All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Lower stomach pressure
      #364024 - 03/20/11 01:39 PM
thintz

Reged: 03/13/11

I have now become normal in bowel movements IBS-C through 800mg of magnesium before bedtime. Bowel every morning.
My spasms have minimalized through "peppermint tablets" 3 times a day. My upper ab has also mellowed out.
What I "cannot' get rid of is the lower gut pain. It is usually worse at the end of the day. Sitting definately flares it up. If I can get help for my lower gut pain ( pain is on both sides of stomach even with the belly button) I will be relatively O.K. ANYONE have advise? Is this pain from gas or acid build up? I do burp more frequently than before, but no "acid reflux" is felt going upwards. No burning etc. I have little of a belly ( not at all big ) and have resorted to an ab brace. Makes it pull in and much less discomort. Just want to get help for the lower gut pain. Also..it INSTANTLY goes away with a back adjustment? HELP

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Lower stomach pressure new
      #364026 - 03/21/11 04:08 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

It may be your iliopsoas muscles, a hip flexor that can be felt through the stomach and attaches to the lower spine. When it is contracted and has trigger points it can make it feel like you have stomach cramping and it can also actually impair digestion by compressing your intestines. You can try a self massage deep into your abdomen searching for tender spots. Or you can try extending your hips to stretch the muscle. I get this alot. I like to do headstands and then bring my feet backwards a little to stretch the abdomen and hip.

#364027 - 03/21/11 05:04 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

Thanks for this post. This is the first I have heard about this. I often feel like muscles in that area are involved in my ibs. I feel them in my lower abdomen / hip area. Do you know whereI can fid out more about this?

Cheers.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

#364035 - 03/22/11 05:31 AM
Allisonmary

The psoas is not easy to locate and because it is so deep within the human core, it can not easily be palpated.
A part of the flee/fight/freeze response, invasive techniques can exacerbate psoas problems. A primal messenger of the central nervous system the psoas is an emotional muscle expressing what is felt deep within the belly core – what is commonly referred to as "gut feelings".

A tense psoas can disturb digestion,low back pain, reproductive functioning and create a host of other aliments. Released and vital it fosters feelings of pleasure and comfortable.

If you go to a good experienced massage therapist, maybe one that also specializes in myofascial release or maybe active release technique, they should be able to stretch your psoas and release it if it is tight. Its amazing how much better your stomach pain will feel if it is tight.

I always knew my psoas muscle was tight and probably negatively affected my IBS but I didnt realize how much it affected it until last week when I had a colonoscopy. It was amazing how I was completely cleaned out and I still had this cramp deep within my abdomen. But I knew it had to be muscular becuase there was nothing in me!

#364036 - 03/22/11 07:55 AM
capricorn1942

I know you have found relief from accupuncture. Can these muscles be treated with accupuncture?

Cheers.

--------------------

Re: Lower stomach pressure -bump new
      #364054 - 03/27/11 05:01 AM
capricorn1942

--------------------

#364068 - 03/27/11 07:38 PM
Allisonmary

Yea they definetely can if the acupuncturist is familiar with these muscles. It may be best to find an acupuncturist that is also a massage therapist. I would think that the best treatment would depend on why these muscles are tight in the first place. If it is only postural, maybe massage would be better, especially myofascial release. If it is because of stress or your IBS then acupuncture would probably be very helpful with the massage.Stretching is important too. Let me know if you give it a try!

#364069 - 03/28/11 04:52 AM
capricorn1942

Thanks for your response Allisonmary. I will look into it and let you know if I try it.

Cheers.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2568 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13213

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review