All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS-A and Gluten Intolerant -- HELP!!!!
      #361968 - 11/09/10 12:26 PM
JanetP923

Reged: 11/06/10
Loc: Minnesota

In the past few months I have lost 25 pounds and counting. I really need help in finding foods that cover both the IBS and the gluten intolerant issues. Does anyone have any advice or dealing with the same situation?

Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS-A and Gluten Intolerant -- HELP!!!! new
      #361969 - 11/09/10 12:56 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

What gluten-free grains are you eating? There are quite a few options in the stores these days: quinoa, corn, buckwheat (which is not wheat), rice, millet, amaranth, teff. I think the EFI diet is doable if you just sub the gluten-free grains for the wheat-based products. What are you eating these days, what's a typical day for you?

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Re: IBS bloating-- HELP!!!! new
      #361976 - 11/09/10 04:36 PM
cmnotar

Reged: 11/09/10

Hello, I've never posted a message before but I have a question for anyone willing to help! I got diagnosed with acid reflux, IBS, and lactose intolerance last year. I have been having stomach issues for quite a long time and i thought since I found out I was allergic to all dairy that I would be okay once I avoided it. I now don't have any dairy (milk, cheese, chocolate, cookies, cakes, muffins, coffee, etc.). Even though I have given these things up I am still bloated everyday! I have probably about 15grams of the Acacia tummy fiber everyday and I drink the fennel tea as much as possible. I go back and forth from trying to avoid bread and then try to avoid a meat and see to figure out which way of eating works better for me, but nothing seems to be working. I can have a bowl of cereal with soy milk in the morning and a small salad or soup for dinner and still be SOO bloated to the point where it looks like I am 4 months pregnant. I'm so tired of dealing with this. If anyone can help me even just a little that would be great!!! THANK YOU !

#361978 - 11/09/10 05:35 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Have you tried replacing the soy milk with almond milk or rice milk? Soy is a bean, so it's gassy for a lot of people. What else are you eating -there are so many foods that can produce gas.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#361979 - 11/09/10 05:41 PM
cmnotar

Reged: 11/09/10

Well I used to have a lot of whole grains but then I read that it could be more helpful to eat sourdough or french bread so I stopped eating the wheat. I also try not to have a lot of gluten. So I have the Barbaras gluten free rice cereal, I have soup, fruits like plums and apples, tortilla chips, egg whites, a lot of water, turkey burgers, pasta sometimes, tuna, and I take a calcium/magnesium supplement. Im not sure what is causing the bloating, but it is getting worse and I usually am constipated but now it's constipation or diarrhea . Thanks for getting back so quickly!

#361980 - 11/10/10 02:47 AM
mradams1

Reged: 07/12/10

Hi,

Have you tried the FODMAP diet? http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml I've found combining the principles of the EFI, with the above diet, has significantly reduced my IBS symptoms.

--------------------
IBS A. Managing my symptoms with the EFI/FODMAP diet and probiotics.

#361988 - 11/10/10 11:41 AM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

i can only tell you what has helped me- i went from nearly every day looking 5 months pregnant to no bloat at all! i haven't been bloated for 2 months! you are taking acacia, that helped me tremendously, but maybe you need a different fiber supplement.
the IBS hypnosis helped me more than anything. my IBS is VERY stress/emotion driven and getting a hold on my emotions helped keep my bloat/gas under much better control. the program is on this site, and is TOTALLY WORTH the cost. good luck!

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#362082 - 11/17/10 07:10 AM
JanetP923

Hi Renee, Thank you for your response. A typical day looks like this: Peppermint tea and a banana in the morning. Four ounces of unsweetened apple sauce 2/3 hours after that. An ounce or two of chicken breast. A couple hours after lunch I will have half of a baked tater or half of a sweet tater or some other soluble fiber. Dinner is usually an ounce or two of chicken and small amount of veggies -- sometimes just soluble and sometimes I add in an insoluble too. Or cilantro and lime rice with beans, corn, tomato salsa. (For veggies I alternate between potato, sweet potato, beets, carrots and toss in some insoluble like peas, corn, green beans, brown beans. I will also eat refriend beans. I eat white rice.) I am also supplementing my diet with Glucose Control Boost. I am trying increase my calorie intake. I am not able to eat much at one time -- which is good -- but I am still loosing weight. I went out last week and bought a smaller sized dress pants and this week they are already too big.

What is the EFI diet. lol

Thanks.

#362095 - 11/18/10 11:21 AM
Sheeda

Reged: 05/04/08
Loc: Barbados

hi
i also have both ibs and gluten intolerance. I've been finding it hard to find stuff to eat as well but this is what i have been eating...

breakfast- oatmeal made from gluten free oats by Bob's Red Mill, Chex, breakfast shakes (non dairy milk, frozen banana, gluten free oats, maple syrup). I've also seen a gluten free pancake mix by Bob's Red Mill but I've never tried it

snacks- rice crackers, cupcakes made with Betty Crocker yellow cake mix, gluten free cookies by Dr. Lucy, Silk Soy Yogurt

lunch- rice, rice noodles, potatoes, grilled fish/ chicken

check your local health food store for stuff that is gluten free, dairy free, low fat and low fibre. Hope that was helpful

--------------------
“Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow.”- Mary Anne Radmacher

#362173 - 11/24/10 06:47 AM
JanetP923

Thank you very much for your response. You have given me some hope. I am going to try the gf foods you are eating.
Please feel free to keep in touch. It is nice to find someone that is gluten-free as well as having IBS.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Janet

#362389 - 12/07/10 08:04 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

Just wanted to share that I also do not eat gluten or dairy and have also lost alot of weight....I know what it feels to panic about the weight thing, but, try not to focus on it too much. (I just recently went through having to buy new clothes as well and frankly, everything in the store was too big!!)

When things go really "wrong" for me, I go on a diet of rice, gluten free bread (Udi's is the best), and plain white potatoes....I add to that some chicken or turkey breast that is grilled or baked or I even put it in the crock pot. I will do this until I feel I am "steady" again and then gradually add in some vegetables or fruit. It's also best to avoid alot of sugary things like cookies, desserts etc...I hope this helps...my heart felt for you when I just read the post...I know how it feels but, it will be ok.

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3307 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5793

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review