All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
allergy test..have u heard of this??????
      #364299 - 04/14/11 12:39 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

So I was sent to an allergist for my allergies and I got tested for 59 enviormental things and a few food things. It came back that I am allergic to 34 of the enviornmental and 4 of the foods. The doctor said the allergies "enviornmental ones" could be the cause of my stomach issues which is ibs-d. He said just like someone getting asthma or itchy skin or watery eyes it can cause problems with the immmune system and digestive system. My question is has anyone else ever been told or heard of this being the cause of their stomach issues?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: allergy test..have u heard of this?????? new
      #364300 - 04/14/11 12:48 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

What sort of allergy test was done? Was it a skin scratch test?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#364301 - 04/14/11 01:03 PM
mrae

It was the needle pricks in my back and on my arm. I was only tested for 28 for the foods and that came back with only 4 allergic foods. That was beef, ginger, lemon, white potato. It was the enviornmental ones that was so bad

#364302 - 04/14/11 01:29 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Interesting. I had a similar test many years ago. It was done on my back. Luckily I didn't show any significant reactions.

I believe it is possible that allergic reactions can precipitate IBS symptoms in someone with IBS or cause some GI upset in others. However, allergies are not the cause of IBS. Maybe others on the board with allergies can tell you if their symptoms get worse when their allergies flare up.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#364304 - 04/14/11 02:35 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Yes, I had a similar thing. Over a year ago I went to an allergist to test for food allergens and it turns out some of my environmental ones were off the charts! Apparently my grass allergy was one of the worst they've seen. My doc suspected that b/c that allergy was pretty severe, it could be causing drainage leading to my GI symptoms. She put me on allegra...I gave it a few months, but nothing changed. I stopped the allegra and felt well for a few months. I'm back to being in a rough patch now, but highly doubt it was the allergies causing my belly troubles.
Just thought I'd share my experience!:)

--------------------
IBS-A

#364306 - 04/14/11 04:18 PM
mrae

He wants me to start getting weekly allergies shots to gradually get my immune system stronger. He said I wouldn't see change for at least 6months cause it is a very low dose they start with but I guess its pretty much they take what I'm allergic to and give me a shot and gradually up it so that my immune systems isn't so sensitive to it. I figured I really don't have nothing to lose if I do it. I already take lomotil everyday so if it doesnt help I will just stay on my medication and if it does great. I would like to be tested for more food allergies which he said we can do more. Thanks for sharing your experiences with me on this.

#364334 - 04/16/11 07:14 PM
rasputin

Reged: 02/15/08

Read Food Allergies and Intolerances

It claims such tests aren't reliable for finding digestive allergies. the skin is too different compared to the gut.

but who knows, maybe you'll discover something

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 268 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3633

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review