Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
week on the diet, no progression
      #362823 - 01/09/11 01:03 PM
mavera

Reged: 12/28/10
Loc: The Netherlands

Hello!

I've been on the diet now for a week.
First few days of just white bread, pasta, rice, ricemilk and semolina.
After that I slowly added chicken, then banana, yesterday mango and yam, and today carrot and eggwhite..

I don't feel better, still have much symptoms.
My constipation got better, I lowered my laxatives, but I can do that more often. When C changes to more D-like I get other symptoms. I also do have these D-like symptoms now...
Yesterday I quitted the laxatives, but today it seems I'm constipated again.. The gastric pain is not less than usual.
So my symptoms are not really worse, but also absolutely not improved.

What to do with the diet?
Stick to only safe food for a while (a week or so?) or can I start adding some insoluble fiber already?
I'm not really sure what to look for, symptom-wise. My symptoms normally change from period to period..

--------------------
PI-IBS-C/A nausea & very bad gastric pain
meds: lansoprazol+macrogol
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: week on the diet, no progression new
      #362825 - 01/09/11 02:42 PM
rasputin

Reged: 02/15/08

I'd recommend going without wheat/flour products such as bread and pasta for a bit. wheat issues are somewhat common.

its slow and annoying, but you may need to try a few different restrictive diets to find what works for you.

#362832 - 01/09/11 11:50 PM
mavera

So what should I eat then? Just banana and carrot?!!

I've been on a diet w/o complex carbs for 1,5 week. Even felt much worse and dropt 5 pounds (allready a bit underweight).
I ate just veggies and chicken/fish and some fruit then. Not doing that again!

--------------------
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

#362833 - 01/10/11 04:12 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Even though those foods are safe on the EFI diet, they may not be for you. It is taking me years to figure out what I can actually eat. I discovered that I can not have rice milk,and also I am allergic to egg whites. You have to be careful with bananas, especially if they are too ripe, and mangoes have excess fructose which can cause problems too. If you are eating alot of white bread, pasta, and semolina.. that is alot of fructans which may be causing pain too if you have trouble absorbing excess fructose and fructans.
I think once you start feeling better, you will be able to eat more things without trouble. good luc:)

#362837 - 01/10/11 05:08 AM
rasputin

Reged: 02/15/08

depending upon the problem, it can take a couple of weeks to see improvement.

personally, the FODMAP diet was my start to improvement.

yes, restricting your diet sucks but so does being sick. i think there's probably a considerable number of people with IBS who really have food allergies / intolerances. the only way to be certain is to eliminate these foods from your diet. also, it can be more than one.

#362838 - 01/10/11 05:12 AM
mavera

Thanx for your answers.

I'm not really sure what to do next. Eat just rice for a few days; if that doesn't work try potatoes? Is there some sort of a guideline to figure this out?

I don't have bloating or excessive gas. Just mostly gastric pain and nausea/sickness from bowelmovements.
Can I assume now the EFI diet doesn't work for me?

--------------------

#362840 - 01/10/11 06:01 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

If you are IBS-C it can take several weeks or longer to stablise on the EFI diet. It might not be wise to not add too much IF to your diet just yet particularly don't add whole grain cereal products or any raw veggies.

Did you peel the carrots and boil until soft?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362844 - 01/10/11 08:50 AM
mavera

Ok thanx, so just hold on for a while..
I'll try to eat more rice and corn intead of wheat then.. (hate rice) Maybe oatmeal(that's not wheat right?)

Yes, I boiled them soft. But the carrots were only yesterday.

I also don't use the dietary fiber yet, because I can only get metamucil with artificial sweeteners here (netherlands). I tried them a few months ago and it worsened my symptoms (but perhaps I need to slowly build up).

--------------------

#362845 - 01/10/11 09:15 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Some people have trouble with cornmeal however give it a try and see how it goes. Oatmeal is not wheat. I have regular oatmeal for breakfast every morning with 1/2 banana. Careful of instant oatmeal because it can contain additives.

I believe Benefiber made with guar gum and no sweetener is available in the Netherlands. If you find some check the ingredients because they use different ingredients in different countries. In Canada they use inulin which is not IBS friendly while in the US & UK they use wheat dextrin which is IBS friendly. You might also ask your pharmacist about products that contain calcium polycarbophil. It is a synethetic soluble fiber that has been used successfully by some individuals with IBS.

It is a good idea to slowly increase soluble fiber supplements.

Keep us posted on your progress.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362852 - 01/10/11 06:14 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

If you have been taking laxatives it will be a tougher transition I am afraid. Also I am not sure how much D you have since you mentioned that. Once off laxatives that might stop entirely. A good SFS will help even that stuff out.
Only you can tell when to add IF safely. If you don't feel affects of it like spasms and pain then go ahead and start mixing it in.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2193 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4716

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review