All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Spoke too soon - stopped the pill and oh man!!!
      #363937 - 03/08/11 01:21 PM
Followmyheart

Reged: 12/15/10
Loc: BC, Canada

Hi everyone,

Well I stopped the pill after my 'pretend cycle' and am now pill free for the first time in 15 years. Since Sunday, my IBS(D) has begun to flare up like you wouldn't even believe! I am shocked actually.

My stomach is growling and rumbling and I'm trying to take a bit of immodium (not much...just like 1/2 a pill) so I can get to work and back. I have a 40 minute commute both ways, YIKES! Plus I'm supposed to be going on a fun weekend getaway and I'm not feeling so excited about that right now.

A few questions:
1. Do you think that my IBS will be worse now that I'm off the pill, or do you think that it might just be because of a huge hormonal shift for me?
2. Regarding soluble fiber supplementation: I normally take about 9-11 grams of fiber per day, right before each meal and snack. Should I be taking it with LESS water?

This is something I've thought about a great deal. For people with constipation, it makes sense to drink a whole ton of water. For people with diharrea, my intestines are already full of water...do I really need to be taking the supplement with a full glass of water, or should I be cutting it down to half a glass of water?

If the supplement absorbs so much water, does that not mean that the more I drink, the less effective I'm making the supplementation?

There's a question for everyone!

I am looking forward to your responses!

Many blessings

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live."~Flora Whittemore

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Spoke too soon - stopped the pill and oh man!!! new
      #363940 - 03/08/11 04:36 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I am surprised you would have such a strong reaction. I went off the pill for a month and had about 10 great days before I went back to normal. I can't explain your reaction.

You might want to try one water bottle with your fiber in it, sipped throughout the day.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Spoke too soon - stopped the pill and oh man!!! new
      #363942 - 03/09/11 05:40 AM
Followmyheart

Reged: 12/15/10
Loc: BC, Canada

Hi Minnie, thanks for your reply.

You know, I was thinking about this last night and I think my stopping the pill and my IBS acting up might just be two separate occurances...In the past week, I've been under some extreme stress. However, when I looked back, unfortunately I'm getting used to it (uh oh!) and am blaming this flare up on stopping the pill.

Thank you for your kind reply as always...

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live."~Flora Whittemore

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 767 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5397

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review