All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Can I eat these anyomre? :(
      #362826 - 01/09/11 03:57 PM
NASCARAFN161

Reged: 01/09/11

Hello everyone! Below is a list of foods I used to love and enjoy, but now I am concerned wether or not I am able to enjoy them anymore. Ever since I realised my IBS attacks, I have been trying my best to avoid all the food I knew was bad. But, some foods I eat right now give me IBS, too. I never ALWAYS happens when I eat these foods, but I want to once again enjoy these foods so I can live a happier healthier life! Please if you have any info, HELP!

-Yogurt
-Milk (especially Giant brand, and Lactaid)
-Cheese related snacks such as Cheetos, Goldfish, and Cheese-It
-French Fries and Cheeseburgers (Burger King & McDonald's
-Ground beef for hoemade cheeseburgers
-Self-specific cheese (Velveeda)
-bread
-pizza (Domino's, and especially since I'll be working for them soon.)
-Kraft Macaroni & Cheese (and just M&C in general)
-High-in-fiber foods such as Raisin Bran, All-Bran, and Quaker's oratmeal

And, plus I have other difficulties. My grandpa says my IBS comes from stress. I DO believe him, but when I was growing up, I ate Some of the food above all the time, and sometimes had pain, and I don't think I ever specifically stressed. I'm just all confused and sad that I don't think I can eat these ever again! Someone please help!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can I eat these anyomre? :( new
      #362843 - 01/10/11 06:19 AM
gizmo

Reged: 07/28/10

Hello!

Unfortunately most of what you listed are IBS triggers. However there are always substitutions that are safe to eat. If you haven't already I recommend reading Heather's book Eating for IBS. Here are some things that you can substitute. In parenthesis and in all caps next to your list I've noted some substitutes that you can try...

-Yogurt (SOY YOGURT)
-Milk (especially Giant brand, and Lactaid) (SOY, RICE OR ALMOND MILK)
-Cheese related snacks such as Cheetos, Goldfish, and Cheese-It (NONE OF THESE WOULD BE SAFE,TRY BAKED CHIPS)
-French Fries and Cheeseburgers (Burger King & McDonald's (ANYTHING FROM BURGER KING OR MCDONALD's LIKE THAT IS A TRIGGER, FOR EATING SOMETHING OUT QUICK TRY SUBWAY OVEN ROASTED CHICKEN WITHOUT CHEESE)
-Ground beef for hoemade cheeseburgers (GROUND TURKEY or GROUND CHICKEN)
-Self-specific cheese (Velveeda)(CHEESE IS A HUGE TRIGGER TRY SOY OR VEGAN CHEESES THE BRAND DAIYA CHEESE IS GOOD)
-bread (BREAD IS FINE)
-pizza (Domino's, and especially since I'll be working for them soon.)(YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN IBS SAFE PIZZA'S HEATHER HAS RECIPES FOR THAT IN HER BOOK)
-Kraft Macaroni & Cheese (and just M&C in general)(THERE ARE IBS SAFE MAC & CHEESE RECIPES ON THIS SITE BUT KRAFT WOULD NOT BE GOOD)
-High-in-fiber foods such as Raisin Bran, All-Bran, and Quaker's oratmeal (OATMEAL IS FINE HOWEVER I WOULD WATCH THE OTHER HIGH-IN-FIBER FOODS THE ONES THAT ARE INSOLUBLE FIBER. GOOD FOODS TO EAT THAT HAVE FIBER BUT IS SOLUBLE FIBER ARE RICE, POTATOES, SWEET POTATOES AND THINGS LIKE THAT. FOR CEREAL I WOULD TRY RICE OR CORN CHEX.

D you currently take a fiber supplement? That is a big help for a lot of people when managing IBS. Heather has a great tummy fiber that works really well. You could also use Citrucel or Benefiber. That makes a big difference for me. It's hard making a big change in our eating habits but when you start feeling better it's really worth it. There are still a lot of good foods that you can eat out there that are safe. In time you won't even miss the bad foods as much. There are a lot of wonderful recipes on this site. In time you'll get to be a pro at adapting your favorite meals to IBS safe meals. Like I said read Heather's book Eating For IBS. It's really helpful on what you should our shouldn't eat, it's a really good tool. Good luck to you!

Thank you sosososo much! new
      #362847 - 01/10/11 02:24 PM
NASCARAFN161

Reged: 01/09/11

I think I'll get the Diet Kit one day. I'm really interested in that eating for IBS book.

Re: Thank you sosososo much! new
      #362857 - 01/11/11 04:36 AM
gizmo

Reged: 07/28/10

You're very welcome! Good luck to you and don't hesitate to ask questions! This site is a good tool.

Re: 2 cents on reading the book new
      #362879 - 01/12/11 10:06 AM
kem

Reged: 06/09/10

I encourage you to read the book! It's true that all the things you mentioned are well known triggers, so basically you were in the process of figuring out the key(s) for yourself. But it's so good to be validated! And also - it's no fun to re-invent the wheel, either. Go ahead and find out all the other useful stuff in Heather's book ('cause there is more) ASAP, instead of doing all the years of work to figure it all out on your own - not to mention possibly not feeling good for however long it would take you to figure the rest of it out!
good luck and hope you feel better soon,
kem (daughter w/ibs-d dx)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1727 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6512

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review