All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help Getting Rid of IBS Symptoms
      #362169 - 11/23/10 10:35 PM
hudlander

Reged: 09/26/10

Hi,

I'm 26. I have had IBS for a decade. The symptoms have dominated and ruined my life. I tried the EFI diet by Heather, it helped to an extent...but still has my suffering.

I am not a nutrition or medical expert. I'd like to know what I can do to get relief.
I mean...GI doctors in my experience are useless.

Who do I see?
-An RD/Dietician?
-A Naturapath?

I tried Green Lake Nutrition (recommended by Heather) but they gave me the SCD diet which some members here have villified.

I'm not an expert, I can't "solve" my IBS myself, I need a professional.
So who do I see and how do I find a good person?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help Getting Rid of IBS Symptoms new
      #362181 - 11/24/10 06:56 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

I would continue to try something different until I found the thing that works for me, if I was not happy with the results I ewas getting so far. If you always do what you've always done, expect the same result.

Granted, you need to give any diet change enough time. Don't expect immediate results. How long have you been on Heather's diet? It has helped many people here.

Don't be hestitant to try something different just because others have not found it to help them. For instance, for me,I find I feel much better if I eliminate grains (bread) with yeast, and processed foods, especially those with high sugar content or chemicals/preservatives (bagels, pretzels, crackers, canned soups, etc). Some people are not bothered by foods like this. Whole, natural foods keep me feeling good. You may wish to go to a SCD forum for suggestions instead of posting here. Good luck with whatever you try

#362187 - 11/24/10 11:57 PM
hudlander

I was told I had candida, not IBS, because IBS is just a "dumping ground" for people for with functional disorders and that I needed to starve the yeast.

#362216 - 11/26/10 08:30 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Have you had a test to check yeast overgrowth? I know a stool test checks that- not sure about other tests. Most people probably have more than they should have but IBS symptoms should be beyond that.
There is a very definitive body of symptoms in IBS. However, it is the gut disfunction that diagnosed after the others have been ruled out. After crohns, colitis and celiac have been ruled out, food allergies would be the next test and if all those are negative and the specific IBS symptoms are there- to a TEE, then an IBS diagnosis is given. After you have a reliable diagnosis the doctor can prescribe a very limited amount of meds if you need them but beyond that there is nothing a GI doctor can do for IBS. Sorry to say. At that point doing a few elimination diet tests are your best bet to see if you are eating in a way that is making you worse.
I did an elimination diet a few years ago that was fine for IBS and for checking for food insensitivities. I ate oats, fruits, nuts, lean meats, rice and vegetables for 2 weeks- no sugar, no flour/wheat, no soy, no additives. I used a little stevia in the oatmeal. You can go IBS safe and 'carb free' if you eat a lot of SF fruits and veggies. You can easily go sugar free.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#362246 - 11/28/10 02:19 PM
hudlander

I have bloating, gas, constipation, and occasional D.
I have lactose intolerance, SIBO, amoung other things.

So the elimination diet worked for you?
Did you on the diet have gluten free grains/bread or not even those?

#362251 - 11/28/10 05:50 PM
Little Minnie

I have done various eliminations. The most restrictive one was just what I had said and nothing else. I have done others just avoiding one thing at a time.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#362274 - 11/29/10 08:16 PM
hudlander

I don't know how you can do an elimination diet that is both safe IBS and low on sugar.
You said use a lot of SF fruits (instead of grains), but fruit has a lot of sugar.

Also, oats/nuts I can not handle, nuts have too much fat and oats exerbatte symptoms.

#362294 - 11/30/10 05:11 PM
Little Minnie

I don't consider eating fruit to be eating sugar. Sure fruits and veg are technically carbs but not in this context.
The only thing you couldn't do within the EFI format is go all dairy or all red meat, otherwise there are so many possibilities that are still safe- low in fat, and SF with IF.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2267 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2742

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review