All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What Happened? I was fine for so long.
      #362729 - 01/01/11 06:42 PM
lolakitty23

Reged: 03/06/05

I've had IBS my whole life, and was diagnosed at 13 years old. For years, I was on various meds (Protonix, Prevacid, Nexium, and OTC's). In college, I went off my meds when I discovered enteric-coated peppermint gels. After college, I discovered exercise and Clean Eating. http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/

I've been without any flare-ups for at least 6 years, and I've not even taken anything for occasional diarrhea. I had regular BM's, and even had nice-looking, and not-too-foul smelling poo. (Yay for me, right?!)

All of that changed about 4 months ago, though. Since late August, I've had alternating constipation (during the week) with diarrhea (on weekends). It's become such a problem, that I am extremely hesitant about going out with friends or social situations when food is involved (and when isn't it?).

At first, I thought lactose was the culprit and cut it out. That didn't help. Next, I realized I was getting 2X the daily recommendation for fiber, and cut back on that. Then, I thought MAYBE my bras are too tight and put too much pressure on my diaphragm (my current IBS issues do coincide with a change in bra styles because of shoulder pain issues).

But WHY??? WHY after 6 years of being fine and even HEALTHIER than I've been in my whole life did I suddenly start having issues again? I admit, I'm a little more stressed at work, but I'm a public high school teacher, so that's not going to change. But even over breaks and vacations, I have these issues....

I just don't know what to do, and I'm starting to revert back to my hermit behavior.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What Happened? I was fine for so long. new
      #362732 - 01/01/11 08:21 PM
Followmyheart

Reged: 12/15/10
Loc: BC, Canada

First of all, don't panic sweetie! You were doing well for 6 years, and you WILL feel better again.

You said that you have been stressed. For me, that is culprit number 1. Of course, as you said, that isn't going to change. However, you CAN start trying something new to work through this.

1. Try yoga, meditation or energy therapy.
2. Try hypnosis. You don't have to go out and buy expensive hypnosis tapes. Google 'hypnobusters'. They have a ton of free full length hypnosis and relaxation/meditations you can download. These have helped me a LOT. No personal information needed, or anything.
3. Try stress-reducing herbs. There is a herb I take consistently called 'Relora.' It has never bothered my IBS, and you notice the effects the same day.
4. Accidophilus - are you taking an accidophilus/probiotic supplement? They work for me so well that my symptoms act up if I forget for 2 days!

Don't worry, you will go back to symptom-free soon! Be sure to start by reducing your stress/anxiety about the situation. The more avoidance behaviors you have, the more your stomach will tighten.

Hang in there! Try the hypnosis....it WILL help!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live."~Flora Whittemore

#362734 - 01/02/11 02:52 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Hi Lola!

I agree with followmyheart. Definitely try not to panic. Panicing and stress are by far the worst things you can do. I know, from experience. In the past I've been too focussed on the "what if I never get better and am in IBS hell forever". But that has only stopped me from finding wellness. So, in moments of panic, take a deep breath and say to yourself that there is a diet that will suit you and your body, but you just need to have patience and it may take some time. You really need to trust and believe that you can get better. Sorry, I don't wish to sound annoying- it's just that this has been my problem too.

Also, the great thing is that you're already eating a clean diet and exercising. They're 2 very helpful things for your IBS so that's a great start. You may just need to tweek your diet by following Heather's advice. I must admit, I was skeptical and half-heartedly tried the diet 4+ years ago. It didn't work for me back then because I was still eating dairy and too much insoluble fibre. I now realise that going dairy-free and focussing on soluble fibre makes SUCH a difference. It's worth a shot. I am by no means stable but I'm defo getting there

So, in summary try to relax and NOT panic, trust that you will find some way of managing your IBS, and give Heather's diet a whirl. You have nothing to lose after all, only wellness to gain (corny/cheesy but true ) xxx

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#362735 - 01/02/11 07:55 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

If you have D on weekends and C during the week it sounds like perhaps there is something different about what you are eating at those times. Perhaps if you posted the typical meals/snacks you eat on the weekends and on weekdays we might be able to help you identify problematic foods.

Are you following Heather's Eating for IBS diet or the Clean Eating diet?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362740 - 01/02/11 09:49 AM
lolakitty23

Reged: 03/06/05

Thank you all for your replies.

For the first reply, here's a rundown of my typical day's meals.
1. I eat a low-glycemic index protein bar for breakfast at 6:30AM when I get to work.
2. Serving of fruit (apple, clementine, or banana) with breakfast or an hour later.
3. 15 minute lunch break is at 10:30AM (again, I teach high school), and I usually have peanut butter and honey on whole wheat bread, whole grain chips and a 1/2 serving of fruit or vegetable.
4. Afternoon snack at 2:30PM of a serving of almonds and a 1/2 serving of fruit or veggie
5. Dinner at 6PM of a serving of whole grain, a serving of protein, and 1-2 servings of veggies (usually a recipe from Cooking Light or Clean Eating).

At one point, I was eating Double Fiber bread, and extra servings of fruits and veggies to get as much fiber as possible, but I was noticing that I got constipation pains. I did some research and counted up my grams of fiber, and I was getting around 50-60g PER DAY! So, I had to cut back. LOL
I also workout doing cardio and weights at least 3 times a week for 30-45 minutes each.

Y'all are right, though...I do need to manage my stress better. Thank you for the tip about the Google search for hypnotherapy options. I'll definitely give those a try. De-stressing is my resolution for 2011!

My doc does not want to put me on medication again because I'd like to try to get pregnant in the next 5-6 months. So, I'm going to try everything else possible before resorting to those pills again.

#362744 - 01/02/11 11:32 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I doubt it is about the food. Probably something more going on. It's hard to say, so we could only guess at what is going on. You may have to really look at your life, to possibly find a clue. I know it took me a very long time to figure out my issues. And I have been perfectly well now for a long time. Good luck!

for lolakitty23 new
      #362745 - 01/02/11 11:40 AM
Gerikat

Hypnotherapy saved me. Along with meditation, and a very good, long look at my life. I eat the same foods I always ate... and some new with no reactions whatsoever.

Hypnotherapy was responsible for my healing, not diet.

#362746 - 01/02/11 11:45 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You might have a look at Heather's Eating for IBS ( EFI ) diet. Whole cereal grains (found in whole grain bread) and raw vegetables are definitely know to exacerbate IBS symptoms.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362748 - 01/02/11 12:27 PM
Gerikat

I see you work out alot. So do I, and that helps tremendously.

I am going to check out the website that you list. Thanks!

#362758 - 01/03/11 10:26 AM
prjm

Reged: 12/20/10

I can't really offer any helpful suggestions like the other responses but perhaps hearing that you're not alone will help. After coming down with something (although never diagnosed with IBS) when I was about 10, I suffered with symptoms of D for a few years. Then, one day the symptoms were gone and I was fine (normal again). I enjoyed my teenage years until one day when I was around 20, just as they came and went before, they were back - seemingly overnight. It's been 15 years.

I've always questioned whether I actually have IBS as I do not have pain. Part of me is convinced I have a bacterial infection as my symptoms are akin to that but it always comes up negative through stool testing and the doctor's I've seen aren't convinced.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1482 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6368

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review