All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Re: SCD can be IBS friendly - depends on your individual needs new
      #363591 - 02/22/11 08:05 AM
happy2b

Reged: 02/19/11
Loc: South Carolina

sounds like you may be on to something. perhaps there are elements of both diets, that can have benefits. obviously, there are people with specific medical conditions who may not be able to eat some of the foods recommended, i.e, people with pre-existing kidney, heart, diabetic, and other conditions. so it certainly sounds like a very careful "balancing act". any type of chronic physical condition is wearing on the body. as all of us are searching for answers, good luck to all. i appreciate Heather putting together a forum like this. what a blessing!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: if you're not finding symptom relief, here's something to consider new
      #363818 - 03/02/11 11:00 AM
mommaflo

Reged: 03/01/11
Loc: nevada

I'm interested, u caught my attention. I've been on the Heathers "ibs diet" for over a year now with no positive change to my ibs-c, now things have taken a turn for the worst with new symptoms more like ibs-d & painful chest pain, I have become a prisoner of my ibs, I am 29 with 2 kids, I have birthdays to plan & errands to run I CAN NOT be stuck at home ALL THE TIME! I am DESPIRATE! So if I was interested in trying this "scd diet" where do I begin? How did you make the transition?

#363868 - 03/04/11 09:18 PM
hudlander

Reged: 09/26/10

You know I have tried EFI for 6 years, EFI+FODMAP going on a month, little relief.

I was told about the SCD....however.
I do have the exact same symptoms as the OP.
HOWEVER, I do not know how I could follow the SCD.
1st it is impossible to eat out or do anything with...second...I KNOW from experience I can not handle dairy/whole grains/or high fat food.

Tell me, OP...are foods you eat now on the SCD, are some of them foods which before WOULD cause problems?

#363882 - 03/05/11 10:26 AM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

mommaflo, i'm so sorry you're feeling so crappy. I can't imagine dealing with daily IBS symptoms with two kids.

The best way to get started on the SCD is to go to the website and read about the intro diet. Also, order the book, Breaking the Vicious Cycle, which is more detailed information about the how and why of the diet, as well as recipes.

Good luck. I hope it helps!

#363883 - 03/05/11 10:37 AM
frygurl

Not sure why you would stick to the EFI diet for 6 years if it didn't help you. Give any diet a reasonable time frame of about 6 months, if you don't get results, then there is no point in continuing.

The SCDiet is NOT easy, especially if you don't like to cook. But it's also NOT impossible to eat out. The most likely safe foods are salads with grilled protein (fish, beef, chicken). I also get protein style burgers, so they are wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun.

The answer to your question is, yes, I eat foods now on the SCD that I thought caused me problems before. Namely high fiber fruits and veggies. I think if you decide to try SCD since other diets haven't worked for you, you have to approach it with an open mind, and not assume that any particular foods cause you problems.

But it's also important to do the SCD the right way, which means starting with the intro diet. The intro diet last two to five days, and consists of homemade chicken soup (has to be homemade, but it's really simple), homemade gelatin flavored with fruit juice (also really simple), broiled beef, fish, or chicken, and scrambled eggs. No other fruits or veggies at first, then you introduce these foods one at a time, to see how you feel.

Read more about the diet at the SCD website or order the book. Good luck!

#363885 - 03/05/11 10:48 AM
hudlander

Reged: 09/26/10

Geez...how can you eat salads?
You have the exact same symptoms as me...bloating...d and c.

I know when I eat meat, dairy, foods high in fat, and high fiber food (like salad, not mustard) I get a lot worse.

This is why I did not try the SCD, because many of the menu items (nuts/salads) cause me a lot of problems.
Did salads/meat/scrambled eggs give you problems on a regular basis before the SCD and did you avoid them?

You mean to tell me that one day you went, tried the SCD, and were able to eat a VERY rough thing like salad without complaints?

#363886 - 03/05/11 11:02 AM
frygurl

I think the number one thing to remember is that we are all different, even if we have similar symptoms.

What causes my symptoms may be different than yours.

Here's the theory with the SCD: that certain carbohydrates are less easily digested and absorbed, thus feeding bad bacteria in your gut (creating gas, cramping, bloating, etc). I have tested and observed that grains including wheat, corn, rice, and oatmeal make me excessively gassy and bloated, more so than any fruit or veggie I eat.

Before the SCD, I never would have believed this. But this is what's true for me, and it's true for my husband as well.

The only way to know is to try it.

Re: Sugars new
      #363889 - 03/05/11 02:45 PM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

if it was true that they benefited from the diet on account of the restriction of wheat, surely white rice, potatoes and oatmeal should not cause them problems? these are all FODMAP friendly.

I had no idea grains were that nutritious, some person told me a couple of months back that rice, potatoes, bread and pasta are mainly empty carbs and we have not much need for them except if we're active sportspeople who need all that energy.

I can see how the SCD can reduce bloating in a not particularly sensitive IBS person (SF and RS are meant to be bloating!?) but how it regulates bowel movements, not causing either D or C or spasms - I am puzzled to say the least.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

#363901 - 03/06/11 01:39 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Could the fact that all grains are commonly or universally (corn)contaminated with mycotoxins be a factor in the SCD helping some people? As well, doesn't the SCD eliminate yeast? That for me is a BIG trigger. With the elimination of yeast and high carb sugars on the SCD, bacteria and fungus (yeast) is not being fed. What happens to yeast when you add sugar?

#363910 - 03/06/11 08:23 PM
rasputin

Reged: 02/15/08

You're a short way into the diet. I tried the FODMAP diet and found very quick results. However, it worked because it eliminated a wide swath of foods from my diet, only a couple of which caused problems. For me, it was wheat.

Its very possible, perhaps even likely that only a subset of the SCD foods actually cause problems. I encourage you to slowly add variety to your diet. (one new food every few days) This way you can have a more specific understanding of whats wrong.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 165 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19364

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review