All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Gas?
      #362720 - 12/31/10 09:04 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

Happened to see Dr. Oz last night and he was talking about his 5 top flatulent food groups...anyway...he mentioned starches which includes potatoes. Potatoes are a staple in my diet but now am wondering if this could be what is causing me the terrible gas problems.

I'm also just wondering why it seems most people can simply "pass the gas" but for me it is always trapped, and uncomfortable??? My husband always says, "Oh, just let it go." Ha Ha!.... easy for him to say but doesn't work that way for me

Anyway...as we come upon a new year...here's hoping we all have more good digestive days than bad

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gas? new
      #362727 - 01/01/11 09:56 AM
Followmyheart

Reged: 12/15/10
Loc: BC, Canada

Hi there!

You know, I've never had problems with any starches myself but of course we are all different.

Gas that can't be expelled...that sounds very familiar to me. My stomach bloats up and is so painful!!! Here are the things that keep me going:

1. Gas x - I take 1 before bed time no matter what
2. Fennel - not the tea...If you have gas pain, you will not believe this. Take about 1/2 teaspoon of fennel seeds and chew them up and swallow them. Chew them up very well...my gas pains disapear within 10 minutes, every time. I keep them in my purse and everything lol! A friend of mine told me her naturopath told her to do this, and it honestly works.
3. Exercise - if I don't do some exercise every single day, I get very gassy and uncomfortable!

Hope one of these things will help you! The fennel is my choice by far. If you can't stand the taste of fennel seeds, add about 1 tsp of fennel seeds to water and drink it, but the seeds work much faster.

Bye for now

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live."~Flora Whittemore

#362731 - 01/01/11 07:35 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Sometimes it isn't just trapped gas making you have bloating and distension but also spasms that bloat up areas of your intestines.
When you do have trapped gas and can't go for a walk, like when you are trying to sleep try this- kneel on your bed and then put everything but your butt on the bed so your butt is in the air. That helps get it out. A heating pad will calm down spasms a little but peppermint and fennel work well.
For someone with IBS you are still going to have gas even if you avoid what some people think are gas producing foods. However taking off the peel of things helps alot.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#362768 - 01/03/11 01:06 PM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

Hot strong mint tea helps a great deal with bloating as well.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1567 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1565

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review