All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
is Lactaid safe for IBS?
      #363609 - 02/23/11 03:44 PM
happy2b

Reged: 02/19/11
Loc: South Carolina

i am taking Heather's suggestion on NO to dairy products, even though i am not lactose intolerant. i love old fashioned milk, but since IBS, it does not love me. my question is, is Lactaid considered acceptable for IBS tolerance? thank you.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: is Lactaid safe for IBS? new
      #363647 - 02/25/11 04:59 AM
gizmo

Reged: 07/28/10

I'm not sure about lactaid being OK. Doesn't that mean it's just lactose free that it could still contain casein which is found in milk products that can still be problematic for some with IBS? Maybe someone would know the answer to this better. I had bought some cheese that was lactose free but still had casein in it and it made me horribly sick. I always thought lactose free and dairy free were the same thing but then I realized that, that's not the case. Now when I buy things I maker sure it's dairy free. You could always try soy, rice or almond milk. Those are OK for IBS. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

#363655 - 02/25/11 06:05 AM
happy2b

Reged: 02/19/11
Loc: South Carolina

yes, i agree. i think it boils down to really "religiously" reading the labels, because as you say, the product marketing descriptions might not be entirely accurate. i threw out the container of Lactaid i got, as i had the same reaction. i am now using 8th Continent Soy milk and/or Blue Diamond Almond milk, and seem to be o.k. with it. appreciate the feedback!

#363657 - 02/25/11 06:32 AM
gizmo

Reged: 07/28/10

You're welcome! You really do have to read the labels closely because they sneak things in there sometimes you wouldn't expect. I'm sorry you had a reaction the lactaid. I used both 8th continent soy milk and blue diamond almond milk without any trouble.

#363682 - 02/25/11 04:45 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Lactaid is safe but you won't need it if you do what is right and avoid dairy. However Heather has said a long time ago that when you are stable and you have an occasional treat with some dairy in it, you might as well try a lactaid first.
OOps I was thinking about those lactaid pills not the milk.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Edited by Little Minnie (02/25/11 04:46 PM)

#363741 - 02/28/11 06:25 AM
Followmyheart

Reged: 12/15/10
Loc: BC, Canada

I know this post is a bit older, but I wanted to reply. I am also lactose intolerant, and even when I take lactaid pills (full dosage) with milk products, I still have IBS symptoms. I think that dairy and IBS just don't go together regardless!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live."~Flora Whittemore

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1387 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4025

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review