All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Bread and whole grains??
      #362087 - 11/17/10 03:45 PM
buttons07

Reged: 11/11/10

Hello everyone,
I just have a question regarding bread and wholegrains. I am IBS-A with bloating and distension and am following the FODMAP diet with a dietician.This has helped a lot!
She has recommended a spelt bread rather than a wheat based one yet it is labelled wholemmeal and contains wholemeal spelt flour? Does anyone know if this is OK?
Also I have been told to eat things like brown rice, quinoa etc for fibre as I tend more towards the C but sure about this either!
Any help greatly appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bread and whole grains?? new
      #362091 - 11/18/10 03:09 AM
mradams1

Reged: 07/12/10

I know that spelt is recommended by some dieticians who prescribe the FODMAP diet, and indeed in the most recent article by Gibson et al, they suggest spelt as an alternative to wheat. However, spelt is related to wheat, so I believe that it still contains fructans and fibres that can be problematic. Whole-grains can be problematic for ibs, you can read what Heather has to say about whole-grains (and other insoluble fibres), here, http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber2.asp.

If you want to try spelt bread you can buy white spelt bread, with the outer husk of the grain removed during processing, or you could buy white spelt bread flour and make your own. Quinoa is a soluble fibre and should be safe, however, brown-rice has more insoluble fibre than soluble fibre and is problematic for some people with ibs.

--------------------
IBS A. Managing my symptoms with the EFI/FODMAP diet and probiotics.

#362092 - 11/18/10 07:08 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

This article abstract suggests that spelt contains more of certain kinds of fructans than are generally found in wheat.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

To mradams1 new
      #362116 - 11/19/10 04:06 PM
buttons07

Thank you for your reply,
I could not click on the link you sent, it said the page was unavailable.
I did notice that you are also following the FODMAP diet plus Heather's ideas.
Would you mind giving me an idea of a daily meal plan for you so I can compare it to what I am eating? Also are you IBS-C, D or A?
Also, how do you cope when eating out or at a friend's house?
I think I will try and find a white spelt bread instead of the wholegrain.
Thank you

#362118 - 11/19/10 08:05 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

I have problems any time I eat bread with yeast; get gassy and bloated. (What does yeast do to bread?)Maybe try yeast-free/wheat-free bread? Yeast-free millet bread, or any other, works well for me.

#362122 - 11/20/10 04:04 AM
Syl

Yeast ferments sugar in the dough producing tiny bubbles of carbon dioxide gas that causes the dough to rise. When the dough is baked the yeast are killed and your body digest them as a protein source. Yeast-free bread rises using other agents such as baking soda to produce the carbon dioxide gas bubbles making the dough rise.

Dough rises because of the gas produced by an agent such as yeast or baking soda. The tiny bubbles of gas are broken when you chew and a very tiny amount of the gas ends up in your stomach. The gas from rising bread is unlikely to cause any GI gas. It is possible that the indigestible fiber in wheat (such as fructans) can produce gas when fermented in the colon. This is a known GI problem.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#362130 - 11/20/10 02:27 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Interestingly, for me when I eat bread with yeast, I bloat and get gassy, pretty well every time. I can even tell when I've mistakingly eaten yeast or yeast extract as I get those symptoms, and sure enough, I check the label, and there it is.

If one had a fungus/yeast problem (from taking antibiotics, birth control pills, breathing in mold spores from water-damaged/moldy or very old buildings, or eating mycotoxins in foods: wheat/corn/peanuts), then eating sugars in form of bread or other carbs would feed the fungus and cause bloating/gas.

I found these statements online. Are any legit?

Good bacteria live in the gut alongside many other types of bacteria and yeasts that are benign in low concentrations but when allowed to multiply can encourage bloating and poor digestion.
If there are low levels of certain bacteria in the gut, food can sometimes not be fully broken down and digested, causing it to ferment and release gas, causing discomfort.
Yeasts that live in the gut thrive in the presence of refined sugars, fermented products such as alcohol and food containing yeast - notably bread. Yeasts also release gas which, in turn, causes bloating.
This may explain why, when people avoid wheat, they inevitably consume less yeast and in turn feel better. This leads them to mistakenly believe they have a wheat intolerance when, in fact, it was the yeast causing the problem.

The most effective way to give yourself a flat, happy tummy is to avoid all of the offending foods for two unbroken weeks while taking a course of beneficial bacteria to help rebalance the flora that live in the gut.
That means no alcohol, added sugar, yeasty bread or even fruit, as high levels of fructose (naturally occurring fruit sugars) should be avoided, too.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1086106/The-Food-Doctor-How-beat-bloat.html#ixzz15rdTDERs

#362132 - 11/20/10 08:13 PM
buttons07

Thanks for your reply,
The thing is, the bread I have been eating is yeast free! So I'm thinking it's more the grain component rather than a yeast issue.

#362135 - 11/21/10 03:04 AM
Syl

The statement is interesting but it is highly questionable. For example, in order for yeast from bread to live in the GI tract the yeast cells would have to be alive to grow. Yeast cells die when bread is baked so there isn't any live yeast that can grow in the GI tract.

It is important to know that are more than 1500 know yeast species. It is estimated that this is less than 1% of all yeasts. Yeasts are found everywhere even in the air. In fact, airborne yeast were used to make bread until commerical yeast were produced. You inhale yeast cells with every breath you take. Only some yeast species are a health hazard.

Another thing to remember is most refined sugars are digested in the stomach and carried into the bloood stream so there would be very little sugar that gets to the colon to feed the yeast.

--------------------

#362139 - 11/21/10 03:33 PM
kem

Reged: 06/09/10

Quote:

in order for yeast from bread to live in the GI tract the yeast cells would have to be alive

No, no, I believe in the 'theory' mentioned in the previous post, it's not the yeast from the bread that they're talking about, tho'.
The concept is that ingested sugars and simple carbs become food for problematic yeast overgrowth that already exists in the gut. (This is not at all the same as the yeast used in breadmaking, of course.) Different types of troublesome yeasts in the gut also live on sugars and can also produce gases and are thought to be a possible source of bloating for some people. The method described of refraining from ingesting sugars, grains and as much carbs as possible for a 2 week period is regularly used to verify if one has this type of internal or systemic yeast problem. [A person with a yeast problem will generally feel temporarily worse (flu-like), but then markedly better by the end of the 2 weeks.] I do imagine that anyone with ibs would need to be careful in trying that, if he/she normally relies on carb-rich foods to help supply their SF.

Quote:

Another thing to remember is most refined sugars are digested in the stomach and carried into the bloood stream so there would be very little sugar that gets to the colon to feed the yeast.

Unless there's something going on to make digestion less than optimal . . . That's exactly what that concept is looking at.
Does this help clear anything up?
kem (daughter w/ibs-d dx)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 365 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7549

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review