All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
pain location question from a newbie
      #363613 - 02/23/11 04:17 PM
happy2b

Reged: 02/19/11
Loc: South Carolina

while most of my IBS pain is on the left lower quadrant of the abdomen, are most of you guys experiencing pain in this location? is this typical location?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: pain location question from a newbie new
      #363649 - 02/25/11 05:22 AM
gizmo

Reged: 07/28/10

Yes, that is where I experience most of my pain. My GI doc told me that it was normal because that is where the large intestine is (colon). When I had my colonoscopy done the nurse at the hospital told me when I was done to lay on my left side to help relieve any of the excess gas from having the test done.

#363651 - 02/25/11 05:50 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The pain can occur anywhere in the colon . The left side is the descending colon which is a common place for IBS pain. There are others on the board like myself that experience the pain on the right hand side in the ascending colon or in the middle along the transverse colon. During major flare-up I feel the pain in the ascending and transverse colon.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#363652 - 02/25/11 05:55 AM
happy2b

thanks, i appreciate the feedback. am trying to get "up and running" with all of this stuff pretty quickly, so thank you.

#363653 - 02/25/11 05:59 AM
happy2b

thanks Syl. it makes me feel a bit better to understand what others are dealing with also. i appreciate the educational information, as i think many doctors today don't discuss either the functionality of what their patients are dealing, nor do they educate them long term with how to manage it. so i'm appreciative of the Anatomy & Physiology lessons along the way.

#363658 - 02/25/11 06:35 AM
gizmo

You're welcome again! Good luck to you and I hope you start feeling better real soon. This diet and acacia fiber has worked wonders for me.

Re: pain location question from a newbie, other location new
      #363659 - 02/25/11 06:41 AM
happy2b

one further question, i have you or others on the board, experienced pain (dull) in the lower back or as far up as the middle of the back. mine seems to "migrate". i had a CT that did not show any other abnormalities, i.e., gallbladder, liver, etc., or other things that one might consider a "suspect".

Re: pain location question from a newbie, other location new
      #363663 - 02/25/11 07:22 AM
gizmo

No, I haven't had that trouble before. I have always had some lower back pain in my right side but that's a whole other issue for me. Maybe someone else on the board will have had the same experience. Sorry I can't be of more help.

#363687 - 02/25/11 06:24 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Just to clarify what your GI said, the large intestine aka the colon is an upside-down horseshoe shape that goes up your right side, along your belly and down your left side, ending at the rectum. So while your pain on the left side is coming from your colon, pain from the right side could also come from your colon. That make sense? I get most of my spasm in the "flexures" or corners of the colon - where the ascending colon turns into the transverse and, to a lesser degree, where the transverse turns into the descending.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#363695 - 02/26/11 07:10 AM
gizmo

Yes, that makes sense to me. Thanks!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3420 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4835

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review