All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
recommended Probiotics?
      #363520 - 02/20/11 01:07 PM
happy2b

Reged: 02/19/11
Loc: South Carolina

forgive me as i am a newbie, so i wasn't sure where to post this question: can a Probiotic be taken without a Prebiotic, and vice-versa? Also, what are the best over-the-counter Probiotics? There are so many of them at the drug store, it is hard to determine which ones have the necessary ingredients. I am of the understanding that those with inulin can cause gastric problems. I am just now reading the "First Year IBS" book, so am really trying to wrestle with alot of information, and getting a handle on this problem quickly. thank you, and i look forward to hearing what has been helpful to others.

H.H.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: recommended Probiotics? new
      #363521 - 02/20/11 02:55 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Only a few probiotics have been shown to be effective for managing IBS symptoms. Three probiotics that have been clinically tested that you might consider are Align, VSL#3 and Digestive Advantage . I have use Natren's Life Start which contains the same probiotic found in Align (Bifidobacterium infantis) but it comes in powder form a bottle and it has to be kept in the fridge.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#363522 - 02/20/11 03:40 PM
happy2b

Syl, thank you for the information. Is it necessary to take a Probiotic along with a Prebiotic, i.e., Heather's Senegal Accacia product? Can you take one without the other? Confused as to the difference between a Probiotic and a Prebiotic.

H.H.
South Carolina

#363525 - 02/20/11 04:20 PM
Syl

Prebiotics are food that probiotics (bacteria) ferment in the colon. Many soluble fiber supplements such as Heather's acacia have prebiotic properties. So do many of the foods you eat. It isn't strickly necessary to take a prebiotic with a probiotic.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#363526 - 02/20/11 04:29 PM
happy2b

so then to use Heather's Prebiotic fiber, along with a probiotic product like Align, Natren, isn't too much of a good thing? secondly, can a prebiotic and a probiotic be taken at the same time, or should they be spaced out during the day? thanks Syl. you are a powerhouse of information!

H.H.

#363528 - 02/20/11 05:01 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Hi there, and welcome. There are quite a few different varieties out there. Something that I will share with you that I learned via trial and error, is that probiotics can get very expensive, expecially Align. So, really evaluate, if you decide to start one, to see if it is really working for you.

I tried 3 different kinds and two worked briefly, and one, Align, did absolutely nothing and it is very expensive.

So just make sure it is working for you, before you continue to take them and spend all that money. Hope that helps.

#363529 - 02/20/11 05:36 PM
happy2b

thanks! i appreciate the feedback, since i am a newbie to the message board. yes, i am taking alot of this with a grain of salt, as far as over the counter Probiotics. it is appreciated to hear from those who have "been there done that".

#363538 - 02/21/11 03:53 AM
Syl

Yes - you can take them together and at the same time. In fact some probiotics contain a prebiotic which is usually FOS or inulin. Unfortunately, these soluble fiber rapidly ferment which can produce gas and excerbate IBS symptoms.

--------------------

Syl - Culturelle? new
      #363551 - 02/21/11 11:26 AM
jhuggs

Reged: 03/18/09
Loc: Erie, PA

Hi Syl!
I've seen some commercials for the Probiotic called Culturelle. Are you familiar with this at all?
Thanks,
Jen

--------------------
IBS-D & bloating.

Re: Syl - Culturelle? new
      #363553 - 02/21/11 11:51 AM
Syl

Culturelle contains Lactobacillus GG which is the same as Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (ATCC 53103). I know of one IBS clinical trial that had this bacteria included in a cocktail of 5 other bacteria. The results were mildly positive. However, there is know way of knowing if this bacteria alone would have beneficial effects. It has been shown that this bacteria is effect for helping D in children with rotavirus infections.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3158 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11477

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review