All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Serious Concern About High GI Index Carbs on Diet
      #362005 - 11/11/10 10:15 PM
hudlander

Reged: 09/26/10

I'm concerned that with my diet (The Specific Carb) consisting of protein+carbs (many of them simple high glycemic index...no grains), this is only going to cause me to feel hungry all the time.

-Whole grains and nuts/fats are lower on the GI index which make you less hungry.
-I've noticed for years having a lot of foods high on the GI Index makes me constantly hungry which leads me to overeating/binge eating/feeling the munchies which can cause all kinds of problems.
-I can be undiscplined, prone to eat anything (good or bad) because I'm just hungry.

So what happens? Again...having canned fruit, frozen fruit, fruit in general all are High GI Index foods...which make you hungry.
The more hungry...the more likely one is too binge to feed the taste buds and the diet gets destroyed.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Specific Carbohydrate Diet new
      #362010 - 11/12/10 03:46 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You are not likely to get many responses to your question about GI index and the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) here. This board focuses on Heather's EFI diet which is not at all related to the SCD. It might be better to find a SCD board and ask the question there.

If you are interested in how the EFI diet relates to high and low carb diets like the Atkins diet have a look at Heather sticky post

You may find this article on the American Institute for Cancer Research web site Glycemic Index Versus Calorie Control of interest.

One comment. You say "Whole grains and nuts/fats are lower on the GI index which make you less hungry." which is true for healthy individuals. However, they are known to be strong GI stimulants and exacerbate IBS symptoms. Caution should be used when including these in a diet to manage IBS symptoms.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Serious Concern About High GI Index Carbs on Diet new
      #362017 - 11/12/10 07:27 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Are you on the SCD now? For how long? I found after giving up the carbs, I eventually lost the hunger pangs, and had to remind myself to eat.

I agree partly new
      #362031 - 11/14/10 03:21 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

First, eating often in small amounts is good for IBS but I can understand the fear of being hungry all the time. I have that and hate it very much. When I started the diet I lost almost 15 pounds from cutting out all unsafe food and eating low in fat 100% of the time. Since then I have gained weight and am hungry all the time.
I don't want to have to eat so much bread, cereals, bananas, potatoes and that kind of thing but in switching to a different diet for weight loss like South Beach for instance, my IBS would be even worse. Sometimes you have to choose the lesser of two evils.
However, when you really want to eat safe for IBS and reduce simple carbs you can do it. One thing is to use your SFS as a SF food source- eating something IF after the SFS (if large enough). SF veggies and fruits can be eaten instead of SF carbs/grains. Also some can handle slightly better carbs like brown rice, quinoa and other grains and the better pastas out now, but some cannot. Anyone with IBS can cut out sugar.
I'm not sure about the high GI index in fruit. I thought because of its fiber it has a lower GI index.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Serious Concern About High GI Index Carbs on Diet new
      #362151 - 11/22/10 10:09 AM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/glycemic-index

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

Looks like an excellent discussion -nt- new
      #362153 - 11/22/10 02:00 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 496 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2462

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review