All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
2 yr old son recently diagnosed with IBS
      #361688 - 10/25/10 01:37 PM
tripletmom

Reged: 10/25/10

Hello,

My 2 year old son (will be 3 next week) has suffered from chronic diarrhea and abdominal pain for a year now. We have now seen our pediatrician, two pediatric GIs, a holistic chiropracter and an allergist, and our pediatrician now believes he has IBS.

I will try to keep this as short as possible. Our pediatrician did blood work and stool samples to rule out bacterial infections and parasites. Our GI has done what we believe to be a thorough work-up of blood work, stool samples, and upper and lower scopes. She has ruled out celiac, colon cancer, chron's, UC, cystic fibrosis, and did blood work to check for IgE antibodies to the ten mot common food allergies. The only things she found were a "mild" egg allergy and biopsy showed lymphocytic colitis. GI says lymphocytic colitis in a 2 year old is very unusual, and could be caused by allergic colitis, the result of a recent infection (none know to us), could be a very early sign of UC or chrons, or could be idiopathic. An allergist did skin testing of 86 foods and found no allergies, including egg. Our holistic chiro did muscle testing for food allergies/intolerance and told us to take him off of all dairy, eggs, and chicken. We have followed this advice since June 2010 with some improvement (but not relief) from his symptoms. He was waking in the middle of the night, every single night, with a bad diarrhea diaper and waking first thing in the morning with another diarrhea diaper. I had to change his clothes immediately every morning because he had diarrhea all over. Both of these issues are greatly improved. He is sleeping through the night again, but he still has anywhere from 2-6 stools/day that go from soft/loose to very watery, and he still complains his bottom hurts, usually prior to having a BM. His stools also vary greatly in color, texture, smell, and some have large amounts of undigested food, others appear more digested.

I am still not sure we have 100% ruled out food allergies or intolerances. I am reading that with a chronic reaction like diarrhea, we need blood work to test for IgA and IgG antibodies, is this true?

Is there anything else we should be considering or ruling out?

I am also concerned about the lymphcytic colitis, after reading IBS The First Year, as this is clearly a physical finding and my understanding is with IBS there are no physical abnormalities or issues, it is "just" a functional problem. Is it possible the lyphocytic colitis is unrelated, and he as both colitis and IBS? Could they be related? Can IBS w/ chronic diarrhea cause colitis? Or would this lead you to believe it is something other than IBS?

We have been following the Eating for IBS diet and adding solufiber to his diet for about 2 weeks now, and I think we are seeing some minimal improvement, but he is still generally having 2-3 stools (some just very soft/losse, some running down his legs diarrhea) per day.

In addition to the diarrhea and pain, we are also quite concerned because he had gained virtually no weight for about 9 months. In the past 2-3 months we have started seeing some minimal weight gain again, so that is definitely improvement as well, but not as much as we would like to see.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read all of this, and thanks in advance for any thoughts! We are beyond frustrated with the lack of answers and improvement. I would appreciate any input or advice so, so much.

Kristi

(edited for typos)

Edited by tripletmom (10/25/10 01:47 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: 2 yr old son recently diagnosed with IBS new
      #361690 - 10/25/10 02:03 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

Your son sure has under gone a through examination. Reading your posting I noticed that you did not mention tests for sugar malabsorption (lactose/fructose). The later is often overlooked. These sugars are known to cause causes osmotic diarrhea in infants. I wonder if it was just missed from the list. In case it hasn't been considered here is a lovely article by the American Academy of Pediatricians on The Use and Misuse of Fruit Juice in Pediatrics that may give you some insights.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#361707 - 10/26/10 02:46 PM
kem

Reged: 06/09/10

Hi, So sorry to read of your son's troubles. I can only comment on this part, but hopefully others will reply:

Quote:

Is it possible the lyphocytic colitis is unrelated, and he as both colitis and IBS?

Why not? That could be.

Quote:

Can IBS w/ chronic diarrhea cause colitis?

I have been told and have read over and over again that the answer to this question is unequivocally "No, IBS can not lead to any of the inflammatory diseases." That's what the docs and researchers all say. (They're not so united on whether or not it could be the other way around - that an IBD might cause IBS for some of the folks that have both.)

hth and good luck!
kem (daughter w/ibs-d)

#361708 - 10/26/10 03:25 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Has he had ear infections or any other health issue where he would have taken antibiotics since he was born? Does he have any other health issues? -eczema, asthma? Do you live in a water-damaged or moldy/mildewy home? Do you have a basement? I would suggest eliminating any processed foods, and go whole natural foods..they don't come in a bag or box. Limit grains and refined/processed sugars.

#361709 - 10/26/10 03:26 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Oh yeah, is he taking probiotics? If not, I would recommend those, as well.

#361720 - 10/27/10 12:16 PM
tripletmom

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! for the responses and suggestions.

To answer a few of the questions . . . He has been on probiotics since about 6 mos old, and I have doubled and tripled his dose with no noticeable change. He also takes a supplement that has 6 different digestive enzymes.

I have always been pretty hard core about my kids diet. We eat a mostly organic, whole foods diet--fruit, vegetables, raw dairy (although Matteo has been off all dairy since June), whole grains, farm fresh eggs and all-natural pastured/grass-fed meat. They eat very very limited processed foods and virtually no sugar. Since reading Eating for IBS, I have loosened up on the white flour, and have been buying or making white or partially white bread.

They eat a ton of fruit, but we have only started giving them juice recently, to make sure we get Matteo's supplements down him. But it is usually only 4 oz/day dilluted with 4 oz water.

One of the stool samples was to test for malabsorpbtion issues, but I'm not sure if it was just fat malabsorbtion or also glucose and fructose. He has not had the hydrogen breath test for fructose malabsorption. I read somewhere it cannot be given to toddlers, do you know if this is true? Is that the only method for testing for fructose malabsorbtion? Definitely worth following up on that. Our pedi did have us take him off all fruit and juice for two weeks and there was no noticeable difference, but he was still on dairy and eggs at that point.

Our allergist does not believe there are any food allergies and she and our pedi are both recommending putting him back on dairy and eggs, because of concern about his lack of weight gain. But I have been hesitant because we have seen some improvement since taking him off these foods, and if they are IBS triggers as well it seems better to keep him off of them even if it is not an allergy.

One last question -- I do think we are seeing some improvement from the IBS diet and the solufiber (he has 2-3 tbsp/day). Based on that (and all of the other info), would that lead you to believe it is IBS? Or (I am guessing) will the diet and fiber still help, even if there is another cause for the diarrhea and pain?

My mommy gut is telling me there is something else going on, but no one else agrees and my pedi thinks I need to give up my "obsessive" quest to find a cause and accept that it is IBS and just try to deal with the symptoms.

Thank you again for the thoughts and suggestions!! And if anyone else has more thoughts I would love to hear them!

Kristi

#361721 - 10/27/10 12:37 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I don't know if a fructose malabsorption test can be given to toddlers. To the best of my knowledge the only tests for fructose malabsorption is a breath test OR the withdrawal of foods, particularly fruits and juices, that contain more fructose than glucose.

Generally speaking the symptoms decrease or disappear with in a week or two after removing high excess fructose foods if they are a problem. You might try removing the problematic fruits and their juices (apples, pears, watermelon, raisins, etc) and other foods like dried fruits, honey from the diet. Berries, bananas and citrus fruits are fine but stones fruit like plums and peaches contain sorbitol another malabsorbed sugar alcohol.

Table 2 in this extensive article on fructose and other sugar malabsorption problems gives you some more information on the fructose & glucose content of various foods. Also, Figure 2 in this article on fructose and IBS has list of favorable and unfavorable foods which you may find useful.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#361722 - 10/27/10 12:40 PM
tripletmom

Oh, and I should have said, he has never had an ear infection. He has been on antibiotics only one time, just this past August for a nasal infection. This was well after the scopes and biopsy finding lymphocytic colitis. he has no asthma or environmental allergies, (only the possible dairy and egg allergies, which are very much in question) and we don't have any mold or mildew that we know of.

Thanks again!

#361996 - 11/10/10 07:48 PM
Kgoing

Reged: 06/06/10
Loc: Baytown, Texas USA

Hi Kristi, my son was diagnoised with IBS at 3 but we are on the other end of the spectrum with C-IBS. I have not gone though all that you have but I wanted to encourage you to trust your mommy gut. You know your child better than any doctor. I wish you luck in finding an anwser for your baby.
Kelli

#362029 - 11/13/10 06:45 PM
tripletmom

Thank you so much, Kelli! It is so hard to have young kids with GI issues, I wish you and your family all the best as well. -Kristi

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 431 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7992

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review