All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Bread - feel like I can't win
      #361586 - 10/21/10 10:14 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I am really having trouble finding a bread that works for me. Whole grain bread gives me too much gas, but white/sourdough makes me C, as does rice bread. Since Heather recommends white/sourdough, I wonder if I'm blaming it on C when it's not the problem. But I also read so much about how white flour is constipating - and people in my life have often expressed surprise when they've seen me eating it, since they know I am C - so i am finding it harder to eat it without feeling like I am making a bad situation worse.
I only eat bread at lunchtime, as a sandwich. But lately I've been thinking about giving it up completely since no matter which one I eat, it seems like a no-win situation. Any thoughts?

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bread - feel like I can't win new
      #361587 - 10/21/10 10:51 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Some individuals with GI disorders have troubles with wheat based products, in particular, fructans. Check first article linked to in my signature. In particular, read the information on fructans.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#361590 - 10/21/10 12:25 PM
renee21

Hi Syl, yeah, I didn't eat wheat for well over a decade. Didn't really help my symptoms, though. Recently I received intensive treatment for anorexia (a separate issue from my IBS, but certainly connected), and the focus in treatment was on reintroducing a lot of the foods I'd cut out, including wheat, dairy and red meat. I didn't feel much better, but I didn't feel worse, either. So I'm torn right now between eliminating things again, or giving my body time to possibly adjust to them...

As for the FODMAPS approach, yes I am interested in it, but again, I am worried about going on yet another type of diet since everyone - nutritionist, therapist, naturopath, GI - is tellign me not to. Did you actually get a doctor or dietician to help you with the FODMAPS approach, or did you just decide to do it on your own?

--------------------

#361591 - 10/21/10 12:53 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

If you didn't notice wheat made things worse then don't worry about removing from your diet.

I have been following the research from the Australian GI research group for a few years that did the clinical trials on the FODMAP approach to managing GI symptoms. I am quite familiar with the physiology and food chemistry behind the diet so I didn't need advice from a dietitian. I did pass the information on to my GP who is quite interested in the approach since it has been clinically test on a variety of GI disorders not just IBS.

You might pass on this information to your GI/GP doctor along with a complete reference to the latest published research article (see below). You might ask him for a referral to a dietitian who could help you with the diet. It can be a bit difficult to understand and follow. Also, it doesn't include information about removing well know GI stimulates such as caffeine, alcohol, etc or the benefits of soluble fiber and some probiotics. It focuses solely on a particular kind of carbohydrates that are known to be malabsorbed causing GI discomfort.

Red meat is a dense protein which is known to slow down GI motility in order to digest it. If I was IBS-C I think I would definitely reduce if not eliminate red meat. Dairy is one of those things that effects a significant number of individuals with IBS but not everyone.

Reference
Gibson, P. R. & Shepherd, S. J. Evidence-based dietary management of functional gastrointestinal symptoms: The FODMAP approach. . Advances in Clinical Practice 25, 252-258 (2010).

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#361592 - 10/21/10 01:03 PM
renee21

Thank you for your feedback, Syl. I've only had steak a few times, I'm not a regular eater. Dairy doesn't seem to make things worse - I eat only lactose-free stuff, plus kefir or yoghurt. But I will speak to my GP/GI about this.

--------------------

#361602 - 10/21/10 05:35 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Try a different lunch for a while. I find something about sandwiches to be problematic- not just the bread. It wouldn't hurt to try something else for a while.

Also you shouldn't eat any dairy, whether lactose free or not. It makes C worse.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#361610 - 10/21/10 06:20 PM
renee21

Hi Minnie, I know that dairy is not EFI - I didn't eat it for around a decade, but went back on it this year after my endrocrionologist basically begged me to, because I have osteoperosis. How do all of you dairy-free people get enough calcium? Calcium supplements made me constipated, and I'd have to eat a bushel of greens to get the equivalent calcium. I am very concerned about my bones since I was diagnosed with osteoperosis in my 20s (I'm in my 30s now).

--------------------

#361611 - 10/21/10 07:08 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Is it possible it could be the yeast in the bread causing your problems? I LOVED bread at one time but developed a yeast intolerance later in life. bread with yeast causes much gas and tummy turmoil. I now eat yeast-free millet bread, no problem. My Dad and sister-in-laws have found the same.

#361613 - 10/21/10 07:32 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Have you tried toasting your bread? That is supposed to be easier to digest. Also, some breads have more fiber than others. I notice that some tortilla wraps tend to have more fiber than white bread. The kind I have has 4 grams of fiber per wrap. What kind do you usually eat?

#361620 - 10/22/10 06:12 AM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

hi renee- have you tried sprouted bread? like ezekiel/manna? the manna bread is also yeast free, which may help. they have some really lovely flavors, i especially love the cakey-ness of the manna bread. sprouted grains are much easier to digest than processed flour. if you are used to regular bread it is a little hard to get used to. i find that it fulfills that "whole grain" taste of whole wheat bread which i can't eat very easily. worth a try...here's some links:

http://www.mannaorganicbakery.com/

http://www.foodforlife.com/

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#361627 - 10/22/10 08:14 AM
renee21

Sprouted Ezekiel bread killed me, way too gassy. Possibly because there are also sprouted beans/lentils in there.

I used to eat that manna bread, found it quite tasty. Maybe I'll go back to it. It's not really sandwhich material but thanks for reminding me of it!

--------------------

#361640 - 10/22/10 03:07 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Sprouted Ezekiel also has yeast, doesn't it?

#361642 - 10/22/10 03:47 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Did you take your Calcium with magnesium?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#361673 - 10/24/10 02:55 AM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

yes, but manna bread does not.

--------------------
stable IBS-A

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2553 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5203

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review