All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
colonoscopy...
      #361791 - 10/31/10 11:07 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

so I'm having my 3rd this week...yippee. I just read through the instructions and noticed something new-- It says to stop all fiber supplements. I never had to do that before, and it was supposed to be done one week before the test. Did anyone here have to stop them? I'm nervous that I'll get really C over the next few days--
what do you all think?

--------------------
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: colonoscopy... new
      #361792 - 10/31/10 11:16 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm not clear how you'll be C if you are prepping for a colonoscopy - don't you have to take something that'll make you running to the toilet all day, to clean you out first?

I think that stopping fiber makes sense - the idea is to empty out the colon completely so they can get a proper look in there.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#361794 - 10/31/10 11:31 AM
Aly

I meant I'd be C for the days leading up to it--then, obviously, when I do the prep, there would be more to come out. I want to make it as easy as possible!
I guess it makes sense to stop the benefiber, but it makes me nervous that i'll have stomach cramps the next few days since the benefiber really helps keep me regular...

--------------------
IBS-A

prep has begun...UPDATE new
      #361860 - 11/03/10 10:15 AM
Aly

i just took 4 dulcolax... in a few hours I am drinking the miralax prep.
i'm not really looking forward to it this time around, but know it has to be done...
i'll update later-- thought it might be good to start a thread about the actual prep procedure for people-- almost like a 'live blogging' kind of thing...haha, don't worry, it won't be too TMI:)
aly
so I have downed 4.5 glasses so far. the miralax has a 'no-taste' kind of taste to me-- like plastic or powder. blech. I added some koolaid and sugar to each glass and am doing well so far.
actually, haven't had any bad nausea yet--but it's only half done.
i have candles, soft music, lots of reading all waiting for me in the bathroom...I feel some gurgling, so I expect things to kick in soon!
wish me luck!!

--------------------
IBS-A

Edited by Aly (11/03/10 01:57 PM)

#361861 - 11/03/10 10:58 AM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Aly
I've been MIA for some time, but why in the world are you having 3 colonoscopies in one week? Bless your heart!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#361862 - 11/03/10 11:03 AM
Aly

haha, no 3rd in my life. i might have written that wrong... 3 in one week?! thats a nightmare! although having my 3rd at 27 years old isnt much fun;)
how are YOU??

--------------------
IBS-A

DONE new
      #361882 - 11/04/10 11:53 AM
Aly

I made it through! It was a bit rough last night and this morning. While I did drink ALL of my prep, I didn't get cleaned out until this morning--AT the hospital. It was a rough ride to get there followed by bad cramping and going quite a few more times.
All in all though, I did it! Colonoscopy itself, as you all know, is the easiest part. They have me less meds in hopes of me not getting sick afterwards, so I was quite aware of it, but did OK.
Doc saw the same stuff as last time--colitis-looking area in the sigmoid colon. Biopsies were taken, so we'll know in a few days. The biopsies were negative last time, so I doubt it's colitis. Poor doc doesn't know what it is, but feels OK with it since we know its nothing terrible.
I can't speak enough about the benefit of a good doc. I am SO glad I found her--she's thorough, let's me speak my mind, and even let the nurses try an aromatherapy thing to prevent nausea!
Ok, back to rest today.... work tomorrow!

--------------------
IBS-A

Re: prep has begun...UPDATE new
      #363929 - 03/08/11 03:09 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Aly, Im having my first colonoscopy in a few days. I was jsut wondering if you also had the ct endography with the barium? I had one andit came back negative for colitis but I was wondering if it is still possible that the colonoscopy will show colitis/chrons?

Re: prep has begun...UPDATE new
      #363930 - 03/08/11 04:48 AM
Aly

Good morning!
I did have the CT a few years ago and everything was always clear. I'm glad I went through the colonoscopy b/c they were able to visualize things much better. My doc saw some colitis-like areas, yet the biopsies came back negative. However, since she actually SAW it with her own eyes, she completely believes my symptoms and is really helping me. I've been lucky to avoid meds and try to control this through diet.
So, long story short, yes--the colonoscopy can give a much better look. Plus, the biiopsies they take will get analyzed in a lab. Good luck- it really isn't as bad as you'd think. I've had 3 in my life (I'm 27. not fun) and every time I remember how simple it is. Pamper yourself on prep day-- candles, music, etc... the prep really can make you tired and cold. I lived in my warm robe! Let us know how it goes.

--------------------
IBS-A

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1663 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5054

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review