All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How do i handle an upcoming trip?
      #362157 - 11/23/10 05:55 AM
jason61

Reged: 04/12/07

I have been dating a girl for 4 months and we are planning a 5 day ski trip out west in Jan. She knows I have a gluten allergy but i havent gotten into all my food/digestive/bowel issues. I need to live my life but im terrified that this trip is gonna really mess me up and all my issues may come to the surface and scare her away...shes a great girl but i know that she will have doubts about me if she witnesses what i have to live with day in and day out

RIght now i can live comfortable as long as I have control of where i eat & what I eat and when I eat but this trip will completely throw everything out of balance.

I have difficulty going to the bathroom when my schedule gets thrown off and if i am around people..I can only go when I am on a specific regimen that involves waking up, eating and relaxing and being by myself and taking specific supplements at specific times. i will have very little control over this if i take the trip - i fear i will get severely constipated and my fissure will split open and cause extreme pain and discomfort. Im also worried about lack of available safe food and loosing weight & having no energy to ski. I work in sales and sometimnes on the road i need to get an enema to make myself go, otherwise i will be backed up for days...i cant afford to have this on a trip with a girl..i will be miserable.

ANyway, i can go on but you get the general jist. I could really use some advice. i am even thinking about cancelling this trip cause it may be more stressful than fun. it was originally just gonna be me going on my own to see friends but since i started the relationship she is now part of my life and i want to include her.

im very stressed so please go easy on me

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How do i handle an upcoming trip? new
      #362158 - 11/23/10 06:00 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The best thing to do to come clean with your girl friend about your IBS, minimize your stress and enjoy your holiday even with dietary restrictions, etc. Relationships built on secrets are generally doomed to failure.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

totally agree with syl, new
      #362159 - 11/23/10 06:06 AM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

you have to let her know that you have Ibs, be prepared to answer questions, but talk about it, I have been fortunate and never had anyone I've have dated not understand, and I bet it will be the same for you, as far as the trip goes, bring lots of your own super safe snacks, and see if your room would have a microwave, or if you could have access to one, then bring your safest stuff. you can get packs of precooked rice that you just microwave, or potatoes all wrapped in plastic and designed to microwave as well. call the place your staying and explain to them your dietary issues if there is a restaurant at the lodge or hotel, bring breakfast stuff like bagels, oatmeal dry rice cereal, things like that. try to eat as closely as you eat at home as possible, but even safer, this trip can be a good experience

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

Re: totally agree with syl, new
      #362160 - 11/23/10 06:32 AM
jason61

Reged: 04/12/07

Cant eat bagels and oatmeal

#362161 - 11/23/10 06:45 AM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

I've never had anyone not understand esp since you can be stable and lead a full/normal life with IBS provided you eat the right way!

I have a really straightforward and open personality, perhaps overtly so sometimes, so have found it easier to talk about IBS with either boyfriends/friends, on the other hand I am kinda obsessive about food and weight, which you will not be I expect, nonetheless no relationship has ever suffered on account of this.

I say take it in you stride and be honest with her, a lot depends on your own attitude towards IBS as well, whether you think of IBS as a debilitating condition or take the more pragmatic approach of 'everyone has some kind of health problem (they really really do, every single person I have ever known has some sort of ailment), IBS can be bad but there are worse things in life', such a positive/realistic mindset in itself cannot alienate anyone, esp not someone you've been dating 4 months!

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

#362162 - 11/23/10 06:57 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I know exactly what you mean..I absolutely hate spending the night away from home becasue of my IBS. However, for some reason, the worst part about taking trips is the anxiety leading up to it. I find that my stomach actually feels so much better when I go away. Maybe because Im extra careful with what I eat, or Im thinking about it less. When I went to disney with my boyfriend I told him before that I have to go to the bathroom in the mornings otherwise I dont feel well, but I have trouble going with people around..so I made him leave! I told him to go by the pool for a while and I would meet up with him. He was fine with it and it made me feel better..and my stomach wasn't too bad anyways! You will prob have a great time and be glad you went. If your girlfriend isn't understanding then that is her problem and maybe she's not the best to be with anyways.

Re: totally agree with syl, new
      #362163 - 11/23/10 07:44 AM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

fair,what about cream of rice cereal? gluten free bread, whatever is stable breakfast for you, for me if I'm safe at breakfast I can get more creative later

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1445 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2594

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review