All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How To Eat Healthy At Chinese Restaraunts
      #362541 - 12/16/10 05:09 PM
hudlander

Reged: 09/26/10

I know in Heather's book she mentions Moo Shu. That's ok, but usually the cabbage makes problems, and it's low in protein.

Aside from the bland steamed dishes, what are some good tasting dishes which are IBS friendly at Chinese Restarunts?
Stuff like:
-Kung Pao chicken/shrimp
-Hunan
-Mongalian
-Sweet and Sour
-Hot Garlic Sauce

that sort of entrees.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How To Eat Healthy At Chinese Restaraunts new
      #362547 - 12/17/10 04:44 AM
gizmo

Reged: 07/28/10

You know what's funny is when I go to a Chinese restaurant I never watch what I eat and I have never had a problem. I eat a lot of the white rice and I'll eat the sweet and sour chicken and general tso's chicken and I'll eat the egg rolls. All of that except the white rice isn't IBS friendly but for some reason it never makes me sick. It's weird but I'm glad that's the case because because I love Chinese food. Maybe it's because I'm eating a lot of the white rice and I take the tummy fiber before I go. Maybe that has something to do with it. Maybe you can try some different things and see how well you tolerate it. Good luck and I hope you're able to eat some different things!

#362551 - 12/17/10 11:42 AM
jhuggs

Reged: 03/18/09
Loc: Erie, PA

Your safest bet is to stick with a base of white rice and steamed chicken/shrimp and veggies.

--------------------
IBS-D & bloating.

#362566 - 12/18/10 12:10 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Agreed. All those dishes you mentioned are deep fried before being sauced. You can make kungpao at home without frying it but...
The dish that is like a medley of seafood with veggies is always lightly prepared or the one with chicken. They both have that clear glaze over them but contain less oil.
The good thing about Asian restaurants is that you don't have to watch out for dairy most of the time. The bad thing is that these American style Chinese restaurants pander to Americans who need lots of fat and sodium.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#362647 - 12/22/10 04:38 PM
hudlander

So no IBS safe dishes at Chinese restaraunts besides the steamed stuff?

What about sauces...like Hoison or Oyster or Plum Sauce to dip the steamed food in?

#362654 - 12/23/10 09:30 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

Not really an entree (it's usually listed as an appetizer) but I usually get the teriyaki chicken. That, along with the white rice, never gives me any problems. And even though it's an "appetizer" I find the portion they give to be plenty for a meal.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#362662 - 12/23/10 10:01 PM
hudlander

What about stuff like

"Shrimp in light sauce"
"Shrimp in ginger sauce"

Are those ok/low fat?

#362673 - 12/24/10 04:02 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Those sauces should be fine.
American style Chinese restaurants use tons of oil- alot more than what makes you sick cooking your chicken breasts.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#362680 - 12/26/10 07:47 PM
seattleite

Reged: 01/07/10
Loc: Seattle

I love mushu chicken and I always order rice. if im having a good streak with my ibs then i'll order a shrimp or chicken dish and ask for it to be stir fried rather than deep fried (they still probably use a lot of oil but its better than deep fried). dumplings are steamed but usually have pork in them so if theres veggies or shrimp dumplings i would go for those too (although they are more of a brunch thing).

--------------------
IBS-D since 2008, female in her 20s

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1990 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3343

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review