All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Has anyone tried and had luck with, Chia Seed Gel?
      #363934 - 03/08/11 08:16 AM
MonaRaeHill

Reged: 03/03/11

I was thinking of trying to make my own acacia berry/chia seed gel fiber, in order to do a master cleanse with it. (Still waiting for my acacia berry fiber from Heather, to come in the mail......)

I just did a liquid cleanse for a month and it was amazingly helpful. When I came off it, I followed the IBS cheat-sheet, and wallah! my intestines have decided to come back on board (although it did take several days of easing back into the world of actually digesting.....).

I am really glad to have found this site, it's most helpful, so thanks in advance to everyone for being here.

Happy Spring!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Has anyone tried and had luck with, Chia Seed Gel? new
      #363943 - 03/09/11 05:45 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You may want to be careful with Chia seeds. Althought they contain a considerable amount of soluble fiber (6-7%) they also contain about 5 times as much insoluble fiber (33-35%).

As you probably know from reading Heather's information insoluble fiber can be a strong IBS triggers. You might try using one part finely ground Chia seeds to five parts acaia fiber to balance things out.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#363961 - 03/10/11 08:09 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I've been stable for quite a long time now, but I just recently started using chia gel in place of flaxseed in my morning smoothie. I fill a 16 oz glass jar with 1/3 cup chia seeds, fill to the top with water, shake, and refrigerate. I add 2 tablespoons to my smoothie and haven't had any problems with it. I think soaking them in water might help with their digestibility.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#364117 - 04/01/11 12:24 PM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

i have chia frequently with no problems, but the only way to find out is to try it! what works for one person doesn't necessarily for another, as everyone with IBS knows! i wish it was more simple!

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#364158 - 04/06/11 10:24 AM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

if you want to try it, a delicious drink is Chia Fresca...8 oz unsweetened coconut water, 2 tsp chia seeds, and juice of 1/2 lemon. let sit for 10 minutes to gel a bit and drink. i have this some mornings and it is filling and lovely tasting

--------------------
stable IBS-A

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 1735 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3599

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review