malabsorption correct? I had a pretty severe reaction to it and Im wondering if it was those ingredients that caused it. My body felt like it was filled with air. Is it possible to get air like stuck in your neck and back from an allergic reaction?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: bacteria and fructose new
      #364466 - 04/26/11 09:54 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Not quite sure what you are asking. Did you GI doctor tell you there was a relationship between fructose malabsorption and bacterial overgrowth?

When you say both test what tests are you talking about? Is one of the test a breath test for SIBO?

The active ingredient in Dulcolax liquid is Sodium Picosulfate and in the table Bisacodyl. Both are strong GI stimulants. Presumably you took the liquid which may severe cause GI spasms in some people.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#364481 - 04/26/11 08:14 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I realize that laxatives can cause spasms. My reaction to this drug though was more like an allergy type reaction, I even got a rash. I was wondering if it had to do with fructose malabsorption. Here are the inactive ingredients: acacia, acetylated monoglyceride, carnauba wax, cellulose acetate phthalate, corn starch, dibutyl phthalate, docusate sodium, gelatin, glycerin, iron oxides, kaolin, lactose, magnesium stearate, methylparaben, pharmaceutical glaze, polyethylene glycol, povidone, propylparaben, Red No. 30 lake, sodium benzoate, sorbitan monooleate, sucrose, talc, titanium dioxide, white wax, Yellow No. 10 lake

What exactly is sorbitan monooleate, related to sorbitol?

I was talking about the hydrogen breath test for SIBO and the fructose breath test. I was wondering if someone with fructose malabsorption may get a positive reading for the hydrogen breath test if they ingested food that was high in fructose before the testing? Thanks

#364483 - 04/27/11 05:15 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Sorbitan monooleate is used to stabilize aqueous formulations of medications. It is a mixture of compounds derived from sorbitol. This does not mean it has the same effect as sorbitol. And it is used in very small amount in the laxative. It is near the end of the list of ingredients.

The preparation for the SIBO test should ensure that you are not eating fructose, foods with IF or a variety of other foods a day or so before the test. Here is an example of the preparation

Foods and Drinks the Day Before the Test:

These foods and drinks are best: Plain white bread, plain white rice, plain white potatoes, baked or broiled chicken or fish, water, non-flavored black coffee or tea. Salt may be used to flavor your food.

These foods and drinks should be avoided: Beans, pasta, meats (steaks), fiber or bran cereals, soda (pop) cola drinks, butter or margarine and high fiber foods (whole grains). Stop eating and drinking 12 hours before the test.

The thing about the SIBO test is that it has a high number of false positive results.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#365663 - 07/27/11 09:04 AM
Sugafree

Reged: 07/27/11

Hi Allisonmary how did you go with the fructose malabsorption? Did you treat SIBO? can you eat fructose again?
I'm interested as I'm in the same position and wondering what's next

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 427 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3172

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review