All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Oatmeal- I'm sooooo confused!
      #363066 - 01/22/11 09:34 AM
NASCARAFN161

Reged: 01/09/11

I've been having Quaker's Apple and Cinnamon almost every day for breakfast, and/or dinner for about a week. By curiosity, I looked up if it contains any gluten. According to list of recommended Brand-name IBS-healthy foods, Quaker's is on there. Now, I believe there is a gram of soluble fiber in the oatmeal. But, looking it up, I've seen some people say their oat and wheat products and such are mixed with something related to gluten. I hate when this happens, 'cause I don't know if it's bad or not. Ever since last Friday (not yesterday; the Friday before that.), I've been having constant minor IBS-like feelings on and off daily, and the nights ended with ok, but not too bad, pains. Then, this leads to the question if it's stress, or the oatmeal. Again, since my grandpa REALLY thinks my pains/attacks are from stress, I doubt blaming the oatmeal should be blamed. Why do you guys think?
Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Oatmeal- I'm sooooo confused! new
      #363067 - 01/22/11 09:42 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It would be helpful it you listed all of the meals and snacks you have eaten in the past 2-3 days. It will gives us clues other than just oatmeal. Also, it would be helpful if you would try eating regular oatmeal for a while without the added dehydrated apples

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#363069 - 01/22/11 10:58 AM
NASCARAFN161

Well, for the past few days, for lunch I had PB&J. The Jelly is from Welch's, the peanut butter is from Jif, and the bread is wheat and it's from Wegman's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wegmans_Food_Markets). On the 19th (Wednesday), for breakfast, I had Oscar Mayer's Turkey Bacon (which I don't think really bothers me much ), and for dinner, I had the oatmeal with some raisins. Thursday for breakfast, I had some more oatmeal with raisins. Dinner, I had raisin-less oatmeal. During that day, though, I had some goldfish, and a *hopefully* healthy amount of Kit-Kat bars, and neither really seem to bother me much. Friday morning, I had a bowl of Cheerios with Lactaid's Low-Fat milk, and for dinner, oatmeal without raisins. For an after-dinner snack, I ate 2 Kit-Kat bars, instead of 4.

#363070 - 01/22/11 11:09 AM
Syl

As I mentioned in another posting Welch's jams tend to contain high fructose corn syrup which is an IBS trigger. Check the ingredient list for the bread and make sure it doesn't contain high fructose corn syrup too. Some white breads do.

Do you only eat junk food and oatmeal?
Don't you eat normal food - rice, potatoes, chicken, fish, carrots, etc?

One Kit-Kat bar per day would be too many if you are trying to manage IBS symptoms.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Nascarfan new
      #363071 - 01/22/11 12:36 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Have you read anything on this site about eating for IBS?

I don't see anything you have eaten as safe at all.

Peanut butter is seriously high in fat.I can't even eat a smear of it on bread without immediate stomach cramps.
Chocolate bars???As much as I love chocolate myself,IT IS NOT SAFE!Not when you are trying to control your symptoms.
I am not exactly sure what you are doing here.

Do you want to get better?You need to follow a few rules when it comes to eating whether or not it is stress or food related.

To second what Syl said...do you eat regular food?Rice carrots potaoes?
seriously.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#363072 - 01/22/11 01:13 PM
NASCARAFN161

High fructose corn sryup: my aunt taught me that it's the natural sugar found in fruits. Being in stuff in Pop-tarts and jelly, I'm not that surprised. Now, back to the matter: I don't really have bad reactions to H.F.C.S., but you never know. So, I might change to some organic brand or something.

No, my sweet tooth's not what it used to be. The closest thing I have eaten to "junk food" lately lis a Kit-Kat bar every once in a while, and same goes with Goldfish crackers.

Sadly, none of the food you listed was in my tummy anytime recently.

How about one Kit-Kat bar per week? Fine compromise, no?

A side note: the beverage I have arguable mostly have drank in my entire life is Minute Maid Fruit Punch. It's like one of the only things I ever drink. I mean, it usually goes great with a lot of weird things, like Cheerios, Kit-Kat, etc.

Re: Nascarfan new
      #363074 - 01/22/11 01:19 PM
NASCARAFN161

I'm eating what I'm eating for a couple of reasons:

1. My grandpa is dead serious that my pain is caused by stress: I tend to get pains regardless of what I eat sometimes.
2. The things I talked about, especially milk, Chocolate, and peanut butter, never really set me off, which confuses me because in the IBS trigger food list, I don't think it says everyone gets pains whenever they eat anything on the list. Besides, she mentioned coffee and alcohol. My grandpa drinks both of these and never really has pains.

3. If my grandpa is going to buy the Tummy Teas, the hypnotherapy things, or anything else, we might have to wait a while, since I recently discovered this wonderful website. (And... well... you know, the economy. )

Re: Nascarfan new
      #363081 - 01/22/11 06:26 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Well I have never bought any of the products from this site ie tummy teas,peppermint capsules etc...except the cd's.

It doesn't matter what your grandpa thinks is the problem it is your body.Listen to it.

My IBS acts up more when I am stressed BUT that is when I eat the most safe foods because believe it or not..FOOD MATTERS.

Have you read this site?

Do you have access to the simple,easy ingredients that are safe?

White bread?Potatoes?Rice?Carrots?Peas?You haven't answered my questions but made more excuses.

If you want to get better,feel better and live a "normal" life you need to be strict with yourself,stop making excuses for what you do eat and make the changes.

Otherwise,coming here won't help you.No one here can help you unless you help yourself and do it.

Coffee.Bad
Alcohol.Bad.
Maybe grandpa doesn't have IBS or really doesn't care how he feels.
The question is.

Do you?

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#363082 - 01/23/11 04:33 AM
Syl

Your aunt is right the fructose is found in fruit but high fructose corn syrup is not. It is man-made. Also, perhaps you aunt doesn't know it but too much fructose even from healthy fruit may make IBS symptoms much worse. Also, Minute Maid Fruit Punch contains high fructose corn syrup.

You eat many food containing high fructose corn syrup. If you remove those foods from your diet you will likely notice a marked improvement in you symptoms. You and your aunt might find it useful to read The Role of Food and Dietary Intervention in the Irritable Bowel Syndrome

You say you are 14. Do you live with your grandparents? Does anyone prepare meals for you or do you prepare all of your own meals?

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 326 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4148

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review