All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
acupuncture
      #363494 - 02/18/11 06:05 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

For those of you that wonder if acupuncture works or not, it without a doubt can work wonders. I had a bad attack the last few days and decided to go for acupuncture before. I am completely amazed by how well a 45 min session worked. Ive gotten acupuncture before and have been helped alot by it but I never went when I was so sick like I was today. The difference is unbelievable, I feel like I had a heavy dose of drugs lol. YOU should all give it a try its amazing dont listen to anyone who tells you it doesn't work for stomach pains, it does.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: acupuncture new
      #363495 - 02/19/11 03:51 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I have tried acupuncture 3 times with a number of sessions each time. It didn't help even the smallest amount. This is inline with the clinical research reports of little to no effect of acupunture on IBS. There is a strong placebo effect.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#363496 - 02/19/11 04:04 AM
Allisonmary

i dont care it works, im telling you, the results last night were unbelievable. I almost was going to go to the emergency room it hurt that bad and then I actually felt really good after and was able to eat quite a bit. Maybe they didn't treat you correctly. I dont care about those studies, there are also many studies saying it does work.

#363497 - 02/19/11 04:13 AM
Syl

It is great that it worked for you.

The acupunturist I saw taught in China for many years and currently teaches medical students in the local hospitals. Even he told me that the success for IBS was limited at best.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#363498 - 02/19/11 05:07 AM
Allisonmary

I just wish you wouldn't do that with the studies making it seem like it doesn't work when I know it could help so many people on this site. Even Heather's website talks about how it is effective for IBS http://www.helpforibs.com/footer/acupunct.asp#studies

#363499 - 02/19/11 05:17 AM
Syl

The 2000 trial referred to on that page involved only 27 patients which is a very small trial. There have been many studies done since then including the 2009 study published in the prestigious Nature journal referenced below. It concluded "This study did not find evidence to support the superiority of acupuncture compared with sham acupuncture in the treatment of IBS". The results are indicative of the placebo effect which is strong from many proposed IBS treatments.

It can be a costly procedure for limited benefit. Of course if you have insurance that pays for it then by all means give it a try. I believe we had this discussion a couple of years ago.

Reference
Lembo, A. J. et al. A Treatment Trial of Acupuncture in IBS Patients. . American Journal of Gastroenterology 104, 1489-1497 (2009).

--------------------

#363500 - 02/19/11 05:17 AM
Thai

Reged: 10/04/09

I had numerous acupuncture sessions this past summer and overall it was a positive experience for me.
I researched different clinics and ended up with one that had a great track record, not only by their own claims but by actual results from people I know.

I was fortunate to see improvement in my IBS, long term sleep issues, and as well headaches that have plagued me for years.

Is it the placebo affect? Who knows (or cares)....all I know is that I have not lost an entire day or two to a headache that sent me to bed in a drug induced haze, have had only a handful of nights that saw me tossing and turning for hours on end and have had more bowel movements on the normal end of the scale than not!

I believe in the power of positive thinking and never giving up, and when I started the acupuncture I was convinced that this was going to help me. And help me it did. I had no idea or thought that it would have helped sooooo much. I was looking for SOME improvement and ended up with so much more.

It turned out to be ONE of the many things that I use to deal with this condition.

--------------------
IBS-D

#363501 - 02/19/11 05:22 AM
Thai

Reged: 10/04/09

ooops....sorry to have butted in on this.

I didn't realize the timing of the posts and that you were both still hashing this out.

Backing out now.....

--------------------
IBS-D

#363502 - 02/19/11 05:37 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

I went to this guy for 6 months for both accupuncture and chinese herbs:

http://beyondwellbeing.com/

I got NO help from either. It does not help everyone - glad it helped you. What a waste of money for me.

Cheers

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

No problem ... new
      #363503 - 02/19/11 05:50 AM
Syl

All points of view are welcome and important to give others a complete perspective.

I did have good result using acupunture to treat a back pain problem. And I always enjoy the feeling after the session. It just didn't have any beneficial effects on my IBS symptoms.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1557 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6320

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review