All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Diet Questions
      #362752 - 01/03/11 05:29 AM
mavera

Reged: 12/28/10
Loc: The Netherlands

I'm a newbie at the board and with the diet. I read a lot of the articles, but still have a few questions!

-Is there a list of all the safe foods for the first few days?
-What about rice milk, custard (with rice milk), semolina, sugar in the first days?? Or should I just stick with white bread, pasta and rice?

Since I have IBS-C it will probably take longer for constipation and symptoms to ease, so I read.
-So when do I know the 'first'(how many?) days for breaking the cycle are over and try other food/some IF? My symptoms change very much in intensity every day...

I'm a little confused about the contradicting(?) info of breaking the cycle and dealing with IBS-C.

Thank you in advance!

--------------------
PI-IBS-C/A nausea & very bad gastric pain
meds: lansoprazol+macrogol
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Diet Questions new
      #362754 - 01/03/11 06:12 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

Check How to break the cycle. Says "So stick to foods like plain white rice, plain instant oatmeal, cream of rice cereal, dry corn or oat or rice cereals, pasta, white breads or toast, peeled potatoes, etc." for a couple of days and then "Begin to incorporate insoluble fiber foods - carefully! - by blending fresh fruit with soy or rice milk into smoothies, and blending cooked veggies into soups or pasta sauces. Have the smoothie with rice cereal or oatmeal, and the soup with rice or polenta. Try a bit of grilled fish or skinless chicken breast with your pasta/rice. Safe treats are the recipes for vanilla or chocolate puddings, peppermint fudge cake, banana cream pie."

White and brown sugar are safe at any time.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362755 - 01/03/11 09:02 AM
mavera

Ah, I'm sorry I've read peeled Tomatoes (!), so I was wondering what the etc was about (thought perhaps some veggies were already safe from the beginning ).
But still, is rice milk already safe the first days (there is some oil in it I guess)?

And a little bit of sugar (I'm a bit intolerant to sugar). But the safe treats are only safe áfter the first couple of days??

Sorry for all these questions, I don't want to mess up by eating too much, but also don't like to eat only the dry stuff if there's more possible

So I guess I have to start over, I already ate white bread with yam, chicken filet, mushrooms, peeled tomatoes and custard from rice milk.. (pff, that was hard already )

--------------------
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

#362756 - 01/03/11 09:07 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Rice milk should be fine.

The key point is to reduce the amount of insoluble fiber from the diet for a few days and stick with things that are high in soluble fiber.

The meal you ate - except for the tomatoes - should be fairly safe. It is the sort of meal I eat when I start having problems and need to drop back to a basic diet. Give it a try for a while and see how it goes.

Tell us how it goes.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362777 - 01/03/11 06:12 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I think rice milk is fine too.
Basically if you would give it to a baby it is fine. The idea is to coddle the gut with very easy to digest food to settle down spasms. After that new foods can be introduced in the safest way but you must start with the most benign and introduce new foods gradually while always avoiding trigger foods.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#362782 - 01/04/11 01:48 AM
mavera

Thanx!

Up till now (day 3), I don't really see any improvements. Still pain in my stomach regularly through the day (but I'm not sure that symptom belongs to IBS?) and some nausea. I also have had some pain/cramps in my abdomen which I normally don't have (much)??
Not really bad, but there are normally lots of days where it's like this (or even less).

So I'm wondering if I should go even strickter with the diet, or just go on like this..

And does anyone know about semolina being a SF?

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 850 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2301

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review