All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Cereal questions O.o
      #362870 - 01/11/11 02:45 PM
NASCARAFN161

Reged: 01/09/11

Face it, unless you're allergic to milk, or you haven't tried or haven't tried one of the hundreds of tasty variants before, you most likely like cereal. But I have a few IBS-related questions that concern me and eating it. Firstly, I'd like to state that I've been enjoying the irritable combination for as long as I can remember, and never remember having IBS attacks that were, at least, arguable to be because of cereal. Now, one of my concerns is the milk. I don't think I ever get attacks because of milk, but regardless, you can never be too careful. Anyways, here's the only two types of milk I ever remember having with cereal:
-Giant(R) brand 2% fat milk
-Lactaid 100% milk (fat-free) I've been starting to take Lactaid recently, because that was before I saw the "Trigger Foods" section of this site, and now I'm concerned, yet I never remember having attacks pointed towards cereal.
Another is, of course, cereal. Ever since I figured out that this pain was dangerous, probably about last spring into summer, I've (been told, I think) to switch to Kellogg's Raisin Bran, because of it's epic amount of dietary fiber. Constantly, I altered between having it plain, sprinkling some All-Bran (so I've theorized, The King Of Fiber ) on it, and adding a few Sun-Maid raisins on it. But, now back to the subject. Like milk, I've had it, and, unlike milk, have had a lot of types of it, and, again, like milk, never really remember having attacks after and having to blame it on the cereal.
Before you guys say it, I think Soy might be a good milk sub., because I've heard it's real healthier than milk. ^^
As for cereal, I honestly don't know. I've seen Corn Pops, Apple Jacks, and Cheerios, 3 of my favorites, in Heather's recommended cereals, so yeah.
Now, FINALLY, my one concern is Post's Fruity Pebbles. As I recall, the dietary fiber on the box says 0%. Or, hopefully it's just "Fiber" and possibly means insoluble fiber or something. Anyway, that's it!
Thanks for your replies, guys!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cereal questions O.o new
      #362877 - 01/12/11 09:15 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Some IBS individuals have difficulty with milk products due to either the lactose (a sugar) or proteins in the milk. However, some individuals don't have any problems. Who knows you may be one the lucky people that can tolerate milk products. The EFI diet recommends remove milk products from your diet. It might be wise to remove it from you diet for a couple of weeks and see if there is an improvement in your symptoms. Try using rice, almond or soy milk with your cereal.

The things many physicians don't seem to know is that over the past 20 years or so IBS research has shown that whole grain foods such as All-Bran, Raisin bran, whole wheat bread, etc can make IBS symptoms worse. The effects from insoluble fiber may not be noticeable until the next day. However, again if you can handle a small amount of All-Bran sprinkled on other cereals then go for it.

Post's Fruity Pebbles probably contains a small amount of fiber. When the fiber content is less than certain amount the labeling regulations don't require the company to give the actual amount of fiber a food contains.

Have you tried hot oatmeal cereal with some fruit for breakfast? It is nutritious with lots of protein, soluble and insoluble fiber.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362882 - 01/12/11 12:15 PM
NASCARAFN161

Why, yes! Recently, I have been eating oatmeal a lot! Quaker's Apple & Cinnamon, to be exact! And nowadays, I have it with some Sun-Maid raisnins sprinkled on it to give it exoticness and flavor. (but mostly, because of the fiber ;D) But the thing is, last night, I had a very mild, yet noticeable IBS pain that started when I was about to go to sleep. And also, a few weeks before, at 3 Am, a pain woke me up after I had oatmeal consecutively 3 for 3 days. Is it because I'm having it for dinner? My gave me two tips for eating that might help prevent my attacks, though: chewing thoroughly, and eating slower.

Anyways, in a nutshell, yes I do eat oatmeal. .-.

#362884 - 01/12/11 12:32 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Good move. Eating slowly and chewing well is really helpful.

Unfortunately, some of the instant flavoured oatmeals can be a problem because of some of the things they add to them. Even regular oatmeal is a touchy food for some people.

Although it may take a bit more time you might try making regular oatmeal, add a sprinkle of sugar and some fruit - perhaps some banana or berries first - and see how it goes.

If you are really lazy like me do the following. Put 1/3 cup regular oatmeal, 1 cup of water, 2 tablespoons of berry juice and a pinch of salt in a small crookpot. Turn it on high and go watch tv, do some homework, or something else. An hour later it will be ready. Also, since the oatmeal is cooked very slowly it get a light and puffy texture that is really neat.

Say - have you noticed if any fruits make your symptoms worse? If no, then you might pay attention for a while and see if you notice anything

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362887 - 01/12/11 01:43 PM
NASCARAFN161

Actually, that homemade oatmeal thing doesn't really sound bad. I'll have to try it sometime. Now, by plain oatmeal, you mean Quaker's plain oatmeal?

And, when it comes to fruit:
Of course, the apples in my Oatmeal.
A while ago, about a half a year, I ate grapes almost every day, don't really remember having pains because of those.
Recently, whenever I ate Raisin Bran, like I said, with, of course, raisins, and sometimes extra.
Every day for school, and a lot of times with my breakfast, I had Welch's concord grape jelly and/or jam. I forgot which and when.
Minute Maid Fruit Punch, my one favorite thing to drink, I rarely go a day without drinking it. I'm almost used to the taste by now.
And, I think that does it for fruit.
Don't really remember having fruit-related attacks, except having that oatmeal like I previously said.
Again, thanks for helping.

#362888 - 01/12/11 03:04 PM
Thai

Reged: 10/04/09

I can't do the flavoured instant oatmeal prepackaged ones.
but I do have plain quick oats out of the big canister EVERY morning.
Back when issues were bad I did it with almond milk but am now able to use non fat reg milk!!

--------------------
IBS-D

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 161 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3144

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review