All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
fat in meals
      #363042 - 01/21/11 04:15 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I heard that it is important to have an adequate amount of fat with each meal for proper digestion so the gallbladder releases bile. Anyone notice this to be true? Sometimes I cannot figure out what casued my stomach ache, adn then when I look back at the day I realize I basically ate 0 grams of fat! I know fat is important for many things but can too littel actually trigger symptoms?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: fat in meals new
      #363043 - 01/21/11 05:54 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Too little fat is unlikely to be a trigger.

The USDA recommends 20 to 35 percent of calories per day should come from fat. Heather recommends 20 to 25% from fat.

How do you manage to get 0 grams of fat if you are eating a regular EFI diet? Fish, chicken, turkey, seafood and even bread has oil and fat in it.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#363045 - 01/21/11 06:18 AM
Allisonmary

Yea, I guess I do have some fat but very little. The fish I buy has no fat in it or like a gram of fat, the bread has like a gram, rice has 0 grams, sweet potatoes/potatoes have 0 grams..
sometimes i feel like i needmore fat. I wonder if its necessary in allowing the gallbladder to digest food properly.

#363046 - 01/21/11 06:27 AM
Syl

Fat/oil in the diet is absolutely necessary. It is a source of energy and it necessary for absorbing vitamins like A, D, E, and K. And it is essential for the production of bile and hormones. Also, it helps prevent hair loss and flaky skin. Finally it slows digestion making you feel full longer. It is really important to get you fat consumption up to at least 20% of calories a day.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#363047 - 01/21/11 06:32 AM
Allisonmary

But how do you manage to do this? any particular foods that would be good besides using oils? I use smart balance light thats about the only higher fat thing I eat.

#363048 - 01/21/11 06:41 AM
Syl

I cook with light olive oil and I add sesame oil, nut oils and flax seed oil to foods to enhance flavor and get some omega-3 and other nutrients. Of course some fish such as salmon are higher in fat too. It is quite easy to get all of the fats/oils you need.

--------------------

#363051 - 01/21/11 12:39 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It is really important to not be FF, especially if you are C. You need a little lube.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#363073 - 01/22/11 01:15 PM
mavera

Reged: 12/28/10
Loc: The Netherlands

I'm having the same dilemma!

I eat mostly oat+ricemilk, some chicken, egg-white, banana, rice, potatoe, carrot.. Off course every meal contains a lot of soluble fiber, where do I put this 20% fat?
I guess the total amount of fat is 5% at most now.

20% fat is pretty much, I think my 'normal' diet contained 25%!? But than I'd eat some red meat, (low fat) cheese, some cookies.. I already know fat is a trigger for me, so now I'm trying to eat as low fat as possible, but I guess this isn't healthy too.

I have an odd question.. is it normal your poo is so lightly coloured with this diet ?

--------------------
PI-IBS-C/A nausea & very bad gastric pain
meds: lansoprazol+macrogol
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

#363077 - 01/22/11 02:16 PM
Syl

The color of a stool is highly dependent on the foods you eat. It is quite possible that the foods you are currently eating make light colored stools.

In North America rice milk has about 2g of fat per cup. Is it not the same in The Netherlands?

You might add a little oil olive to your potatoes or fry the chicken in small amount of it.

If you eat 2000 calories per day and if you want 20% or 400 calories from fat then you need about 45 grams of fat/oil per day. A tablespoon of olive oil has 15 grams of fat. So you need the equivalent of 3 tablespoons of oil over the course of the day from all the foods you eat.

--------------------

#363078 - 01/22/11 03:21 PM
Little Minnie

Here rice milk has 0 fat and 0 protein.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Rice Dream - Original new
      #363080 - 01/22/11 03:43 PM
Syl

Rice Dream Original in the US and in Canada has 2.5g fat per cup.

In the US the ingredients are "Ingredients: filtered water, organic brown rice (partially milled), expeller pressed high oleic safflower oil, sea salt." In Canada the ingredients are "Water, white rice, brown rice, safflower oil and/or sunflower oil and/or canola oil, tricalcium phosphate, natural vanilla flavour, sea salt, vitamins and minerals (vitamin A palmitate, ergocalciferol, cyanocobalamin, riboflavin, zinc gluconate), amylase."

What product are you talking about?

--------------------

#363107 - 01/24/11 03:19 PM
mavera

Reged: 12/28/10
Loc: The Netherlands

Thanx! Never calculated it, it seems a lot less than I thought 20% would be

The ricemilk indeed contains 2g fat per cup here.
I'm trying the wheat now for a few days, so I use a bit of diet spread (don't know the exact translation?) on it, wich also contains omega 3&6.

--------------------
PI-IBS-C/A nausea & very bad gastric pain
meds: lansoprazol+macrogol
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

#363118 - 01/25/11 10:10 AM
Allisonmary

Do you think it is important to get some fat at each meal? Or is it just 20 % for the day?

#363119 - 01/25/11 10:15 AM
Little Minnie

In order to get about 20% for the day you have to have 20% at each meal since most can't digest more than that at one meal.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1520 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5691

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review