All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Very Disappointed
      #363756 - 02/28/11 01:54 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I have been part of this group for a while and last year "had" been my best year with my IBS, despite losing my dad to cancer and having to deal with watching my mom go through Alzheimer's - I have been doing great! Then this year 2011 came and I have been sick more this year then all of last year combined and I don't know why. No new meds, eating has not changed, stress is always the same (no worse, not better) - I just cannot understand why this is happening all of a sudden and with such vengence.

Does anyone have any suggestions. My biggest (and always has been) is the flippin spastic colon cramping, which feels like labor pains. I had an episode the other night that last 3 1/2 hours of constant labor pains before I finally went to the bathroom, after the initial bout I will go anywhere for 2-10 times always (D). I don't think I'd mind the D, it's the cramping. It's draining, nauseating, painful, annoying.

I cannot take this anymore and there are times when I'd rather not eat then experience one of these attacks. My GI doctors have done all they can do or offer. I'm like a big ? with them. Any help please.

Are there any new meds out for IBS cramping?

LtDanFan

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Very Disappointed new
      #363757 - 02/28/11 03:17 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Do you think it could be a delayed reaction to all of your crises of 2010? I know that may sound a bit strange, but I know that has happened with me. I went through some issues with my mom in 2009, and did not have a good first half of 2010. I think, at least for me, I am great through the crisis and then seem to fall apart afterward. Just a thought for you to ponder.

Also, I did 3 rounds of the hypno and that helped me to realize it wasn't so much about the food, but more about what was going on in my life. The hypno is what saved me the rest of last year.

#363761 - 02/28/11 05:20 PM
LtDanFan

I don't know. It's really been so long since I've had to deal with it. I don't know if that's an option of not. I did have to put my mom in a nursing home the beginning of this year and I know that liked to kill me. I was sick for 3 straight days, but she has been doing well, so that's what boggles my mind. Should I increase my anxiety meds I wonder or my Librax - I'm just so confused. It's odd when you get pretty stable and then wham.........it's like I'm back to square one and I just don't know what to do. Thanks!

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia

#363762 - 02/28/11 05:22 PM
LtDanFan

Also, I'm unemployed right now and I can't afford the hypno (are you talking the hypno tapes through this group)?

--------------------

#363769 - 02/28/11 06:24 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Hi - I replied to you over on the hypno forum, but now I have 'the rest of the story' over here -

Firstly, hypnotherapy does not work for everyone, however, the author of the IBS Audio Program also does emotional recovery therapy for those who have gone through breast cancer and other cancers, because after going through all the treatments, etc. the emotional aspects lag behind the physical and can result in other physical symptoms - so too, you may be having a delayed reaction to all the many stressors you have gone through. And my heart goes out to you for all you have been through - ((HUGS))...

Hope this helps - If you have any questions, let me know, and I may have some help for you as well.

On a side note - saw the Lt Dan Band this summer at a fund raiser for soldiers - is that who you are a fan of?

Take care.

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

#363770 - 02/28/11 06:35 PM
Gerikat

Well, I really can't answer to the meds, because I don't take any and never have.

I think the key is really learning yourself. I know that I have learned answers to many questions I have about myself and my patterns, but it took some time. That is when I realized that I don't suffer immediately but seem to have delayed reactions to everything.

I often wonder about being stable for a long period of time and then "wham" as you say, right back to square one. I think it is often times about more than the food, especially if you have not changed your diet. I have been stable for quite awhile now, and really don't give it much thought. I find the less I focus on it, the less I am bothered by it.

I know that does not help you now, when you are going through a tough time, but that is what has worked for me. I finally realized there are no quick fixes. It took time and patience to get where I am today, and the hypnotherapy tapes are, I am convinced, what put me over the hump.

#363772 - 02/28/11 06:37 PM
Gerikat

Yes, those are the tapes. Unemployment is tough, but I know sometimes the tapes go on sale. I got mine on sale.

#363776 - 03/01/11 03:28 AM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

I am not at all sure how these things work, and I do accept that trauma and stress can exacerbate IBS (that was what triggered my IBS in the first place) but what I found is that if I eat according to the FODMAP guidelines (see Syl's signature) cutting out lactose and fructose and severely limiting fructans, polyols etc AND I am careful about my meals only having a 20% overall fat intake AND I only ever eat permitted IF-food (-no wholegrains apart from oatmeal) with a SF supplement/ food that is scientifically proven to have resistant starch/ more SF than IF, ie cooled rice, pasta and potato/ green-yellow bananas (white bread does not really work as a SF base from a scientific point of view), no matter what I was going through psychologically/emotionally etc I did not have pain or D.

You do have to be disciplined and have to cook entirely for yourself, have to look out for getting all vitamins and antioxidants, as I only eat a maximum of 25 types of food, no more. (Syl may eat even less) But I function as though I didn't have IBS. (almost, as I do have bloating, but no pain, no D). it's not convenient esp to start with cos you can't eat out and so on, but you can still eat healthily and I for one never minded the lack of variety in terms of what I eat. and as I said there is no D or pain.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

#363792 - 03/01/11 11:15 AM
LtDanFan

I have followed "the diet" faithfully for over 4 years, even though I've been a memember of this group since 2003. Yes, I was in denial for many many years over, the lactose/lactaid thing. Decaf coffee, gum etc. So I follow the fat ratio, eat within the guidelines. Use her tummy fiber, peppermin oil caps, tea etc. I guess I just don't get when I know I'm a crazed lunetic and having a very stressful time, my tummy is fine, but when I'm fine, my tummy is not. Doesn't make sense.

I have cooked for myself for years and it's very annoying because my husband is helpless (in the kitchen) so cooking two meals every night is ridiculous!

--------------------

#363793 - 03/01/11 11:18 AM
LtDanFan

Oh, I know there are no quick fixes - I have had IBS for 25+ years. And have only became stable the past couple. It just seems it doesn't matter how closely I follow my diet, stress, it always finds me. I read that the older you get the better it gets and last year I was beginning to believe that, but not this year.......good grief

--------------------

Re: Very Disappointed - Gerikate new
      #363794 - 03/01/11 11:18 AM
LtDanFan

Are you talking about the tapes from this website?

--------------------

Re: Very Disappointed - Marilyn new
      #363795 - 03/01/11 11:23 AM
LtDanFan

Thanks for the advice. I guess I need to come up with the money for the hypno series. I considered it a couple years back, but did seem to get a lot better. But this is horrible to have had more episodes this year alone then all of last year is exhausting.

And yes, I am in "love" with actor Gary Sinise! I have met him twice - stalker LOL - I have yet to see LtDan Band, but that is on my Bucket List. I first fell "in love" when I saw him in Forrest Gump in 1994........he had me when he walked out of his tent with those dog tags hanging on his chest.....

--------------------

#363802 - 03/01/11 01:19 PM
Gerikat

I am sure you are very aware of the quick fix issue. I didn't mean to imply you didn't.

The food thing, I suspect, is not the culprit for you. Especially, if you have been very careful and not changed much that you eat.

Let me share with you that before the hypnosis tapes I was doing exactly the same thing. Doing what everyone on here told me to do. Dissect my diet! Guess what, it did not work. No matter how much I deprived myself, it did not work. I already had a very healthy vegetarian diet, so I knew I was one step ahead. But there was a piece missing and what I found after about 2 years, was that I had to dig a little deeper. For me, that worked and I haven't looked back. I enjoy a varied diet with no repercussions at all.

Well, I guess you could continue on with dissecting your diet. Trying to figure it all out. But, I don't think that is your answer. That is strictly my opinion. I have also had IBS since I was a child, but it wasn't until about the last 2 years that I found my answer. I hope you find yours. Wishing you well!

Re: Very Disappointed - Gerikat new
      #363803 - 03/01/11 01:41 PM
LtDanFan

I'm well aware of the quick fixes and so wish there was one. I am really hoping to find funding for the tapes. All of my "extra" money goes to my MS medication. It's very frustrating, and I do appreciate your help!

--------------------

#363809 - 03/01/11 05:38 PM
Gerikat

Oh, I did not see the MS in your signature until now. Talk about really getting hit with it all. So sorry. Hope you find your path to healing.

Maybe I can help... new
      #363813 - 03/01/11 10:20 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

LtDanFan - After reading more closely all your health issues, as well as your financial situation, if you are considering the IBS Audio Program, please call 877-898-2539 or send a message to me or Mike on the healthyaudio.com contact page as I, perhaps with consultation with Mike, need to discuss your other health issues with respect to the hypnotherapy to see what would be right for your specific situation as well as perhaps seeing if there is a special grant for you for possible funding to get the program.

The program would not be harmful to you in anyway, but given all the other issues going on in your life with both health and stressors, I know that Mike has special helps and protocols sometimes when a patient is not strictly "IBS" - that will help you to make the most progress possible, if you do decide to go with the program.

Again, no guarantees, but I do know that folks with other health/stressor conditions sometimes have those areas in their life dealt with first, as was my case, then the IBS is addressed. Everyone is different, but the key to it is not to give up, because in most cases, people do see help and the frustration finally ends - so there IS hope! And no worries either way - just putting the offer to help out there - totally up to you, we are always here to help - that is what the good Lord put us here to do, and we try!!

And on yet another note - we have another thing in common - wildlife - I live near a preserve and visit the baby squirrels and critters there - a very calming place! Nature is so helpful for health, isnt it?

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

Re: Maybe I can help... - Marilyn new
      #363816 - 03/02/11 10:33 AM
LtDanFan

Thank you so much. I am off to the dentis shortly, but will send an e-mail when I return. Right now, my biggest issue is my IBS. I've had it since I was in my early teens. It's funny, I can deal with the fibo, the MS, the GERD, but can't handle the IBS. I think the added health issues add to my stress, which worsens ALL of my illnesses, but especially the IBS. I've been tested with many colonoscopies, gluten allergy testing and my colonoscopies show a very spastic colon.

Animals are my passion. I have done wildlife rehab for 10 years this year. I am a licensed wildlife rehabilitator and volunteer at a local nature center near my home, my hours of volunteering has decreased quite a bit, but I so look forward to spring and the babies that comes in and being able to rehab them to health and to release them to the wild. It's so rewarding and the nature center is so peaceful. Once again thanks and I will contact you!

Cheryl

--------------------

#363817 - 03/02/11 10:35 AM
LtDanFan

Maybe I should take all of my illness off my signature - maybe that would make them go away...... No need to apoligize. I wrote a note earlier - I can deal with all the stuff except the IBS...

--------------------

#363830 - 03/03/11 04:08 AM
CellSalts_Work

are you eating according to FODMAP guidelines as well?

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#363837 - 03/03/11 07:52 AM
LtDanFan

Yes I am.

--------------------

#363839 - 03/03/11 09:27 AM
CellSalts_Work

oh I am so sorry and I don't know what to advise then

my diet is extremely restricted but at least I have no problems barring the bloating.

best of luck, try the relaxation, self hypnosis, I have a pdf file detailing it all, email me on safo1611@gmail.com if you'd like me to forward it.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2935 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8357

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review