All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Always return to safe when symptoms get worse?
      #362981 - 01/18/11 01:49 PM
mavera

Reged: 12/28/10
Loc: The Netherlands

Been on the diet now for over 2 weeks. Also for over a week w/o wheat and fructose - FODMAP approach. A few days I've added 1/2 tsp benefiber 3x daily.
Since a few days I really had the idea my symptoms started to get better (still constipation, fullness, and gastric pain; but less pain and acceptable fullness).
I've added spinach, rice crackers and chicken filet in the last days.

Yesterday the gastric pain got worse again and at night nausea..
At first I thought it would be some stress that triggered it, but today I got my period. I think this also is a trigger for the gastric pain/IBS for me (?)

Today I went back to just oat with ricemilk and banana, at night mashed potatoes, boiled carrots and egg-white.. :?

But is it neccessary to go back to this very restrict diet (which I think is pretty safe for me?) everytime my symptoms worsen??

--------------------
PI-IBS-C/A nausea & very bad gastric pain
meds: lansoprazol+macrogol
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Always return to safe when symptoms get worse? new
      #362982 - 01/18/11 02:10 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The one thing the FODMAP approach does not address is the effect of GI stimulants such as insoluble fiber, alcohol, caffeine, etc.

Spinach and rice crackers are fairly high in insoluble fiber. It might be best to stick with vegetables that are higher in soluble fiber for a while. Can you eat peeled well-cooked courgettes (zucchini)?

Try adding chicken, turkey, fish or seafood for more protein.

IBS symptoms are known to be related to hormonal cycles.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362991 - 01/18/11 08:24 PM
Followmyheart

Reged: 12/15/10
Loc: BC, Canada

Hi there,

I guess it depends on how bad you are feeling. For me, when disaster strikes, I go right back down to basically what you've mentioned. When things are just 'warning' me, I am more careful but I don't cut back to nothing.

I am very careful about veggies and fruits as soon as any symptoms appear, and for myself, spinach would be off the list but I'm more prone to D.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live."~Flora Whittemore

#362993 - 01/19/11 12:06 AM
mavera

You're kidding!?
Rice crackers are also not good It's just white rice and some salt I guess?
I really 'need' something to replace the bread I cannot (?) eat now.

I thought courgette wasn't good because of the fructose, but indeed can't find it in your FODMAP-list.
I don't know if I can eat it (don't really like it). Actually I'm not sure about everything I'm eating now !? Even if it's safe in both lists (that's not much!).
Still having daily symptoms, sometimes a few days less, but that's 'normal' for me too.

Besides that, I'm losing weight, and I'm already too thin. I'm not really sure this is healthy for my body (and mind )...

--------------------
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

#362996 - 01/19/11 03:57 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Many rice crackers are made from brown rice which includes the bran which is IF. Perhaps your rice crackers are pure white rice which would be fine in that case.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362997 - 01/19/11 05:01 AM
gizmo

Reged: 07/28/10

Starting your period could have a big effect on how you're feeling. I know when I start mine it really aggravates my IBS for a few days. Especially when I start with the menstrual cramps.That is a big trigger for me. I hope you feel better soon!

#363006 - 01/19/11 08:43 AM
mavera

Hm, ok!
At the one pack I had, the ingredients actually said 'brown rice', so I bought especially from another brand which said just rice and salt. But now I'm not sure if it's really made from white rice then? I thought that if 'brown' wasn't mentioned I could assume it's white..?
The 'white' crackers look whiter than the 'brown' ones...
Hm..

But, today's better already ! (2 days back to basic). So maybe I can try the rice crackers again and see what happens..
The pain was defenitely less worse than last month!

--------------------

#363020 - 01/19/11 04:57 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

You have to use your best judgment on this one. It really depends on what your gut is telling you, and how fast you have bounced back previously. I tend to go ultra safe if my gut feels volatile and I instinctively don't want to eat anything but like oatmeal.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1533 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2736

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review