Reged: 04/03/08

Does taking antibiotics trigger IBS?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Antibiotics new
      #362179 - 11/24/10 06:35 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

They probably could trigger IBS-type 'symptoms'; whether you mean actual "verified" IBS, depends on who you ask. Always take probiotics if you take antibiotics, to restore your bowel flora. You may feel better after taking a course of antibiotics, but you could be setting yourself up for trouble down the road, as they allow yeast to proliferate as they kill off the good bacteria along with the bad.

#362194 - 11/25/10 10:29 AM
WRO1

Reged: 04/03/08

Thanks. My IBS was verified after many tests, surgeries (repair ventral hernia and than removal of an ovary), so I have been through it all and still I get the attacks!!

Been put on antibiotics to clear up a yeast infection but it has to be that they are making me have pain spasms, constipated and ridiculous bloating. I am going to the doctor tomorrow just in case though.

#364700 - 05/11/11 12:22 PM
Islandsguy123

Reged: 03/02/11
Loc: Savannah,GA

My doctor gave me about two weeks worth of Xifaxan on my concern about SIBO. I don't really have IBS-D, just horrible gas/cramping/bloating. Could the antibiotics help or make my problem worse? I'm hesitant to take the antibiotics. After alot of negative tests and hopelessness, I'm tempted to take the antibiotic followed by probiotics to see if it helps. Please advise!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1858 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2396

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review