All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Sucrose (Sugar: the Bitter Truth lecture)
      #362003 - 11/11/10 08:57 PM
mcem222

Reged: 12/21/08

Hey guys

The other day I watched this lecture online, I'll link to the 90 minute video and a user who summarized the video in 11 minutes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chXCvduiAbs

So, basically, the point of the video is that sugar is the main cause of many problems which have been on the rise, like hypertension, obesity, diabetes, and heart disease.

There is a long biochemical discussion on how glucose is metabolized differently than fructose, and basically that fructose bombards the liver and as a result produces increased appetite, insulin resistance, hypertension, and other bad effects. Both high fructose corn syrup and sucrose are roughly half fructose and half glucose (the lecturer makes basically no distinction), and the isolation of sugar in drinks and foods as well as the removal of fiber have magnified these effects

That's the basic idea of the video. What do you guys think of that theory? I'm curious to what Syl and other individuals who have problems with excessive fructose would have to say. One difference, as I understand from Syl, is that foods where fructose > glucose can be problematic for IBS, whereas foods where fructose = glucose not as much.

I still plan to reduce the amount of sugar in my diet. I have already begun doing this, and it's seemed to have had a positive effect

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sucrose (Sugar: the Bitter Truth lecture) new
      #362011 - 11/12/10 04:32 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The biochemistry and physiology given by both presenters is excellent. The point that was missed as far as I can tell is that excess fructose from foods that are higher in fructose than glucose is absorbed differently that foods with equal amounts. Generally speaking, both presenters are aiming their talk at the high fructose corn syrup industry. They make valid points. As for sucrose it has long be stated by health professionals that refined sugar should be consumed in moderation

PS - while sucrose has equal amounts of fructose and glucose high fructose corn syrup has 30% glucose and 42% fructose. There is even a high fructose corn syrup that has 7% glucose and 72% fructose. I wish these presenters would get their facts straight and make a proper distinction between sucrose and HFCS

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362032 - 11/14/10 03:24 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Yeah Syl, just like in that newspaper article I read that said plain sugar is the same makeup of glucose/fructose as HFCS.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#362044 - 11/15/10 06:00 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Statements like that baffle me. I can understand a reporter making that sort of error but I cannot understand a health professional making that error

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2028 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2134

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review