All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Flax seeds
      #363679 - 02/25/11 02:30 PM
happy2b

Reged: 02/19/11
Loc: South Carolina

is there a way to incorporate Flax seed, in particular Golden Flax seed, into the diet to where it doesn't cause any "disturbances"? am concerned about long-term affects of using Metamucil, as i understand Psyllium is more abrasive to the intestinal walls than Flax seeds. can it be ground and blended into one of Heather's bread recipes? how can it be used safely?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Flax seeds new
      #363683 - 02/25/11 04:47 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

If you grind it finely and start with a small amount worked into a smoothie or something with SF and no fat, it might be ok for you. Some people wouldn't be able to handle it.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#363684 - 02/25/11 05:10 PM
happy2b

Reged: 02/19/11
Loc: South Carolina

thanks for the feedback. as i'm sure you are aware, there is a plethora of information out there, one doctor or dietician says this, another says no. am hoping the benefits of flaxseed, overide any side affects.

#363688 - 02/25/11 06:41 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I can easily handle seeds/nuts. I grind flax in a coffee grinder for soups, salads, cereals, etc. They may not be for you. It's always about trial and error. Sorry, but that is the only way.

Or you could include it in a recipe although I have not tried that yet. Just start with a very small amount ground very finely.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 902 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1899

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review