All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Pop-Tarts or Toaster Strudels?
      #362895 - 01/13/11 02:21 PM
NASCARAFN161

Reged: 01/09/11

I want to know what are healthier:
I enjoy and LOVE Kellogg's Strawberry Pop-Tarts. I'm not sure if they give me IBS, but I'm just saying. Recently, though, I started to see all these Pillsbury Toaster Strudel commercials. I am a big fan of PB's choco-chip cookies. In my opnion, they are one of the best bakeries. So, sholud I switch to Toaster Strudels? And if so, does anyone know any of th different flavors?
BTW Another reason I wanna switch is I think TD's are healthier.
Thanks for the help, guys!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Pop-Tarts or Toaster Strudels? new
      #362897 - 01/13/11 03:09 PM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

ok so looking at pop tarts i did unfrosted strawberry and they are 25% calories from fat which maybe a little high if your not stable.
the frosted strawberry are at 22% also just a little high depending on tolerances. I can't find any dairy in this, but i recken that the strawberry adds a bit of insoluble fiber, i wouldn't risk it but everyone is different

the toaster strudels are 42% fat! not ibs safe at all! they also have dairy in some flavers
natures path makes an organic version of the pop tarts in several flavors and theirs are closer to 17% more of a possibility for stable folks, but still watch the IF
i would not eat any of these for breakfast, or unless i was way stable and knew i could handle fat and IF

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

#362898 - 01/13/11 03:17 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Dizzy made excellent points. Also, if you look at the list of ingredients for both tarts you will see that one of items in the list is high fructose corn syrup. This is known to be an IBS trigger for many people.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362905 - 01/14/11 05:33 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Just to clarify, foods don't "give us" IBS. We have irritable bowels. Certain foods will trigger your SYMPTOMS, but Pop-tarts don't cause IBS.

That being said, Pop-tarts and toaster strudels are not a healthy breakfast for anyone. It's better to put something totally safe (and healthy) in your gut first thing in the morning to ensure you start the day on the right foot. Many do well with oatmeal. Other cereals like Cheerios, cornflakes, etc. work too. Smoothies are also a good choice.

Pop-tarts, if you ascertain that they are safe for you, should probably be reserved for a treat, as a dessert after a safe meal.

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 186 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8792

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review